ZD30 Rebuild

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedoreido

Reaction score
Hello

I am a serial Gumtree trawler. I recently came across a 2006 D22 Navara with the 3.0L ZD30DDT engine. It had 200K on the clock and the engine had a suspected holed piston. The ute was a one owner vehicle and in very good condition besides the cactus engine.

The ute ran when I purchased it but couldnt even muster enough go to drive up the curb to my house.

My intentions were to remove the engine, rebuild it and then keep the vehicle. This however was not the case and the reason for me sharing this story is to provide others an accurate cost breakdown should they choose to replace their engine themselves.

After I removed my engine I found that Piston No.1 had a small hole and the head had a crack between the injection point and the valves on every cylinder. After doing some quick maths I decided that rebuilding would not make financial sense.

After scouring Ebay I chose to buy a reconditioned long motor from magengines.com. The engine was sent from the UAE. The engine came with no sump as apparently it differs from the Australian spec one. The only other differences I noticed were that there was an extra outlet from the water pump that I blocked off and the oil pump also had an extra outlet. To get around this I used the new oil pump with my existing pipping from the old engine.

I have only just finished installing the engine and have only put a handful of KMs on it but so far so good.

Below is a break down of the costs that I had in going from the old engine to a installed reconditioned engine. I have split the costs into necessary and optional extras I chose to do while I had the engine apart. I had most of the necessary tools and borrowed what I didnt have.

Necessary

* $2757 Reconditioned Long motor couriered to my doorstep
* $440 Customs duties
* $12 CD Rom with ZD30 engine details
* $60 Engine Oil
* $57 Donaldson Fuel, Oil and Air filter kit
* $20 Coolant

Optional

*$15 EGR Blanking plate
* $557 Exedy Heay Duty clutch (very easy to do whilst the engine is removed)
* $70 Glow plugs
* $120 Transmission oil

All told there was $3346 in Necessary costs and $762 in optional extras. As I purchased a long motor I do have some leftover parts that are of value. I havnt had a chance to sell these yet but they will help bring the rebuild cost down a little.

So all told I now have a rebuilt serviced engine and a brand new clutch in my D22 for a bit over $4000. If anyone is thinking of going down this route to get their ZD30 running again and has any questions then please feel free to ask me.

I will provide an update on how things are progressing once I have put a few thousand on the engine and clutch.

Last edited:
welcome to the forum
thanks for sharing your story
$3200 for a rebuilt long engine sounds like good value?
was that with injector pmp

Welcome aboard!

Not a bad result, especially if the ute didn't set you back a lot to begin with.

Not sure I'd want a second-hand engine from UAE if they do this to them while they're in the car:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc4HqoenBms[/YT]

I guess they just clean the cobwebs out now and again!

Back