Dust proofing canopy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stremd22

Reaction score
hey all..

have just recently finished my custom drawer storage in the canopy on the nav, was wondering if anybody has any ideas on dust proofing the tub?

seen there is some one way flap like things (good description ha) that fit ontop of canopy and open whilst driving along. letting breeze through, and there for making a kind of air pocket where dust cant come in throught tail gate etc..? but these would just let rain or dust in when behind another vehicle on dirt road wouldnt they?

all ideas appreciated, cheers..

It's a hard ask, but it's got to be possible. I haven't succeeded but I haven't tried very hard.

I put one of those $60 Clark Rubber tailgate seal kits in and it's not up to the task.

You have to make sure the windows all seal properly. You have to make sure the tub-canopy interface seals up. Then there's the hidden stuff.

At the front of the tub in the floor you'll find some holes to allow the water out. I suppose you could put some Sikaflex there. The harder one to deal with is the front corners of the tub. There's a triangular-shaped opening where the inner shell of the tub curves around away from the outer shell that meets up with the front wall of the tub.

I wouldn't recommend a scupper (that's the hatch thing that goes in the roof to direct air in and pressurise the tub). It not only collects air, it collects whatever is in the air - so that's dust, rain, bugs, bits of bird that collide with your vehicle etc. Had a few of them on our Uluru trip ... and had to dig the bits of legs, wings and guts out of the front.

some sort of scoop on the roof of the canopy with a oiled filter on it maybe to presurize the tub but with the filter it should stop the dust and bugs getting through. havent tried this but just a on the spot thought

Depends where you are driving. I go on alot of dirt roads around the Southern Tablelands where the speeds are generally 60kmph to 100kmph and the scooper on the roof is perfect keeping everything inside clean. I admit I have only had it for 8 months but have never had any issues with bugs and birds etc (it's a pretty small target) and as far as rain goes it's easy to close from the outside of the car with a quick pat on the top with an open hand leaving it completely water and air tight. Great for keeping the dog cool in summer too. I don't have a filter or anything (straight open airflow) and there are plenty of gaps in my canopy around the tailgate that let dust in without the scoop, so for me it is the perfect option and only cost $70 and a bit of silicone.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter how small the target is, when there's blood and guts being sprayed back from a bird striking your bullbar it goes everywhere. We had one bird leave its leg in the gap between the windscreen glass and the 'A' pillar. The bird flipped onto the roof of the canopy and bounced into the front of the caravan, leaving blood the whole way. I then had to pry the poor thing's leg out of my windscreen before the wife saw it.

I think a filter is a good idea and if you could arrange a water trap as part of it, you'd have a perfect solution.

G'day All

The D22 has many openings from the wheel arch into the tub. Any dirt road will push dust into the tub. I have baffled as many of these openings as I can find by jamming foam into them.

I've fitted a "deck vent" from a boating shop to the top - front of the canopy. It seals out water (I haven't had any in yet) and allows air in.

I added an air pump inside (also from the boating shop) to make sure of the positive pressure at low speed.

After my last run into the Gulf Country the tub was a lot better than the previous trip without it. I got a couple of bird strikes on the way. No blood and feathers either.

I guess the way to stop dirty air going into your vent is to not drive in dirty air.

Goldy

I use to have dust trouble but bought some pinch seal from clark rubber which runs down the side of the tub then put some self adhesive draft seal from bunnings along the bottom of tailgate corner to corner , now hardly dust gets in .You also try leaving the sliding front window open a bit.
Do you have a liner in.

ok little late but this is what i come up with, aliminium powder coated black. fairly beefy. bolted and sikaflex sealed. seems to do the trick a treat as long as your not following somebody closely on dirt roads.

Attachments

• 20120411_56.jpg
    20120411_56.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 20120411_58.jpg
    20120411_58.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 20120411_59.jpg
    20120411_59.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 105

Latest posts

Back