ICOM 400Pro & Outback overhead console install @ review D22.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vornar

Reaction score
I have recently purchased the ICOM 400pro and an outback overhead console. I purchased the ICOM and a GME aerial from Prestige Communications, and the console i sourced from ARB in Dandenong.

I have begun to install the two items in my D22, and i must say, i am very impressed with the quality on both units as i unpack them.
I will go through the install, but i will first post some pics of the unpacked gear.

More pics and complete write up to follow.

Attachments

• IMAG0266.jpg
    IMAG0266.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 811
  • IMAG0267.jpg
    IMAG0267.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 818
  • IMAG0269.jpg
    IMAG0269.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 872
  • IMAG0270.jpg
    IMAG0270.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 856
I was at ARB the other day pricing one of these for my D40, my radio is a Uniden but the guy at the shop says he'll just throw in the suitable mount for whatever radio I want because he has a stack of them he just doesn't keep too many consoles in stock.

I'm hoping to mount a DVD screen (slave to the master screen and drive unit which will be in the front) on the two rear mounting screws which will mean a cable run for both the coax and the power and I haven't figured out the best way to do this yet but when I have I'll probably get off my arse and buy the console.

What did ARB in Dandy charge for a console?

Hey Krafty.

ARB stung me $415 for the console and $10 for the ICOM insert for it. The cable run on the D22's is easy, not sure on the best path on the 40 though. Should be heaps of room in the A pillar.

Cheers.

I got quoted $430 with the insert thrown in so they are fairly close between stores.

I haven't looked at going up the a pillar but it was my consideration, all my cables currently run from the passenger side and it would also be easy to use the b pillar but it would mean pulling more of the roof paneling back so I'm thinking the a pillar will be a better option.

Will be looking further into it in the next few weeks, ideally I'd like either a quick release mount or a fold away mount for the DVD screen just to make it less obvious but as yet I haven't figured out how that's going to happen.

Hey vomar did ARB Dandy have the roof consoles in stock or did you have to order. I've got to come down to the big smoke sometime in the next few days if they had them in stock I might consider dropping in since my bloke only orders them as needed.

Perfect timing mate, as I am going to get one of these Outback consoles as well. Quoted $430.00 from ARB here as well Krafty.

I'm just trying to save the extra dollars to get a UHF as well, and put them both in at the same time. The consoles are pretty easy, (had Outback send me the fitting guide), UHF hopefully not too difficult. ARB want $170.00 to fit UHF and console.

the 400 pro is the king i think when it comes to consumer uhf radios. very solid and does everything. pm me if you want a 77 channel config file for it.

Hi Fella's

I have been Quoted $425 for one from ARB in Sydney.I already have a GME TX4400 radio in my navara.I will have to find out if it can be reprogrammed for the new 80 channel uhf radio frequencies.If not I am up for a new uhf radio

Shane

Well, the install was bloody easy, even with the radio install at the same time.
All the wiring on the console was pre-wired to connect straight into the factory harness, all that's needed is a screwdriver and some electrical tape to seal the joins. The hardest bit was running the UHF wiring from the second battery and aerial, around the passenger side, in through the large wiring grommet, and up the A pillar.
I am very happy with the final result, a very big tick for both companies on two quality products.

I have attached some random instal and final shots.
Its hard to get a photo of just how good the finished product looks.

Attachments

• IMAG0277.jpg
    IMAG0277.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 746
  • IMAG0278.jpg
    IMAG0278.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 742
  • IMAG0279.jpg
    IMAG0279.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 742
  • IMAG0280.jpg
    IMAG0280.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 848
  • IMAG0281.jpg
    IMAG0281.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 938
Oh, and ARB didn't have it in stock, there was a 3 day wait for it to come in. Better to pre-order by phone. (Don't forget the insert for your radio if its not full DIN).:cheers!:

Attachments

• IMAG0282.jpg
    IMAG0282.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 691
  • IMAG0283.jpg
    IMAG0283.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 582
Great, thanks for the pics. How have you found the centre drop down storage compartment, roomy enough? One of the reasons I'm getting the Outback as well is because it uses newer LED lighting instead of the Dept Of The Interior model that reuses your old dull std lighting.

They certainly do look good installed with a UHF, I really don't think they are expensive either.

They use the existing interior light mount, and have a bracket that mounts behind the rear vision mirror if I remember correctly. No need to drill any extra holes etc. I've got the install guide on the laptop somewhere that Outback sent me when I inquired recently about them. Can't wait to get one.

Last edited:
Yep, Raywise is correct.

REAR END.
- Take cover off interior light.
- Unscrew interior light, (2 screws).
- Unplug interior light wiring. (2 wires).
- Screw in special mount plate into existing holes for interior light. (Placing a supplied earth strap under one screw).

FRONT END.
- Pull light cover off, (the one around the mirror). Disconnect the 2 wires and tuck away as they are not used.
- Unscrew rear view mirror, 3 screws.

- Plug in the console wiring to the interior light wiring.
- Have a mate hold the console in place against the roof.
- Install 2 screws into the rear plate.
- Install 3 screws into the old rear view mirror screws.
- Screw rear view mirror to console, holes and screws provided.

- Radio instalation involes running power and aerial up the A pillar and inside the head lining. I unscrewed the sun visor and pulled the A pillar cover off, then used a coathanger as a tracer.

Done... drink beer as required.

I can upload the install book if anyone wants a look... PM me or post it up.
The instuctions are VERY clear, easy as.
Cheers

How was the UHF install from the battery back? Easy enough to follow? So it was a case of mounting the aerial on a bracket on the left hand side of the bullbar (from drivers seat), running aerial and power leads through the engine bay, under dash and finally up into the A-Pillar space?

Hopefully can get my console and UHF ordered soon.

Hey Shaggy.

The instructions come with the unit and they are VERY easy to follow, even tell you where to sit to make the install easier.

The time consuming bit was running the UHF cabling, as i am obsessive/compulsive about the wiring and ran all the cabling under the bonnet in flexible conduit and cable tied it next to the main loom. I really took my time on that part as i wasnt in a hurry.

I was going to post the instructions so that people may be more at ease BEFORE purchasing the conole if they were unsure.

Vaughan.

Hi Fella's

Well with everyone talking about these console I went placed an order for today.It should arrive next week.Then when I have a free day I will install it.Let fun begin.

Shane

PS
Thanks for the instructions :cheers!:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back