Brand new D22, Suspension noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2605

Reaction score
Hi all.
So i picked up my brand new D22 STR 6 days ago and since then it has developed a "thumping sound" through the drivers side front suspension. This is only happening when I take left hand corners that have bumps in the road. Its not the steering stoppers as its not hapening on full lock, just while taking a corner or roundabout that had bumps or put holes.

The thump / knock sounds like its coming up through the floor. Its not happening at all from the left hand side and also doesnt happen on right hand turns.

So I take the truck back to the dealer today, the mechanic gets in it with me and it barley does it.
He checks over it (if you could call it a check when they only spent 5 minutes) and they deem that car to be all ok!!
I get in it , drive it down the road and 1st left hand corner, knock, thump knock!!

The car is brand new and stadrad with no changes on it. Its like when the weight transfer happens on left turns its causing some issue.

Maybe sway bar, torsion bar, who knows...

Any feedback would be very much appreciated..

Cheers

Ben..

Sounds like front body mount.

Without passenger it rattles, but with some wieght over it (passenger in seat) it calms down.

Just check 'em all (8) with a socket set. (17, 19 & 21mm from memory)

That sounds like what was happening before I wound my torsion bars up. But that was after fitting bullbar and winch. How much room is above the lower bump stop?
Its sort of a 'thunk' sound.
I'm sure the boys on here will give you some ideas.

Welcome anyway!

tommy, heata
Thanks for that. Both of those explanations do make sense.
I am a fairly big fella so my weight on drivers side and no one else in the cabin is when this noise is more apparent, when the tech from the dealer got into the car it was hard to get the noise to happen!!

heata, the car has a steel nissan winch bar on the front and the torison bars are still at original factory setting. not very much of a gap between front control arm and bump stop at all..

Whats your thoughts?

Keep the feed back coming guys , its very much appreciated.
Looking forward to being involved in this forum, its seems to have a great deal of knowlege.

Ben..

Last edited:
Ben, there are a lot of guys on here with a great deal more knowledge than me, but it really sounds like the torsion bars need to be wound up. I'm sure others will advise. Before winding I had about 6mm gap at the bottom, and even a corner with minor ruts would cause 'thunk-thunk-thunk' as I went round. After I wound up, I had about 22mm gap and no issue, and much better handling. I think the general consensus is that the standard torsion bars won't hold a bar, winch etc. I still have standard bars and so far so good (14000km) Although I expect that heavy duty bars are required in the long run. From memory the steel bar is 70kg and the winch 38kg, so that is a lot of weight, and it is a long way forward. Do a search for 'winding up the torsion bars' there is heaps in the thread.

Oil changes are very easy to do. Do NOT attempt to change it without also changing the oil filter or without the necessary tools.

heata
When you say "even a corner with minor ruts would cause 'thunk-thunk-thunk' as I went round" you do meen on tar seal roads? This is happening on tar corners that have bumps in them, havny had time to go off the black top yet but will be this weekend...

Both Ben, dirt with ruts, and blacktop with just minor bumps, or even a tight round-about that I went a bit quick through. Hard to describe, but it felt like the whole front would 'dive' through corners, and generaly felt 'sloppy'

If its Wat I've had its ur body mounts and they have fallen out or become brittle and loose. I have a 09 str and had to change body mounts cause of poor product. Was a warranty job so no cost but haven't had issue since. If u live in Brisbane take it to springwood Nissan as they have no issues claiming warranty stuff.

Goodluck

Not good enough ben, ring Consimer Affairs and then tell the dealer you are going to establish a complaint file against them. Even if the Consumer mob are useless, which they usually are, this should be enough to motivate the dealer to do the right thing.
I had the same problem with a brand new Ford and was told that rattles and knocks weren't covered by warranty. Turned out that the whole steering rack hadn't been tightened up at the factory.

I would be at my Nissan dealer kicking up a massive fuss until they find it and fix it. You shouldnt have to be tampering with it at this early stage in it's life. If they've fitted the steel bar then get them to make any necessary suspension tweaks etc. They've gotta be held accountable!

Hi all.
It went back to the dealer today.
On Friday I checked all the body mounts and found them to be fine. I then made adjustments to torsion bars and still the same issues are there.
I took the car away on a trip out to Mudgee area on the weekend that involved country roads with some dirt and it almost became un drivable.

It felt almost like the shock absorber has collapsed because when the very lows clunks happen the car does not feel very stable at all.

Back at the dealer today and have told them that just driving it around the block will not fix the issue and they will have to go out onto some open roads that have some bumps in it. His answer was that they will do their best but do suffer from time restraints so it’s hard to road test too far away from the dealer.

I am furious!

I will see what the come back to me with tomorrow and then if I am not happy I will take the matter further.

So far the experience of buying my very 1st brand new truck has been very stressful, upsetting and disappointing.

Ben..

Here is how mine was delivered from the dealer with the factory steel bar fitted. I very quickly learnt about torsion bars.

Baloons037Standarde-mailview.jpg

I am furious!

I will see what the come back to me with tomorrow and then if I am not happy I will take the matter further.

So far the experience of buying my very 1st brand new truck has been very stressful, upsetting and disappointing.

Ben..

I hear you Brother

To the guys who spoke about the body mounts well done.

It took Nissan 6 days to work it out..... LOL In the end I spat the dumy and wrote an email to the dealer principle explaining how angry i was with the entire situation. So they changed 3 body mounts until the noise had gone...

So its back and its perfect so I am happy. Now I can get back to planning the fit out to turn it into a great tourer.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Ben..

i have the same noise in mine wights traralgon told me it was my tyres i think that is bullshit mine is 2010 alloy bar 265 75 cooperst tyres

Latest posts

Back