D22 3.0 Starting Problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDTD

Reaction score
Hi, i'm a newbie want to share and asking for help for my friend's D22 Navara 3.0..
I just got a bad engine conditions of navara from my friend, he said we can do anything to his engine as long as it can be better.

The first it came to me the idle terrible, and if i press down the gas pedal (a little) the engine rpm goes up (like over running)

And i said to my friend lets try to open the injector first.
the pressure are 170bar, 190bar, 200bar, 165bar,
So we serviced the injectors, make the pressure to 190bar (for all 4 injectors)

But after we re-installed the injectors, plug everything in, start the engine, engine cranked but the engine wont start.
Changed the battery - ok
Checked the fuses - ok

And at last we installed 1 injector outside the engine, the other no injector plugged. The fuel ok, coming out from the injector pipes, but for the one we installed the injector there's no fuel coming out from that injector.

Sorry for the long story...
Anyone can help us with this problems?
Very appreciate any kind of your comment & help

Thank you and best regards,

Maybe air line the pump.

The pump might need testing as it needs to open the injector with pressure.

I agree with Dave, seal the fuel lines up so that enough pressure can reach the injector. Bleed all the air from the fuel system - make sure that primer bulb can hardly be squeezed. Keep pressing it until it's nice and firm.

Also check the electrical connectors to the injectors. The wiring needs to be undamaged, the contacts clean. When the ECU opens an injector you should be able to hear it. The sound of diesel injectors opening is unmistakable!

Fixing this might not fix everything but you need to get the injectors working and fuel delivered properly.

You might want to check is the crank angle sensor, make sure it's not damaged/broken.

Thank you Dave and old.Tony...
We already bleed the air from the Injection Pump, and at last we tried to put the injector outside the engine (and also confirmed there's no air inside the fuel line into the injector)
Even we already lowered the inejctor pressured to 100bar (there's no fuel came out from that injector)

Sorry i forgot to mention the engine is Z30.
And there's no electrical connection to the Injectors.

The problem makes us confused is, before we remove the injectors, this car still can be started (even the idle very terrible), but why after we installed the injectors again, it seem the Fuel pressure from Injection pump is very low, can not open the injectors..

Btw, where the "Crank Angle Sensor" Located in our Navara? D22 3.0 engne Z30?

However still very appreciate your comments...
Regards,

The engine is the ZD30DDT.

The crank angle sensor is located behind the harmonic balancer.

My mistake...
The correct one is the one Dave stated: ZD30DDT (thanks again Dave)
Will check the "Crank Angle Sensor" immidiately..

Another thing, i cant find any OBD plug, is this D22 Navara ZD30DDT have an OBD plug inside the cabin? And is it 16pins?

Should be on the right side under the dash.

There is a D22 Service manual you can download in the D22 section.

Good luck.

Near as I can tell the injectors do have an electrical connection, according to the manual. Should be a single wire going to each, same colour wire each with a different coloured stripe.

@Dave: I'm still trying to download the file.. it seems the link isnt there anymore... Still keep trying...
Thanks

@Old.Tony: I attached the picture of the injector from the car (may be i have the different type of Navara D22 ZD30DDT?)

Thanks

zd30 doesn't have wiring to any injector. only common rail YD25 does.

for the not starting problem, check what you took off to get at the injectors. especially the earths on the inlet manifold and the couple of plugs by them (temp sensor i think).

also i would be really keen to see how you serviced the injectors.
afaik they are not repairable.
how did you set the two injection stages?

@Dave: I found the thread (Hadricus'), but unfortunatelly i cant open the link stated there.. But i'm still trying to open the file...

@Old.Tony: I took a picture of one of the injector from our car and attached it here, but it seems i cant attached any picture in here

@moderator: Sorry if i havent know this forum rules.. :)

@tweak'e: thanks for your input, i already reconnect all the plugs, even some of the bolts not tightened yet.
For Injector, i only set 1 stage (first pressure) 190Bar...
Coz in our experience (on toyota LC 1HDT engine), first stage pressure is for idle (CMIIW)

Will try once again and will be update the situation..

Thanks,

the dual stage is for noise and emissions. it won't effect if the engine runs or not.
as the dual stage runs all the time its works at every rpm, not just idle. however as the pilot injection is fixed, unlike common rail, it will work best at a certain rpm range.

i would be inclined to bolt up an old low pressure injector and see if the pump fires that. even if the pump is worn it will make more than enough pressure to fire it.
if it doesn't fire you know its pump/ecu problem.

Today i re-install everything, all the injectors back to its places and all the plug already plug in... already bleed the air from the injector pipes...
But still it wont start, it wont fire.
One part haven't checked is Crank Sensor, and i noticed the cable to the Crank Sensor not in a good shape, i assume it because of the fan...
But, is it possible if my crank sensor error, the fuel still coming out from the Injection Pump but there's no pressure, thus it can't open the injectors?

And is there any ZD30DDT with 14 pins OBD?
Coz i can't find any other plug below my steering beside that 14pins plug...

@tweak'e: i hope it's not the pump / ecu problem (it'll cost me a high amount of money right).. And before i removed the injectors the car still can be started...

Thanks,

i would still try to eliminate that if its the injectors or not. possibly put them back together incorrectly ???

otherwise more than likely its just a case of something is either connected wrong or being bumped when you removed injectors.
even some of the simple things like charge up the battery. a poor battery or poor connection can drop voltage low enough that the ecu won't fire the pump even tho motor turns over.

@Dave: Thanks for the link again, i already download the files (from my other computer) and it's work...

Update the status:
Today i scanned the engine using Bosch Scan Tools, but there's no DTC found.. Try to unplug the Water Temp Sensor (just to make sure the scanner can read the DTC) , and the DTC showed Water Temp sensor was unplugged..
I checked the battery, jumper with another car's battery with no result..

Asked my friends and he said may be the Spill Valve inside the injection pump jammed, thus there's the engine can't start, but the DTC code didnt appear.

Have anyone experience this case?

To Moderator: Should i Move my thread to "D22 Engine"?
Coz i found another thread with almost the same Thread's name but the case no tthe same..

Thanks a lot to all of you...

don't forget there are some sensors that are not DTC. if i remember right they are listed in the manual.

Thanks Dave and tweak'e...

Update on our ZD30DDT...
Remove the Injection Pump (thanks to this forum for the manual book)

Check the Resistance of the Pump ECU -> OK
Check the Spill Valve inside the Solenoid Control Unit (in the middle of Distributor Head) not jammed but also not moving freely...
Found out the cable from the pump ECU to Timing Solenoid (bottom of the Pump) there's no insulating, thus can cause electric short..
Unfortunately there's no workshop can repair and test this type of pump in here..
Tomorrow will ask my friend who work for Bosch, ask for his opinion..

If there's no other way then we're planning to re-install the pump again tomorrow (after insulated the cable)
will update again later, just in case there's the same case as we have in here...

Latest posts

Back