Carbon Tax. Want it ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you for the Carbon tax ?

• Yes.

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • No.

Votes: 101 91.8%

• Total voters
Tappet said:
People just being put on (employed) will never make the news but people being layed off certainly will.

Tell that too the 250 people at the aluminum smelter in my home town that will be closing because of the carbon tax and the increase in price of electricity, and how many contractors and supply company's will be cutting back on-top of that because of the loss in business, right down too the take away shop that supplied lunch for the workers.

What excuses did companies use to close down before the carbon tax was on the radar?

Tell that too the 250 people at the aluminum smelter in my home town that will be closing because of the carbon tax and the increase in price of electricity, and how many contractors and supply company's will be cutting back on-top of that because of the loss in business, right down too the take away shop that supplied lunch for the workers.[/QUOTE

Yeah, your right it's not what they would want to hear but dosen't make what I said not true.
Look at history, the GST was going to be just about the end of life as we know it. It didn't happen. The capital gains tax was going to just about stop all investment in Australia, didn't happen. The entertainment tax was going to decimate the resturante buisness and that didn't happen either.
There will be huge structual changes to the economy that is what it's designed to do but like other changes, life will go on. Yes, some people will get hurt and others will flourish. Life on earth has been like this since time in memorium.
None of us like change but the good thing about humans is we can adapt but probably not to the extent of breathing carbon dioxide.

KraftyPg said:
What excuses did companies use to close down before the carbon tax was on the radar?

There not excuses, the company and the local member have been trying to talk with the state gov. too try and keep the plant open, but they just don't care. You know why??
BECAUSE OF MINING, which is good for me cause I work in a coal mine, but the country can't rely on one industry and something needs to be done about saving our manufacturing and construction industry.

(note that this is technically on topic)

Men should have to have their appendages assessed. Since the human body is 70% water and 18% (by mass) carbon, it stands to reason that the larger a man's schlong, the more carbon tax he'll have to pay.

It should also be done on a per-event basis. Blood also contains carbon, so more frequent activity (whether alone or with a partner of any persuasion or species) should attract a higher tax as well.

Those who have been clipped might claim a small credit for a reduction in mass but this is likely to be less than 0.02% of the overall mass of the male appendage.

If anyone can show 100% undeniable proof that the carbon tax is the real reason any business shuts down then fine but I'm betting no one can. The company heads know that the media will eat up bullshit terms like "The carbon tax made me do it" because it's better than saying "Greedy shareholders and CEO's want too much money".

Sure the fear that they pay a few bucks more might be a contributing factor but to say it's to blame is just bullshit. It's like saying that the mining industry is the reason for climate change...wheres the undeniable proof?

The stupid part is that greenies have been pushing their ideas about climate change and global warming for years and the detractors have always said they need proof. But now a few businesses get shitty because the government wants to tax them, the billion dollar babies make a few ads and say "don't stop our profits because our industry is the best thing in the country", the media sap is up likes flies around shit and the people agree with it. There is still no undeniable proof but that's ok because the media agrees.

Carbon tax a contributing factor to job losses maybe, but to blame bullshit!

Who's going to do the measuring Tony? Can't imagine too many blokes lining up and letting Tony or Julia measure them to assess the amount of tax payable.

Hmmm think I'll just pay top dollar, I know I'll be majorly ripped off if it's based on size but it's better than letting Bob loose with the measure tape.

Tappet, take a look at all the different taxes you just named, then ask yourself why? Did you know that NSW is the second highest taxed place in the WORLD!
What happen too all thous companies that use to supply revenue into the budget? So that people didn't have too pay so much tax?
There are much better ways too raise money then just keep on adding taxes, but our gov is too narrow minded and stupid to relies this.

KraftyPg said:
Carbon tax a contributing factor to job losses maybe, but to blame bullshit!

it's a factor, but the price of electricity is the main one, you know the second reason I wrote, or did you only see "carbon tax" then have a rant. There are two aluminum plants in the hunter and the two of them use 1/3 of the total states power. They have alway receive a subsidy on power like buying in bulk, but the gov is taking that away so with that plus the carbon tax it will be too expensive to produce aluminum here. All they want is the reduced price in power and they'll stay but the gov won't play ball.

Yeah and Alcoa in Vic are supposedly in the same situation, they wanted their cheap power to last and it didn't so they shut up shop blaming everything for governments who wont help to people who want more money to the carbon tax that is not even introduced. Never once did they blame the fact that the CEO's and shareholders are now taking more money than ever before, it barely even got mentioned that most of their profits for such a trueblue aussie company using the public's resources were going off shore all that got mentioned was how hard done by the company feels. Well boo fucking hoo, I don't get a subsidy on my power, I don't get a kiss on the dick by the government because I don't pollute as much as someone else, why the hell should anyone else get the same leg up. Any carbon tax thrown at big business is just going to be added to the bills the consumer pays anyway, despite the government proclaiming it wont, so their arguments that costs will rise and they wont be able to re-coup the costs is hardly valid, they will recoup their costs it's the general public who may not.

The fact is that we are lazy bastards who continually want pay rises or want to work less for the same money and if we don't get what we want we go on strike to get it in an attempt to take down the man. Those at the top continually want more but they can't strike like the plebs because no one would listen so when they have made all the cut backs they can their only choice is too sack workers to make more money so they do it, when they run out of workers they close down saying "oh the government taxed us out of business" because no one wants to hear the real reasons they shut down which could be summed up in one word GREED!

One tax can be blamed for a lot by those who have blinkers on but at the end of the day we as workers, we as consumers and we as the tax paying public are just as much to blame as any other factor, not just because we let it happen but because we MADE it happen.

So called GREEDY companies have just as much right too make a profit as we do and I don't care about how much money they make, I care about how much they pay local workers and there jobs and what we and the gov need too do to keep them jobs here in our country. If that means placing import duties on clothing company's that take their factories over seas then import the items back here then do it, if that means giving reduced power prices to factories then do it. If that means giving grants too people who are willing too start new companies in competition with imported goods then do it. It's time we start put the interest of our country and the people that live here ahead of others.

How many people buy Australian made anymore? I know it Harder cause its often dearer, but I always buy Australian made when I can.

Last edited:
^ agreed. In order to try and keep the few truly Australian companies that are left there needs to be tariffs or higher tariffs on foreign imports coming into the country. It is bloody hard to by Australian made anymore

Rumours are that gas prices will shortly be tied to oil prices due to the amount being used by China/India. Standby to see the shit hit the fan if this happens.

my 5 cents worth -
In my efforts to locate a set of steel side steps that do not weld to the frame... only two options have been found that are Australian in origin - scottybobcats & co, and ARB. (yet to hear back from Creative Offroad Fabs if they use Aussie tube stock).
All others I believe are imported - Opposite Lock, TJM, Ironman.

Now we are on only one wage - we cannot afford to buy only Australian made. If we did we would be going backwards at an alarming rate and be flat broke in not much time at all.
We did our best to buy only AU made when we were both working, but not an option now with a son(3) and a stay at home mum. Daycare and extra travel per day would not make working viable for the mrs, so we do what little we can to support AU made businesses.

Oh and the Carbon Tax is a crock'. What could hope to achieve is a piddle in an ocean.

Foreign ownership is a huge issue that the PC groups and .gov want to ignore. But you go an try to buy land in China, Thailand, Japan and many other countries as an Australian citizen... good luck with that. You can lease land, but not buy it. Meanwhile we are allowing foreign companies to buy our primary producing land and its water entitlements, then sign exclusive export deals for any produce from that land to ensure food supplies for the country of purchasing origin.

Then we have the waste of .gov monies (our tax dollars) within our own borders... ffs what hope do we have?

Last edited:
At the current world price of carbon currently trading at less than $10 per tonne in Europe, for the first 2 years the Australians will be paying a premium of 150% over the world price.

The scary thing will be in 2015 if the world market remains at or around current price and we go to an open market ETS then businesses who have any excess carbon credits will take a big hit on them suffering losses.

I heard a scientist from Australia being interviewed by Alan Jones regarding the carbon tax. He stated that the Govt based their tax on the findings of a the IPCC -Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Because it is a political organisation they have their own agenda. The problem is they are not a scientific organisation, and his question to AJ was why would they introduce a new tax based on the findings of a political organisation? Because it supports their tax.

IPCC predicted that water levels will rise 90cm over the next 100 years based on computer modelling from major cities, ports etc around the world. Now because the IPCC want everyone to fear carbon the result's from the computer simulation were exaggerated. The scientist who spoke to AJ said Australia has one of the best long term studies of sea levels ect exceeding 100 years in the harbour. He stated that over the last 100 years the water level had risen 10cm which is an average of 1mm a year, yet over the last few years he has found that the water level has been slow to rise.
He was dumbfounded as to why the Govt would accept the IPCC over its own scientists (because they wanted the tax) The problem with the computer modelling is that it isn't specific to Australia. The example he gave was if the GOVT was going to build a bridge in the harbour, we would conduct our own studies on traffic flow, volume, predicted increases etc Not build a bridge based on a computer simulation of San francisco, or London.

Last thing, Bob (ben dover) Brown said that just one of the coal mines in QLD that exports to china will completely offset any benefit that the carbon tax will have because china will burn it etc.

We need an election.

Latest posts

Back