D40 Exhaust Confusion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommo77

Reaction score
In your opinion what is the best exhaust system for a D40 manual turbo diesel including how big and whats included in the zorst. Need some more info before splurging out and buying one.

So far i have got quotes for a 3 inch Taipan system (is this too big?)

A custom made 2.5 inch system from a local mechanic (the stock exhaust is also 2.5 what am i actually going to be changing if i choose this one, less restrictive, etc?).

Cheers

I recently installed a 3" mandrel bent system with free flow cat and dump pipe and it's been great.

Only has the one rear muffler and response has certainly picked up, only mildly louder than standard.

Hey Tommo recently went through all that BS, spoke to beaudesert, Taipan and Roo Sytems. I went with the Roo 3" mandrel bent stainless system, reason to go with 3" is to lower exhaust temps Quiker ie bigger diameter = more flow therefore lowers EGT's. Main reason for this is learnt frrom Taipan they put ute on dyno n get stock EGT's, install 3" wich lowers EGT and then add the chip and increase fuel until EGT comes back up to standard temps. Doin all this keeps everyhting at safe level, hope this can help a bit. My exhaust just has one muffler thats it and i got DP chip to.

Had a Beaudesert sytem installed......cannot fault it....few more herbs...almost elimated the "hole" when taking off in first gear.....gettin extra 70 to 90ks a tank too:rock:

Hey Tommo recently went through all that BS, spoke to beaudesert, Taipan and Roo Sytems. I went with the Roo 3" mandrel bent stainless system, reason to go with 3" is to lower exhaust temps Quiker ie bigger diameter = more flow therefore lowers EGT's. Main reason for this is learnt frrom Taipan they put ute on dyno n get stock EGT's, install 3" wich lowers EGT and then add the chip and increase fuel until EGT comes back up to standard temps. Doin all this keeps everyhting at safe level, hope this can help a bit. My exhaust just has one muffler thats it and i got DP chip to.

As ST-X DEON said. 3" to keep the EGT's down. Local mechanics can usually only bend 2.5 or 2.75 tubing so thats why they push the smaller size.

I have got a 3 inch with no muffler, just a resonator. It's not loud. My only advice would be go somewhere that can actually mandrell bend the tube and not weld in bends. Mine was done by AMMS and it's a dogs breakfast

I have got a 3 inch with no muffler, just a resonator. It's not loud. My only advice would be go somewhere that can actually mandrell bend the tube and not weld in bends. Mine was done by AMMS and it's a dogs breakfast

So your exhaust from AMMS is not mandrell bent?
I was thinking of talking to them for some mods, are you happy with them?

So your exhaust from AMMS is not mandrell bent?
I was thinking of talking to them for some mods, are you happy with them?

Nope I am not mate.

They told me it was going to be a 'kit' exhaust installed by them, then sent it over to Jack Beedhams exhaust at redcliffe and they put the system on. used straight lengths of tube and mandrel elbows, welded them all together and then painted it with a black spray can. One trip up the beach and the whole system was covered in surface rust. I took it back to them saying the original exhaust had been on the beach several times and hadnt rusted, all they could say is I should have got a stainless one if i didnt want it to rust. Then didnt believe me that it had only had one trip up the beach :rant: It works fine but looks like crap.

Lots of people have been happy with their service so don't just go off what I say, but I won't go back there.

Hey Matt76 how long ago did you get that exhaust from them coz thats who I went through for my stainless system which I fitted myself and its prety shmick.... nice mandrel bends. But thay run under two names which is Roo systems as well same company and premises but they have the dyno n do chip n exhaust.

I had a full exhaust system, extractors, high flow cats on a SS Commodore VY series 2 done by them about five years ago. What a mess. They used the wrong extractors, not the correct ones for the VY 2, cut the Oxygen sensor wires because they wern't long enough (wrong extractors) and soldered a length of copper wire in the middle to make them fit. The system bumped on the body and underneath, droned through the cab so loud you couldn't hear yourself think. 23 LPHK fuel economy because of the O2 wires. No power, black smoke and it wouldn't pull a sailor off your sister. The car was 7 days old and when I went back to holden to complain about the performance, they saw the exhaust they told me to go away because they would not be responsible for any damage caused to the engine by he exhaust system. I would never recommend them to anyone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back