audio set up/question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navdog_d40

Reaction score
hey guys

looking at doing the sound system in my nav
for tho's of you that have put a sound system in the d40 is it true u can fit 6x9 speakers in the front doors ??

dose this mean u run the split from the back to the front? or put the split in the back or get rid of the split ?

the guys in jb-hifi reckons i wont get a 6x9 in the front? also thinks if i run a spit to the back to the front with the 6x9 it would sound bad..

i have 2 amps kickin around and a sub in the shed thought i might as well pit them in but just need speakers and a wiring kit .

so any info or how u have done yours would be awesome cheers
:blingbling::blingbling::redcool:

ooooo and also have any of you got water in while 4x4ing and the speakers have got wrecked???????????? cheers

From a "sound stage" point of view:
You want your directional sound from the front (read vocals and treble/drum high hats, cymbals), and your "non directional" sounds from the back and "fill" (bass and presence).
The HUGE plus of 6x9s in the front doors is the mid bass and kick drums that will sound so much better than if the 6x9s were in the back :)
I would see if you can fit the 6x9s into the front doors, with a decent set of 6.5" two ways in the back with a capacitor wired into the tweeter to knock the very top off the highs to keep your sound stage up front.
If you just want volume then just fit what-ever will fit where and drive it hard with those amps, either way you get what you want. 'cos it's your ute.

From a "sound stage" point of view:
You want your directional sound from the front (read vocals and treble/drum high hats, cymbals), and your "non directional" sounds from the back and "fill" (bass and presence).
The HUGE plus of 6x9s in the front doors is the mid bass and kick drums that will sound so much better than if the 6x9s were in the back :)
I would see if you can fit the 6x9s into the front doors, with a decent set of 6.5" two ways in the back with a capacitor wired into the tweeter to knock the very top off the highs to keep your sound stage up front.
If you just want volume then just fit what-ever will fit where and drive it hard with those amps, either way you get what you want. 'cos it's your ute.

thanks for the info mate good stuff cheers

ooooo and also have any of you got water in while 4x4ing and the speakers have got wrecked???????????? cheers

I was bogged once and water came in it came prob half way up the speaker. I watched the water vibrate from the music for maybe 5 mins till i was pulled out. That happened ages ago and the speaker is still going fine. But i dont really want to try it again

yeah that's why i don't really want to put a lot of money in to speakers that might get wet someday lol duno thinking

the jaycar range is fairly well priced and sounds as good as any too. When it comes to speakers cost is really irrelevant it depends how each one sounds to the listener.
the 6.5 in the rear door will fill out the sound fine. thats one of my next moves in my 08 RX.
good luck.

this is true yeah ill go 6x9 in the front and 6.5 in the back just work out where i should do the split

100% can fit 6x9 in the front doors with no cutting. I have installed Alpine type S 6x9 in the front of my Nav and 6" in the rear doors. Rear doors are a little harder as the speaker is mounted to the spacer/cup so have to bust the speaker off and cut the cup to size.

If you get stuck at all feel free to shoot me a message on here and il be happy to give you a buzz and talk you through it.

timmyd,
Any chance you took a pic or two of the rear doors when you had them apart?
Did you cut the speaker off the cup mount with a die grinder or such or just snips or a hacksaw?

hey mate, i did take photos when the trims were off but lost the card out of my camera. I will do my best to take the trims off again this weekend and get some photos for you all. I just got a pair of side cutters, cut the speaker away and cut away anything else in the way of the new speaker. Once cut away i had to make some 18mm MDF spacers, door trim still went on perfect. I will get photos this weekend for you and upload them asap.

hey mate, i did take photos when the trims were off but lost the card out of my camera. I will do my best to take the trims off again this weekend and get some photos for you all. I just got a pair of side cutters, cut the speaker away and cut away anything else in the way of the new speaker. Once cut away i had to make some 18mm MDF spacers, door trim still went on perfect. I will get photos this weekend for you and upload them asap.

thanks for the input mate

so u have 6" splits ?? where did u put the split if so cheers !!

Just put some 6x9's in the fron doors today.
Kenwood from super cheap auto $69.00
They fit straight in no problem.

I put 6" x 9" two ways in the front with tweeters disconnected for the splits & 6" woofer from splits in the rear. Pioneer head unit lets me run these as subs which works with the levels set right. Didn't think it would work (nor did JB) but bugger me it does. Speakers are Alpine R Series.

i have fitted 6x9 in the front with 6.5 splits in the rear. amp is currently underneath the drivers seat but will more to behind the rear seat one I purchase a 12" sub.

Back