blue spot light covers now illegal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no she said spot light protectors. yeah i had to buy some new clear ones from arb too. now i got 2 pairs lol. i wish she pulled me off instead of pulling me over. would of been i better outcome lol

That'd be a complete comedy in the courtroom.

Police: "Did you know that blue spotlight covers are illegal?"

Blackstr: "Do you swallow?"

Just how fast can those paddy wagons go, anyway?

Hi BlackSTR

I think that she is a little confused, you are not allowed to have red, red/blue FLASHING lights on your car. She might have to read the rules again..

Cheers

I got pulled over about a month ago. Cop walked round checking for mods to my ute to (as well as being pulled over for speeding). He didn't say anything about my blue spotties (or a few other things).

If you're in Qld, check this link out for mod rules and look at p9 for the local rules on spotties:
http://tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/safet...ications/pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

"Additional pairs of headlights, showing a beam of white light only, may be fitted and must not affect the driver’s view. The headlights must be mounted symmetrically. Additional high beam headlights must extinguish automatically when low beam is selected.

Blue lights are not allowed on any vehicles except emergency vehicles (for example police, fire and rescue, and ambulance). Red lights and reflectors must face to the rear. White lights and reflectors must face forward. Yellow lights are not permitted except for clearance
lights on goods vehicles and buses, and indicators and fog lights on all vehicles."

I must say I would think they'd be pretty hard pressed to convince me my blue spotties show "blue light". They seem like a good "beam of white light" to me when i turn them on. I'd argue from that point if they pulled me up

cheers

I must say I would think they'd be pretty hard pressed to convince me my blue spotties show "blue light". They seem like a good "beam of white light" to me when i turn them on. I'd argue from that point if they pulled me up

I think you'd be right too, technically speaking.

But if you try to win an argument with a cop that's got an itchy ticket-finger, they're just as likely to start pulling the rule book out and measure everything to the nearest millimetre.

You can play it smart or really smart. For me, these are the times when it's far wiser to cop it on the chin, thank them and let them go after someone else.

In most states blue red or green covers will get you in to trouble if the cops decide that you need to be.

I have full on blue for my LightForce 240's as well as Crystal Blue. The full blues do give you full on blue light .I use the crystal blues as they take just enough of the glare off on coming traffic signs without too much loss of light

I have the Narva Ultima 175s mounted on my bullbar, clear lens covers, clear lens, but blue reflectors. Does my vehicle therefore contravene the Queensland mod rules?

White light shines forward.
However on reading the specs they are ADR approved with a maximum of 55w, they are supplied from the factory with 100w bulbs.

I can't see any reason why you would want any coloured reflectors or covers. They serve no purpose. I guess if you want your car to look nice and colourful it might serve a purpose but apart from that I see no need.

The Police are just doing their job. Even if they act a little bit 'gestapo' at first, I tend to cut them some slack - given that they are used to dealing with the lowest scum of society day-in, day-out - they always appreciate it. I'm sure the last thing they want after dealing with some low-life scum is to have to deal with some other smart arse mouthing off to them after being given a speeding ticket or whatever. There's dickheads in the police force the same as any job, and some of them just have shitty days like the rest of us, but you don't see people whinging and bitching about the check-out chick who didn't smile or the maccas chick who didn't ask you if you wanted fries with that....

I can't see any reason why you would want any coloured reflectors or covers. They serve no purpose. I guess if you want your car to look nice and colourful it might serve a purpose but apart from that I see no need.

I run the crystal blue lenses on my Lightforce lights to cut down on reflected glare from road signs. They do make a difference big time. With clear lenses the reflected light from signs on the sides of the roads is blinding.
The full on blue lenses are designed to cut down on reflection from snow and ice. So yes colour does make a difference.Different colours perform differently depending on conditions.

Yeah, I am quite familiar with luminous intensity and colour rendering etc (having done lighting engineering), but in most parts of Australia and under most conditions any colour other than various shades of white is of no real benefit.

The blue lenses may reduce visible glare, but only because they are inhibiting other spectrums of light. The best possible light for nearly any normal conditions for human eyesight is that closest to the colour of natural sunlight (5000-6000k).

Well I beg to differ
The crystal blue lenses still give a close to white colour but they do reduce the glare from street signs.
Personally I dont see what the deal is seeing under law we arent meant to use high beam in built up areas, hence flashing oncoming traffic to warm of blue light vehicles is actually illegal.
So therefore in reality no one should ever really see what colour we have with out driving lights.Other than that then legally if they say we cant have coloured lenses they must be saying we cant have any other colour at all on the front of our vehicles.
To me it just seems stupid that a state that seems to allow lights mounted above roof level will pick on the colour of the lenses of your lights. Sounds like some pencil neck got bored n decided to upset others just cos he could.

I do have one question tho and thats LightForce makes Black lense covers for their range of lights . Do they give out Black light lol .

I don't think the crystal blue should be illegal, given that most new prestige cars have zenon/blue headlights which look a blueish colour. As long as the lights put out a colour temperature within given values (say 2000k to 7000k) I don't think there should be a problem. Perhaps the legislation is not tightly focused enough to specify values, and the Police think that any colour other than translucent is illegal.

I guess my point is that I don't really know why the authorities don't allow it, but I just don't really see any point to having red,green,purple coloured lenses, other than someone, somewhere must think they look cool??? The coloured lense covers I've seen have mostly been on the typical "BnS" utes with no fat chicks stickers & kenworth mud flaps, so you can see where I'm coming from....

Hey if its got the Bull lights on the plastic sports bar and the RM Willaims decal on the back winscreen and the mono flap then its gotta be too cool to let the cops near it lol

I have heard that the red lenses work well for dust but other than that I agree. Why have green or whatever. My understanding is Blue is for less reflewction like snow conditions etc. Yellow or Amber for fog but then you wouldnt have hi bean on in the fog. red for Dust . otherwise have no idea

either that or the driver smells so much of body odour and alcohol the cops don want to go near it....lol

I am actually a member of a Ute car club and one of the rules is no Redneck Utes lol , No RM Williams stickers and No 4 Poster bars on lowered utes lol
Certainly keeps a lot of those type utes well away from the group.

Sounds like a Monty Python sketch
Bruce will now read the faculty rules
Thankyou Bruce,
Rule 1) No poofters.
Rule 2) I dont want to catch anyone not drinking
Rule 3) No Poofters
Rule 4)............
and so on

Back