Brand New D40 Turbo Surge and Flutter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The EGR blanks are illegal (they effectively remove part of the emission control system) so there won't be a single place you can buy them from unless the shop advertises them as "for off-road use only".

I made mine by getting a thin (about 0.8mm) sheet of stainless steel. First, I removed the gasket that's on the end of the EGR pipe below the EGR valve on the right-hand side of the car, just under the corner of the big plastic cover - it's the goldy-coloured pipe that comes around from the exhaust from the left side.

I used that to mark the stainless steel, then cut the sheet gently with a hacksaw and then filed it to the correct outer size. Drilled the holes, filed them gently to the correct size too, installed it and no more EGR.

It would seem - from combining the observations in this thread - that the 2010 ST has an issue with its inlet pipe. I wonder if there's some way of removing it and inserting some solid piping to reinforce it?

Krunchi,

Mine sounds more like a bit of metal flapping over a bike wheel spoke. I have just been reading the thread on engine bay noises http://www.navara.asia/d40-general-chat/3662-engine-bay-noise.html , seems like alot of these thia built ST's are producing noises from the engine bay between 2000-3000rpm.

My noise tends to come on after i have changed gear from 2nd at about 3000rpm and then the noise comes on at about 2500-3000rpm. The same thing happens if I change from 3000rpm in third and noise then comes on at about 2500rpm in 4th.

I have just tried to record mine on my phone, but the speaker is not clear enough.

Which dealer, if you don't mind diclosing, did you take your Nav too?

Oh and Krunchi, where abouts in Brissy are you? I am in Brissy too and don't mind helping you to to the blank, if it will help your situation. It is a very easy job.

OldTony,

I will be able to sleep at night just fine, i dont consider it any where near as ethically wrong as the service nissan australia are giving me.
I have worked out why they dont fix this,
1- There is nothing broke to fix...Why
2- Because there is a fault in the design that might not be apperent in every ones truck but a issue with design none the less.

If the EGR blank fails to fix it next step is to get a piggy back computer that can custom tune load poins and boost at that load point to eliminate the sugre.

Failing that then im ready to get the compressor housing modded with anit surge slots.

Cam500, cheers for the offer, i sent you a pm!

OldTony
"It would seem - from combining the observations in this thread - that the 2010 ST has an issue with its inlet pipe. I wonder if there's some way of removing it and inserting some solid piping to reinforce it? "

I am near 99% certain the isue is not due to the soft piping.
Wont rule it ou though but very unlikley, i have experienced soft piping collapsing in a high boost petrol application and it is very different to turbo surge.

Thanks for the idea tho! thats what i am here for!

There have been a lot of thia built engines with faulty turbo control valves causing a intermittent noise which sounds like a loose shocker, your Nissan dealer should know about this, is a five minute job to replace under warranty

j2m5k6
Thanks for the reply, have you had a simliar thing done to yours?
Is it the electronic solinoid valve they replace or the metal actuator? or the actural Turbo itself?

Yeah I would like to know as well, as mine is at Nissan today & I would like to see what they find.

Ok reports states the following:

Found Briake Line clip loose. reattached and insulated all lines across firewall.

So what happend when I drove home - Noise still present!

Called Nissan this morning, and reported that noise still present and the Dealer stated that the had been having this problem with the ST's this month and Nissan have stated this is of normal orperation.

With out arching up too much and giving away too much info, I stated that I havd been trauling through Navara Forums and had found that NIssan Techs had agreed there may be a compressor surge. I didn't mention names delars etc. After this she was happy for me to come down to the service departments and to have a tech come for a drive with me to reporduce the sound.

I probably can't get back there for another week or so, therore i will insert the blank for the EGR and see what happens.

PS I have recored a really good copy of the noise, just don'y know how to post it.

CAM500 thanks for the update.
I have the datalog graph from the tech.
The airflow sensor records a very sharp up adn down fluctuation when the noise happens.
From what i can find out fro turbo experts compressor surge will only show on the aifflow sensor and will be exactly what my Log graph shows.
I really hope egr sorts it out, other fix is to some how limit the boost its making at those load points. I happy to accept the noise if nissan say so but the fact it makes the car shudder when it happens i should not have to put up with, mine started as just a noise and slowly got worse into a shudder in time with it so keep a close eye on yours.
Maybe if they get more than just my report the head office might acknowledge it and fix it.

Also i will warn you know that if you have any dealings with head offic eon the phoen they are in my experience hostile from the get go and have very standard uniformative responses.

Krunchi,

Thanks for the extra info and I will monitor whether or not if worsens. I will put the blank in & see what happens + still take it back to Nissan & have the tech log what is happening. If it does look like it is a compressor issue I will definatley not the it lightly.....I really don not want the hassle to be in a situation where I am touring and breakdown.

The Nissan Service department I have been dealing with have been great so far.

Krunchi have you had chance to check your intercooler & piping to see if any oil is strating to build up...i'm goin to check my oil levels and pipes this week en whilst i am refitting the blank.

Cheers

CAM500

Have not taken the cooler off to inspect as of yet, my service deptatment tell me there will be oil in it, i know its normal for some oil but too much i would not think is normal.
Let me know if the blank fixes it.

Im the same as you, i dont want to break down on a long trip, and i dont want to drive are car chuffing and surging along lol.

I have my fingers crossed ur service department acutally fix it with something simple like turbo actuator that way i can go in to the same dealer and get mine sorted.

Have had vehicle in today and they changed the variable control valve for the turbo, has fixed problem, is a little black valve that sits up the front right hand side of the engine bay.

j2m5k6
They cahnged that on mine too, well swapped one off a car in the yard.
Didnt seem to resolve it, maybe the one they swapped mine for was also a Tahi build ST with the same issue lol.

has anybody worked out hoe to post the sound clip of the noise yet? I am very interested as I to have a 2010 ST with a noise, but was told it was the clutch dampener. I took it back and took the mechanic for a drive and he said he has had a few with the noise and that he will fix it. Well it was fixed for a day or two and now it is back. Seems to be when the car is carrying a bit of a load and going up a hill etc. Before it was all the time before they fixed it.

Shaun

sorry the valve is on the left side not the right, the sound was mainly at idle and dissapeared with any revs, it was a really low resonance thump that varied in time from about 1 to three times per second, abit like a shot big end bearing. my dealer has replaced heaps of them (rex gorell geelong)

have the same nois in my 2010 se in israel one week only and 300km on the clock

f the EGR blank fails to fix it next step is to get a piggy back computer that can custom tune load poins and boost at that load point to eliminate the sugre.

Hi Krunchi ... try ours for 2 weeks to see if it fixes the problem and report back to us.

Let me know

0412 304030

Cheers
Robert

hi - if you could please email the recording of the noise to me at [email protected]

I would like to have a listen --

That would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi Robert,
Email sent :)

Also guys cant report back on the EGR plate yet, should have the right plate sorted this week.

Also random thinking here, if it is something to do with EGR or emmission that explains why i get such scripted hostile responses form nissan australia that are beyond common sense and no help. They do a good job of making me the customer think i am the one with the problem lol Luckily i managed to get lots of other people to hear the noise and prove im not going crazy :S lol

Last edited:
Back