D40 money sucking piece of shit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
true and exedy said that clutches are smaller these days so the clutch fibre material has changed to perfrm better but wear quicker when slipping and over heating.

i am now looking at gettin a 4.2 dx patrol ute but will have to go for a older model as opposed to a 3lt common rail

Nissan aren't the only ones running DMFs - and Nissan won't be the only ones ditching the DMFs as an unfortunate experiment.

The goal was to make a smoother, more car-like ride. They did the same shit with the suspension and crippled the car - again, Nissan aren't alone.

Nathan's point about fleet buyers getting autos is a good one. They should - for more reasons than just the flywheel issues.

i've mentioned in a different thread that our fleet at work are switching from toyotas to ford rangers soon, we've had a lot of clutch issues with the hilux's but none with the landcruisers..
i did hear a rumour around work that all these rangers will be autos but haven't had it confirmed by the fleet manager yet, i'll ask him tomorrow if i see him.

people bag D40's all the time for having bad clutches, there is nothing wrong with the clutches in them. we have a full fleet of brand new hilux's that do the exact same thing. the dual mass flywheel is fitted for driver comfort. and takes a load off the rest of the drive train. and belive it or not there quieter. but go buy a new hilux, a new patrol, an you will have the exact same problem!!!

I have to agree, my 2008 navara has been towed 3 times, and now is having diff rebuilt at 87,000 k's, great looking and comfortable piece of junk.

It has in 4 years had :
Clutch replaced under warranty
tail shaft leak at both ends - warranty
tail shaft let go and 50,000 k's - diff end uni chewed out
wiring flooded and car short circuited
over 7 alarms - warranty
2 x sunroofs - warranty
power window and steering silver parts replaced 3 x times - warranty
tailgate realligned twice
erradic idle never fixed by nissan - took a chip & tune
dashrattles and seat belts dont retract
Rust to roof rails and inside tub
steel not stainless screws fitted also rusting

Now at 87,000 needs timing chain and diff rebuilt. We have 6 cars in our fleet - Hilux's dont miss a beat, and my navara is constantly in for repairs ! With the lowest k's !

Nothing short of a total piece of junk, as I have spent so much cash decking it out cant afford to replace it.

Next year getting a cruiser new, so wont be trusting my kids in my navara in the bush ! With the amount of chewed up metal in my diff what if it locked up !!

Bloody disgrace and danger to its customers ! Anyone want to see how nice my ute looks and drives, feel free - but PLEASE dont stick up for them and say they are anything short of JUNK !

Last edited:
I have to agree, my 2008 navara has been towed 3 times, and now is having diff rebuilt at 87,000 k's, great looking and comfortable piece of junk.

It has in 4 years had :
over 7 alarms - warranty
2 x sunroofs - warranty

Now at 87,000 needs timing chain and diff rebuilt. We have 6 cars in our fleet - Hilux's dont miss a beat, and my navara is constantly in for repairs ! With the lowest k's !

Nothing short of a total piece of junk, as I have spent so much cash decking it out cant afford to replace it.

Next year getting a cruiser new, so wont be trusting my kids in my navara in the bush ! With the amount of chewed up metal in my diff what if it locked up !!

Bloody disgrace and danger to its customers ! Anyone want to see how nice my ute looks and drives, feel free - but PLEASE dont stick up for them and say they are anything short of JUNK !

Mate its a real shame to hear about all your drama, BUT i will say my last three navs have been FARKEN AWESOME and the new one is a great ute and all of them shit all over all of my relos and mate that have Hiluxs.
If you think you are not going to have trouble with the 200 cruiser think again..... go have a read of there forums and you will find a heap of owners like a good mate of mine from "OUTBACK SIGNS" winging about how they break left CV'S and the tail shafts go out of balance and vibrate the fark out of the car along with a long list of other probs and how TOYOTA dont give a rats arse about how much money you have spent, they just wont cover any of it under warranty unless lawyers are involved.

It has in 4 years had :
over 7 alarms - warranty
2 x sunroofs - warranty

Tailshafts dont have fluid in them:thefinger:. The slip joint is greaseable.

Yeah Nissan fill them full of "buoyancy juice" to help with buoyancy when crossing rivers, it's a little known fact so don't be embarrassed you didn't know about it dave.

It has in 4 years had :
over 7 alarms - warranty
2 x sunroofs - warranty

Should trade it on a D22.

Yeah that's true, while he already feels like he's been kicked in the guts he's hardly going to notice being kicked in the nuts as well.

Well I've gotta say, if you want a TD manual to tow your boat with (as much as I love my new Navara) I'd go Ford Ranger any day of the week. My old man has a 2011, before the new models came in and that is a fantastic car on and off road andd will tow anything. Done 50,000 K's without a single problem, tows a 1000 kilo camper near on every weekend with bikes on the back. And I know that the new Rangers have even more power and apparently (or so I've been told) they tow better.

So you want my advice, go buy a Ranger.

Well I've gotta say, if you want a TD manual to tow your boat with (as much as I love my new Navara) I'd go Ford Ranger any day of the week. My old man has a 2011, before the new models came in and that is a fantastic car on and off road andd will tow anything. Done 50,000 K's without a single problem, tows a 1000 kilo camper near on every weekend with bikes on the back. And I know that the new Rangers have even more power and apparently (or so I've been told) they tow better.

So you want my advice, go buy a Ranger.

Thats the thing, while your old mans ranger hes been good to him and thats great. Theres plenty of blokes on here whose navs have been great too. Nathans on his third Nav, rli has had a couple and theres a few more i think. Luck of the draw or maybe the way the owner treats it

My old man brought a new Pathie last year and had so many issues it wasnt funny. Believe it or not but Nissan ended up swapping it for another new one.
This was in Christchurch NZ.

I guess the moral of the story is that there are lemons out there. His new one has been fine.

Herein lies the problem, people just don't look after cars then get up in arms when shit breaks.

That's definitely a problem but a big problem for those researching faults etc is that such people rarely admit they don't look after their stuff, most can't even admit they over revved it just once when they are busy trying to blame the manufacture for every fault.

That's definitely a problem but a big problem for those researching faults etc is that such people rarely admit they don't look after their stuff, most can't even admit they over revved it just once when they are busy trying to blame the manufacture for every fault.

Seeing as you have not one ounce of knowledge of my vehicles service history or my respect for it shows how uninformed and biased you opinion is.

I didnt spend to date $70k on a vehicle to treat it like crap or not service at regualr internals !

To make such blanket uniformed decisions shows the complete inability for any comment you make to be credible.

These vehicles are JUNK JUNK JUNK - and if I hadnt stuck so much cash in modifications I would not be keeping it. Npw its in for timing chain, major service. diff locker, AND RUST REPAIRS.

Who maybe my neglect and waxing it only every couple months made it rust in the gutter rails or the chassis rails - geez i should treat it with more respect next time !!!

I rekon there all pretty good, well at least compared to what they use to be in this class. Most makes are very good to brilliant in some areas but not so hot in others. Toyota being a bit of an exception, just good in all areas but nothing stands out- boring!
What does piss me off is the money we pay this class of vehicle in this country.

Last edited:
Sorry for the rant but cant stand people who cant see crap or admit it when it is a black and white fact.

The comment of the D22 was correct ! I had my 2004 D22 petrol - 140k's and NOT ONE issue ! Should have kept it and no upgraded to a D40 and Disaster ! And i was Nissan before this - owning a 10 sec 200sx, my D40, and a GQ at the same time.

Let me tell you Nissan aint ever making into my garage again !

Latest posts

Back