ZD30!!! should i be worried?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazz

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

have been reading alot about the zd30 on patrols and their failure rate, after reading all of this it has me worried about the reliability of the zd30 in my 2005 navara i have ha no issues as yet at 140k on the clock. i have a turbo timer. is it an engine capable of doing 300k plus if looked after properly?

is there anyone that has had issues with the zd30 engines? if so what year?

Nope. Life is too short to worry about something that may never happen. I personally worry more about my own health than my ZD30's.

Nope. Life is too short to worry about something that may never happen. I personally worry more about my own health than my ZD30's.

very good point, i do have the problem of worrying to much lol. if it is bound to happen i may consider a d40 or d22 with a yd25.

still would like to know if anyone has had any problems after 2002 i guess

Apparently the problem has something to do with the variable turbo with the ZD30 which is on the patrol and not on the Navs( so I have been told).

I get why you would worry. I looked at a Patrol 02 zd30. Did a search on the Patrol Forum and there is plenty of trol owners opting out of it when they go. plenty more tho with NO issue.
Try a search here Bazz, have read a bit mostly +

I get why you would worry. I looked at a Patrol 02 zd30. Did a search on the Patrol Forum and there is plenty of trol owners opting out of it when they go. plenty more tho with NO issue.
Try a search here Bazz, have read a bit mostly +

yeah i have read all through here every thread regarding the zd30, people recommending fitting an intercooler, catch can and doing the EGR blocking mod, i have bugger all room left for the intercooler and catch can, have already installed two stage fiuel filter, snorkel dual batteries and to be honest by the time im finished i may as well have bought a younger model d40, or d22 and who is to say by the time you have done those mods it really makes a difference, i have read several gu patrol owners who have done those mods and still BANG!

seeing that dave has done well over 200k with the same engine + mods is reassuring. just leaves me unsure lol

the navaras with issues tend to be pre 2003. a 2005 will be fine.

catch can is probably no1 life saving mod. 2nd would be blocking egr. doing both stops the intake from clogging up which is a main cause of engine problems in a lot of vehicles.

if you have done dual filter just watch the fuel restriction. these pumps don't handle fuel restriction.

oh ok fair enough,

well ive heard so much about it i already have spent so much money on the nav i may as well spend 100 bucks and fit the catch can and do the EGR mod.

Yeah the guy i bought it from installed them and he had to install a fuel pump to fix that issue.

I have even considered selling the nav with all the issues surrounding the zd30 (mainly pootrols) and getting td4.2t patrol ute to ease my mind lol

cant beleive no one has said to get a exhaust temp gauge. thats probably the most important thing on a diesel, if its chiped its a must.

driving my dads rodeo with a chip i can get the exhaust temps to reach dangerous levles in just 5 seconds of full throttle in 5th gear (overtaking)

in my nav that isnt chiped its usualy ok when unloaded on road. tow a heavy trailer or beach driving and its very easy to go into dangerous temps.

remeber these have aluminium pistons, aluminum melts around 600 degrees

Last edited:
Bazz

I just bought an 04 D22 with 325k on the clock. Seemed to go just as well as one that I looked at with 95k. Took the front rotors off last week and they are still the original that haven't even been machined, which leads me to believe that very little has been done to this vehicle. After having a bit of a look around this forum, I plan on doing the catch can and egr. I want to chip it for towing so will also do a pyro gauge (EGT). May at some time look at an intercooler as well.

The prob with the Patrols is the variable boost, they apparently sit around 20 psi and if there is any interference anywhere along the system can boost to 26 psi upwards and boom. I know of a couple who have had this prob, they have limited the boost to 15 psi and they have had many miles of no probs at all.

I am new to this whole ZD30 concept, but the research I did before hand leads me to believe that they are very reliable and longevity is pretty good.

Dave

I fitted an I/Cooler with no probs at all and with great results. Could some please tell me what "catch can" is?

Bazz

I just bought an 04 D22 with 325k on the clock. Seemed to go just as well as one that I looked at with 95k. Took the front rotors off last week and they are still the original that haven't even been machined, which leads me to believe that very little has been done to this vehicle. After having a bit of a look around this forum, I plan on doing the catch can and egr. I want to chip it for towing so will also do a pyro gauge (EGT). May at some time look at an intercooler as well.

The prob with the Patrols is the variable boost, they apparently sit around 20 psi and if there is any interference anywhere along the system can boost to 26 psi upwards and boom. I know of a couple who have had this prob, they have limited the boost to 15 psi and they have had many miles of no probs at all.

I am new to this whole ZD30 concept, but the research I did before hand leads me to believe that they are very reliable and longevity is pretty good.

Dave

thats awesome makes me feel a lot more confident seeing high km's like that. thanks for your input. yeah im considering doing the catch can myself will go ahead and do the egr mod tomorow after work.

cant beleive no one has said to get a exhaust temp gauge. thats probably the most important thing on a diesel, if its chiped its a must.

driving my dads rodeo with a chip i can get the exhaust temps to reach dangerous levles in just 5 seconds of full throttle in 5th gear (overtaking)

in my nav that isnt chiped its usualy ok when unloaded on road. tow a heavy trailer or beach driving and its very easy to go into dangerous temps.

yeah i have been told that before i have a turbo timer, not to worried about temps at general use as i have a snorkel fitted giving me a much cooler air intake and i doubt i will ever tow anything most of my driving is on the highway only goes off road 1% of the time

Are you sure about this?

I've had my gauge upto 600 maybe even 650 before, yet to have any problems.
The probe is in the manifold.

I read somewhere a while back that the d40's can reach 7-800 pretty easily.

well for the meanwhile i will go ahead and do the EGR mod and hang off with the catch can for now.

how thick should the blanking plate be?

i can make it out of steel, aluminium, or copper. which would be best?

Latest posts

Back