Defence force members!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys, but the defence department has needed to be taken to the cleaners for decades. This has SFA to do with serving men and women, but the arse holes at the top.

Defence procurement has been the greatest ineptitude for decades, one screw up after another.

Photo of my patrol and I in afghan

Attachments

• CP Samad 4.jpg
    CP Samad 4.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 102
Listen in!

G'evening Lounge Lizards!

Wishing all Services a Merry Christmas and a Safe and Prosperous New Year. Especially all the troops serving overseas this Christmas!

Regards,

RLI and family
:rambo:

Last edited:
"Assistance needed"

G'day Lounge lizards!

I have cut & pasted this from Russ81 thread titled "Assistance needed" I thought this was relevant to this thread!

PS, if you can, can you please help with this great cause! Read the following below!

Regards,

RLI

"Assistance needed!

With less than a week to go, I thought it a fitting time to remind everyone about the event on Australia Day.

We are raising money and awareness for the families of Australian soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

Registration ($10 per person over 16) opens at 7am near movies by burswood, Charles Paterson Park. At 7.45 we will head off around the river collecting donations and conclude with a BBQ at GO Edwards park.

Currently we have raised over $500 and have between 50-100 people participating on the day, please come down and get involved or help out by donating at http://www.everydayhero.com.au/stomp_perth

Hope to see you there

Russ"

G'day folks,

I found this article in the Sydney Morning Herald.

Free speech appeal fails over critical letters to Diggers

A SELF-STYLED Muslim imam accused of sending offensive letters to the families of dead Diggers has had his appeal against the charge dismissed.

Man Haron Monis, also known as Sheikh Haron, and his co-appellant, Amirah Droudis, are accused of sending letters to the widows and family members of several soldiers, referring to the dead men in what one judge described as ''a denigrating and derogatory fashion''.

Their pre-trial application was for the dismissal of the charge that it was a crime to use a postal or similar service in a way that reasonable people would regard as offensive.

The men's lawyers had argued that the material was ''purely political'' in nature, and were protected as political speech.

The High Court decision, published on Wednesday morning, said the co-accused had allegedly sent letters (and in one case a recorded message) to the relatives of Australian soldiers killed in action in Afghanistan and to the mother of an Austrade official killed in Indonesia.

''The communications criticised Australia's military involvement in Afghanistan. They opened with expressions of sympathy for the grieving relatives but then proceeded to criticise and condemn the deceased person,'' the decision read.

The High Court was divided 50-50 on whether the constitution prohibits the postal service being used to deliver ''seriously offensive material''.

Under the Judiciary Act, when the High Court is equally divided, the decision that is being appealed is upheld.

The High Court was told in October the letters, which were also sent to various politicians including the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader, contained ''expressions of sympathy'' for the soldiers' families.

But they also included passages such as: ''The Australian government represents the Australian nation. The Australian nation has approved the oppressive behaviour of its own government. How? By its silence. Insane people and children are exceptions.''

The High Court Judge Dyson Heydon questioned whether passages expressing sympathy could add to the offensiveness of the letters.

''You cannot offer condolences for the loss of someone's son and speak of the dirty body of a pig or say that Hitler was not inferior to them in moral merit,'' he said.

The barrister David Bennett, who appeared for Mr Droudis, told the court in October the letters were ''purely political'' and should therefore be protected as free speech.

''It is putting an extreme view,'' Mr Bennett said. ''It is putting what is no doubt very much a minority view, but it is purely political and it requires considerable imagination to see how that can be regarded as offensive in any way. That, of course, does not matter. If it is offensive it is offensive because the views are offensive, which is exactly what the freedom is designed to protect.''

The Chief Justice, Robert French, in October suggested the letters could be offensive because of their context and the fact they were addressed to military families. But Mr Bennett said wounding a person's feelings should not invoke a criminal offence.

Folks, i did not join the Army and serve my country with pride and honor to have this type of farken scum-bag be allowed to live in this great country of ours! The act that this sheet wearing, goat stroking fagot has committed is absolutely disgraceful, disrespectful and total un-Australian. Send the farker by to the shit-hole country of origin that he came from.

PS, and send the bill to the farken dick-brain politician and bureaucrats responsible for allowing this tow-rag scrote into our great country in the first place.

Regards,

RLI

From my days with 8th/13th "Victoria Mounted Rifles". Car's lined up on the side of a back road just north of Puck'a in the early 90's. 2nd Photo of me (the short one) and a Mate Wyane. Both of us were drivers at the time, I am around 6ft tall, Wyane . . . no idea how he use to drive close down

Attachments

• 8th 13th Recon.jpg
    8th 13th Recon.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 54
  • Grant & Wayne.jpg
    Grant & Wayne.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
my time is almost up 3 months left, Navy stoker, FFGs, cya effing later ADF, (the people at the top are ruining it) most juniors i served with were great, hierarchy is 100 years outa date,

heading back into the brotherhood of the mighty M.U.A, should never have left.....

At least 15 ex-servicemen have committed suicide since Christmas in the terrible hidden toll of war

Ruth Lamperd, Patrick Carlyon
Sunday Herald Sun
March 16, 2013

A GOLD Card for a troubled soldier to cover the cost of his medical expenses for life was issued the day after he committed suicide last year. The Digger had returned from a deployment where he suffered post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) as well as physical injuries. His widow declined a request for an interview with the Herald Sun, and asked that the Digger's name not be published. But it has been claimed his ongoing battle with the Department of Veterans' Affairs to be upgraded from a White Card - which offers only a limited form of medical cover - compounded his PTSD.

The revelation emerged as a Herald Sun investigation found the veterans community in Brisbane is reeling from 11 suicides since Christmas, including former soldiers returned from Somalia, Rwanda, Timor, Iraq and Afghanistan. They take them away, they break them, then they give them back to us.

Two ex-servicemen from Victoria, one from Sydney and one from Western Australia are also known to have taken their lives since the start of the year. Veterans' advocates say the tragic tally is a fraction of a hidden blight unrecorded by authorities and highlights serious inadequacies in the DVA's bureaucratic claims process, which often stretches veterans' battles for compensation out to two years.

The DVA keeps no figures on suicides of past servicemen and women. It told the Herald Sun that it "aims to deal with all claims as efficiently as possible to ensure minimal impact on the individual".
Do we do enough to look after our war veterans? Vote now and have your say

But another widow who lost her ex-Digger husband to suicide said resources to support ex-soldiers were insufficient. Once soldiers such as her husband left the defence force, they became lost souls, she said. "They take them away, they break them, then they give them back to us," the widow said.

The Herald Sun is aware of one compensation case, still unresolved after six years, of a veteran paratrooper of 24 years with PTSD; in another case it took four years to reach resolution in the favour of an ex-soldier. The concerning state of veterans' post-war battles comes as it also can be revealed: DOCTORS who treat ex-soldiers for mental illness report only 10 per cent of their patients have a smooth experience through the DVA compensation process.

VETERAN support groups are bolstering advocate numbers to handle what they believe will be a deluge of claims for compensation, as veterans of recent conflicts such as Afghanistan and Iraq start to emerge with chronic mental illnesses. BETWEEN 10-20 per cent of claims for PTSD are turned down initially, but advocates claim 95 per cent of those are approved after appeal to the Veterans Review Board, tribunals and courts.

A VICTORIAN soldier monitoring real-time video from drones on a high-definition screen at a control room in Afghanistan saw two of his mates killed in action, but the DVA refused PTSD status on a technicality - a decision later overturned on appeal. Australian Peacekeeper and Peacemaker Veterans Association advocate Michael Quinn said veterans' psychological illnesses often worsened when they were rejected for valid claims. "On the other side, with a pension or a Gold Card, they often become extremely reclusive and the downhill run is pretty much already started because of what the DVA have put them through," Mr Quinn said. He said the number of cases going to the Veterans Review Board had increased due to budget cutbacks and hasty decisions at the first point of call in the DVA. "Soldiers who come from a high-discipline, high-performing job like service in conflict find it hard to line up with people at Centrelink for money. It's demoralising for them."

Queensland psychiatrist Dr Andrew Khoo treats veterans almost daily. He said the process for making a PTSD claim could be a bureaucratic maze that had become more complicated in the past decade. "Rather than the onus being on DVA to find out if people are not telling the truth, it seems that like the onus is on the guys to prove that they are not lying," Dr Khoo said. "This is the opposite to how it should be."

Brisbane-based military compensation lawyer Brian Briggs, of Slater & Gordon, represents dozens of Diggers with disputed PTSD claims. "The DVA is under-resourced and I'm seeing a blowout in the time for claims to be accepted," Mr Briggs said. Delays had a direct bearing on the treatment options and mental wellbeing of clients left in limbo. Another psychiatrist, who asked not to be named, said servicemen and women caught in limbo waiting to be discharged from the military could turn to drugs and alcohol to fill a void that often ran to a year or more. "The military has not provided a system to know what to do with them in that time," he says.

This view is supported by Angela Smith, widow of Darren Smith, who was killed in an IED blast in June 2010. A friend of many troubled Afghanistan veterans, she said the military had a "responsibility to tackle PTSD head on" - in individual cases - "instead of letting it come to them when it gets to breaking point". The issue isn't going to go away. Dr Khoo said almost 70,000 troops had been deployed since Timor. "I wonder if DVA is going to be prepared for what's coming," he said.

The Australian Defence Force pointed to its suicide prevention and mental health screening programs designed to help curb suicide rates of its forces.

Regards

RLI

Latest posts

Back