Comments regarding chip it, chips

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey merchant
The gauge kicked in and down the temps went. If I hadn't of had the gauge I would never of known and probable just kept going.
I have to go up that hill again in two weeks and I'll have my camper trailer on this time....
My 2c worth

Mal

Hey Mal, what do you mean, "the gauge kicked in?"

Sorry I think I worded it wrong.
The EGT controller gets set to about 700-750 degrees so when the exhaust gases get to that temp it turns the chip off, there for there is less fuel is going in and the exhaust temp will drop slowly but you can still do the same speed and drive the same way. It's like not having the chip at all (stock). Rob would be the best to talk to about how it works.

I also have the delete pipe and the blank plate put in.
See this thread, it may help?? http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=5905

Again sorry I don't know how to add a link properly..
Boss Hog has help me a fair bit on this subject.

If only the wives could understand, We need these things!!
Mal

Oh it looks like the link worked..

Where is the best place to have the EGT probe mounted? Justin (or the boys) mounted mine before the turbo (stock exhaust)

besides it being cooler post turbo, does it really make a difference ?

Happy with my chip it, and so much so that the clarkson shop is doing other work to my R51 (ironman gear).

A good attitude means more business. So they are doing well by me

It does make some difference, because the temperature drop across the turbo isn't always the same. Knowing how much heat is HITTING the turbine is more important, because that's how much heat is being generated by the motor, and is directly related to how much heat the turbocharger is being punished with.

Correct. Even more so on a VNT turbo such as on a D40, where the variable nozzle turbine has quite an influence on post-turbo temps.

excellent. Thats good then

what kind of temp is considered max

sorry ive taken this offtopic

Sorry I think I worded it wrong.
The EGT controller gets set to about 700-750 degrees so when the exhaust gases get to that temp it turns the chip off, there for there is less fuel is going in and the exhaust temp will drop slowly but you can still do the same speed and drive the same way. It's like not having the chip at all (stock). Rob would be the best to talk to about how it works.

Oh it looks like the link worked..

Ok I get it,
So if your say, towing up a hill and the EGT controller reads high and drops your tune back to STD you carry on, just with less power. When the switch-over is made is there a smooth transfer, or any momentary stall at all?

Ok I get it,
So if your say, towing up a hill and the EGT controller reads high and drops your tune back to STD you carry on, just with less power. When the switch-over is made is there a smooth transfer, or any momentary stall at all?

It feels like someones pulled on the handbrake when the standard tune kicks in. But it is seamless and smooth.

Try to stay below 700C

Standard on the D40 is 720 with probe after the turbo (in the dump pipe).

Good luck trying to keep it under 700 Deg C.

But remember, Nissan knows it is at that temp from factory and have no doubt compensated already (ie stronger valves stems etc)

Highest EGT reading

Standard pre-turbo and without tune mine reached 761 degrees on W.O.T up a steep hill. Did two runs to get this so have set mine at 765.

Standard on the D40 is 720 with probe after the turbo (in the dump pipe).

Good luck trying to keep it under 700 Deg C.

But remember, Nissan knows it is at that temp from factory and have no doubt compensated already (ie stronger valves stems etc)

Its easy to keep it under 700.

Get a decent intercooler on there and you will see minimum 30deg intake and exhaust temp drop.

D40's that have been boosted higher than standard see temp drops upwards of 50deg with the cooler upgrade.

But, you do realise the temps are so high because of the post combustion injection timing?

... the post combustion injection timing?

Now that is something that would be nice to get rid of. Understandably, the DPF would have to be gone as well.

What would be used as a reductant in the CAT once there is no more post-combustion injection - or is there still some post-combustion injection done to feed the CAT?

Its only done to keep egt high for turbine drive.

More is added onto the normal amount for a dpf burn off.
The cat makes little difference overall. Apart from turning normally white smoke into black smoke due to the temp increase through its honeycomb.

You would notice a big hit in driveability if you took it out to be honest.

Its only done to keep egt high for turbine drive.

More is added onto the normal amount for a dpf burn off.
The cat makes little difference overall. Apart from turning normally white smoke into black smoke due to the temp increase through its honeycomb.

You would notice a big hit in driveability if you took it out to be honest.

Don't you face the issue of WHITE smoke when you remove the original (cat/dump pipe)?
A few have. How do you cure that problem?

Hi all,

Received my Chip-It chip yesterday and installed today without an issue. I took the car for a spin a noticed a slight reduction in lag and increase in pick up but nothing to make me jump up and down and shout for joy. Anyway, got the laptop out to change to a higher tune to see if there is any change to performance.

I installed the drivers, connected it to the chip as per the manual and nothing. I can't get the chip to connect to the laptop. I have tried everything; changing ports, uninstalling, re-installing, changing USB ports etc etc. I have checked to ensure the drivers are installed correctly through device manager and everything seems fine.

I am using Windows 7 and am following the manual. Once the cables are connected i open the program, select the com port and click connect. Something changes in a window to say 'Polling" but that's where it ends.

I have tried connecting with and without the car running (the new chips work on internal power supply and no longer require an external 12volt source.

Any help will be appreciated.

I've never used the software, but try making sure you're not connected to any network (turn off WiFi) then disable your firewall and try again. Might have to kick the antivirus in the ass for the time being too. Once you discover which one it is, make an exception for the program in the firewall/antivirus' settings.

Other than that, I can't think of a reason.

Back