Diff Lockers air vs electric

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Front E Locker for R180 D22 Front diff is 1900 fitted. I have priced it and will be purchasing one in the near future. I carry my compressor with me when I know I'm gonna air down and its never got in the way. Yes I will be permaneny mounting it sometime in the future.

Rusty just for a giggle today I rang a few places for prices.

Started on my IFS Landcruiser..
elocker from Harrop front or rear..$1599 plus $20 freight anywhere in Australia

same prices for my d22..but only front

TJM prolocker, plus compressor fitted $2761 for the front

Both front and rear fitted $4110

Rang 4wdsystems in south aussie LOKKA
100 IFS front..was $1098 needs mods to transfer case as this is a full time 4wd
rear diff $549

Installation front $650 +GST, rear 350 to 400 plus GST

Id be going the E-locker.

From memory, the H1 Hummer's run E-lockers in the military spec's.

When I was looking at prices, the Harrop locker was about $500 more than the arb locker. That's alot of money. I went for the arb locker as I needed a compressor as well. I got the locker when arb had a sale on and the compressor was a freebie so I ended up about $700 better off than the Harrop locker option.

And, that CKM12 compressor is pretty darn good.

Depends on how you drive. If you're a lead-foot on the loose stuff, put it up front. A lifted wheel will spin like mad, and when it comes back down and grips, the energy of rotation will be passed inwards - and the only thing to take the strain will be the diff, CVs and axles. We've had users that broke these - one guy broke his diff on one trip, and the axle on the next trip.

elocker over air locker in my opinion. less thing to go wrong. much simple design. ive seen air comp fail. solenoid fail. air leak in the line. but i havent seen any e locker fail
. (harrop elocker im referring to.) did alot of research and i could find anyone whinning about elocker. anyway thats my 2cent.

elocker over air locker in my opinion. less thing to go wrong. much simple design. ive seen air comp fail. solenoid fail. air leak in the line. but i havent seen any e locker fail
. (harrop elocker im referring to.) did alot of research and i could find anyone whinning about elocker. anyway thats my 2cent.

before you buy a locker, give your traction control a chance, i recently had another member show me a video of it in action and i was very surprised as i was told by my dealership that it was only on the rear diff.
Anyway after watching the video and changing my driving style i simply cannot believe how well it works, i was up at Lithgow going places my D22 and old 2010 ST would just never of got to.
I learned that when you get cross locked not to back off the gas straight away and keep at it for a few seconds longer, then the traction control will start to kick in and away you go.
i was going for an E-locker my self, BUT not anymore after climbing stuff my mate in a lifted 80 series cruiser couldnt do im stoked, even my yota loving mate cant believe how well it works.

before you buy a locker, give your traction control a chance, i recently had another member show me a video of it in action and i was very surprised as i was told by my dealership that it was only on the rear diff.
Anyway after watching the video and changing my driving style i simply cannot believe how well it works, i was up at Lithgow going places my D22 and old 2010 ST would just never of got to.
I learned that when you get cross locked not to back off the gas straight away and keep at it for a few seconds longer, then the traction control will start to kick in and away you go.
i was going for an E-locker my self, BUT not anymore after climbing stuff my mate in a lifted 80 series cruiser couldnt do im stoked, even my yota loving mate cant believe how well it works.

so far i havent had any issue without lockers. lockers will be last thing going into my car. till den i will rely on maxtrax and winch. not only cost 4k to fit both. just not needed for me. with standard traction control do you have to turn them on manually if you are on low range?

so far i havent had any issue without lockers. lockers will be last thing going into my car. till den i will rely on maxtrax and winch. not only cost 4k to fit both. just not needed for me. with standard traction control do you have to turn them on manually if you are on low range?

No mate its on all the time, it just takes around 3-5 seconds of continuos wheel spin or loss of traction to one or two wheels for the system to realise one wheel is stopped and the others are spinning, so it then applies the brakes to the spinning wheels and forces the one that has stopped to drive and normally the ones that are not drive are the ones with all the traction, so as soon as it starts to drive away you go. It all works fairly well.
The advantage of lockers is that you can turn it on and off when ever you want and when it is on you dont have to wait like you do with the traction control.
Having said that i think its well and truly enough for the D40 and i wont be getting a locker anymore.

For me the main advantages of my rear e-locker are:
1)- I don't need to carry much momentum to go over an obstacle = better control of vehicle + less risk of damages
2)- If I lift one of the front wheels it can only spin at double the speed of the other wheels = less risk of smashing the front diff.
3)- Gives me a bit more confidence and my heart rate is more constant = less risk of heart attack, LOL

ARB or E-Locker it is pretty much the same, what ever you like the most. It is true that ARB they have more parts subject to wear such as 2x switches, 2x relays, compressor, solenoid, valve, internal seals vs Elocker 1x switch, 1x relay, solenoid.

Also saying "buy ARB because you need to have the compressor for the tyres anyway" it is marketing saying and for me it could go with "buy E-LOCKER because you need to have the battery for the car anyway".

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 69
For me the main advantages of my rear e-locker are:
1)- I don't need to carry much momentum to go over an obstacle = better control of vehicle + less risk of damages
2)- If I lift one of the front wheels it can only spin at double the speed of the other wheels = less risk of smashing the front diff.

Before I learnt that the current ST has traction control I was also very fearful of the same things as above, but when watch it in action you see that once a wheel spins faster then the other the abs actually tries to make both wheels turn at the same amount if revolutions, so I know have less risk of the car hitting the ground with one wheel spinning then slapping the ground and breaking something. Watching the videos of our last day if 4x4 you can see the wheel in the air slow right down and it touches the ground hardly turning at.
So now I drive this d40 totally different to the last one and DON'T have to carry extra momentum any longer to clear sections and can just crawl at stuff.
I was about to buy an E-Locker but I really don't think it's needed any more with this model of D40

f#@k all" loose momentum going up the hills while its figuring out wich wheel to stop or spin

Latest posts

Back