ZD30 Idler Pully/Fan Belt how to.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
re belt change

Now remove the tensioner assembly and undo the pulley using a torx driver, replace with new pulley.

Thanks for your write up will be a big help, anty timing marks that need to be lined up when changing belt? thanks Headly

Thanks for the write up, is there any timing marks that need to be aligned when reinstalling new belt< and do you know if there is a drain plug on zd 30 engine block for coolant? thanks

G'Day Team

My idler pulley bearing shagged itself the other day in Darwin ( ZD30 - 117,000k's ). I managed to get it on the Ghan and down to Adelaide. I pulled everything off today using this handy how to. It is quite simple....I'm awaiting parts from Nizzbits before i put it all back together.

My only question is where is the cylinder block drain plug. Ive had a look in the workshop manaul. Page MA-34. I had a quick look but couldn't locate it. Im going to flush the radiator while i was there aswell...

Any hints or pics would be greatly appreciated.

G'Day Team

My idler pulley bearing shagged itself the other day in Darwin ( ZD30 - 117,000k's ). I managed to get it on the Ghan and down to Adelaide. I pulled everything off today using this handy how to. It is quite simple....I'm awaiting parts from Nizzbits before i put it all back together.

My only question is where is the cylinder block drain plug. Ive had a look in the workshop manaul. Page MA-34. I had a quick look but couldn't locate it. Im going to flush the radiator while i was there aswell...

Any hints or pics would be greatly appreciated.

If its just the bearing thats stuffed, just tap out a press in a new one. If you have a large socket, hammer and decent vice you can do it all for 5 dollars (cost of bearing).

as for drain plug... not sure.

G'day,you can do this without pulling all the other stuff out,jump under her,remove bash plate if it's on locate tensioner nut and release tension and remove belt like Yakka explained.then grab a small ratchet with a torx bit,t50 size for memory and undo the bolt holding the pully on,remove replace and put back together.its a little tight and with a L piece torx tool you can only do half turns so it takes a little longer which is why the ratchet is better.my pully tore off last Friday afternoon outside auto one which was handy haha and had it all replaced and going again in 20 min or so.

Replaced my idler pulley assembly today. Put on a new fan belt and drained radiator coolant aswell.

Here are some pics of the damaged caused. I think my tensioner had seized up and that eventually caused the bearing to shag itself. I put the new one on today and getting the belt on was easy as. It was actually under spring tension where as the old one wasn't.

Big shout out to NIZZBITS who sent me the parts required yesterday and i had them at lunch time today.....

Attachments

• Idler Pulley.jpg
    Idler Pulley.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 224
  • Idler Pulley 2.jpg
    Idler Pulley 2.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 215
Just did this in exactly 39 minutes without doing shroud or fan, just got in there took belt off, tensioner off and then replaced pulley, cleaned it all up and back together :) 39mins and the CCTV cam in garage can confirm this, including the pet Lab supervising the whole time lol

Thanks for the tips now I can have a go Iam from Ireland and I think I have the only 3ltr ZD 30 only joking I just can't get info on any as there all 2.5ltr anyway thanks again

Jimmy

Did the pulley, brand new and a new belt and its still squeaking. Stops with wd40 though, annoying.

Cheers for the write up. Very helpful

Last edited:
Did mine :) took a pic of the tensioner assembly showing what part to apply the breaker bar/socket to... The yellow tags are just so I can keep an eye on what I've done at a quick glance and make sure nothing is coming lose or broken... If someone could post the torque settings for the mounting bolts that would be brrriliant-Tweak to the rescue:)

Sorry I cant find the pic of the assembly ! If I find it i'll post it

Attachments

• 20150622_155135.jpg
    20150622_155135.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 132
Can anyone remember what size torx driver you used to remove the pulley? I don't want to remove the belt and tensioner assembly only to realise I need a larger torx bit. I have a torx set which goes up to T45. I am worried that the torx screw holding the pulley on is T50 or bigger

Latest posts

Back