Electric traction control

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey boys sorry I've been working 12hr nights so haven't had much time but Yeh my traction control was defiantly working no foot on the brake, it was awesome can't wait to get some decent rubber on and see what she's capable of doing. Str has the video of it in action and you should he able to see for yourselfs hopefully.

Daveo can you put a link to the video so I can see it. if one has it all should have it thanks Matt

Hey boys sorry I've been working 12hr nights so haven't had much time but Yeh my traction control was defiantly working no foot on the brake, it was awesome can't wait to get some decent rubber on and see what she's capable of doing. Str has the video of it in action and you should he able to see for yourselfs hopefully.

Was it working on the front wheels as well??
and not just the rear??
Im assuming that in the video you must be able to see the front wheel with no traction being slowed down or even locking up from the application of the brakes from the "TRACTION CONTROL" for it to be so obvious.

Looks like I could be on a winner here. Uploading to you tube right now. Very slowly. Il post the link here when it's finished.

was bored this arvo so thought i would ring a few dealers and ask a few different salesmen what they new of how the ABLS and VDC works and i got three totally different answers but when i asked if the front wheels are controlled by any sort of traction control system they all said,,,, ummm wweeeellll ummmm you got me there, and two said, "let me talk to so and so he knows about that and i will get back to you" ,,,,,,,,, guess what........surprise surprise they didnt get back to me at all.

Looking forward to seeing the video though.
It will be good to get some clarity really because as i said i am aware of the rear ABLS but i wasnt aware the front had anything but an open diff so if someone can prove otherwise it will be good to know and to tell the service manager and sales team at Mossvale Motor Group they are wrong.

Farken done it!! Mission impossible. Il spare you the details. I think the best demo is at about 3:10, you see clearly the left off the ground, vehicle revving and the wheel actually slows down. You see a few examples. At the end, 5:20 you hear my CV snap. ouch.

http://youtu.be/wR3zGjTpbQQ

Farken done it!! Mission impossible. Il spare you the details. I think the best demo is at about 3:10, you see clearly the left off the ground, vehicle revving and the wheel actually slows down. You see a few examples. At the end, 5:20 you hear my CV snap. ouch.

yeah your right it does definitely show the front slowing down in that part of the video. But what has me puzzled is why doesnt it do it in the section before that around the 2:40 mark.
I have always felt as though it was the rear pushing the car and was not aware the front was doing anything but spinning in the air.
now i am keen to go out and have someone watch or film the front wheels while one is in the air.

I cant wait to hear what the service manager and friends ay mossvale nissan have to say

I just cant believe all the different info that gets handed out by so called Nissan experts i was told when i bought this model that the ABLS is only on the rear diff when in LOW4 and was told that again the other day by service and sales then today was told all sorts of stories.... do these people even know what they are selling and why does it not get promoted in the PRINTED brochure specs?

Last edited:
Oh and that sound at the end isnt what anyone wants to hear, what did you do to get it home?

Can't help at 2:40, it did never seem to over spin though. Hope the vid helps in your quest. Let us know what the "Nissan experts" say after watching the vid!!

Oh and that sound at the end isnt what anyone wants to hear, what did you do to get it home?

At that stage i didn't actually know the CV was snapped. I had the window up and didnt hear the crack, just the engine noise. I got stuck later where I never would have usually, got out and noticed the free wheeling hub selector (D22 remember) had smashed and was gone. So I just assumed that's why it was only in 3 wheel drive. So I just drove home normally as the hub was as if it was back to the Free wheeling position. Wasn't til the next day I removed the free wheeling hub and the end of the CV came off with it.

well technically it does have a "form" of traction control ,,,,,,,,,,,,, JUST not what we imagine it should be like for a 4wd

I dont think it would. from what i can gather the ABLS works off of the ABS sensors that are located on each wheel and as soon as it detects the rear wheels are not doing roughly the same thing or revolutions, eg one totally stopped it starts to apply a little braking force to the wheel that is spinning.
SO if both wheels are spinning at the same time as they would be when a locker is activated there would be no reason for the ABS or the ECU to assume it needs to do anything so it would remain dormant so to speak.

100% +1.

"Traction Control" means "a means of controlling traction" and that is precisely what happens. The video shows it working perfectly.

Our front diffs are open diffs - no LSD - if the TCS/VDC needs to apply a brake to ANY wheel it can, because it's monitoring the ABS sensors on all 4 wheels all the time anyway. Adding something in the ABS unit to clamp the brakes on a little on a specific wheel isn't really a big thing to do.

However, it's not instant, it still leaves the vehicle vulnerable to high revs and landing the wheel - which won't happen with a locker.

Can't help at 2:40, it did never seem to over spin though. Hope the vid helps in your quest. Let us know what the "Nissan experts" say after watching the vid!!

probably the same reason it didnt work on my ST in that video i posted a link for, why that is exactly i obviously dont have a clue.:dontknow:

Last edited:
I think it's a difference in expectations.

Nissan expects "traction control" to mean "if one wheel is spinning, do something to stop it from spinning at a different rate to the other wheel".

We expect it to mean "don't let the bloody wheels spin at all, just grip and go" - which is a locker, not a brake.

By applying a brake to one axle, the differential (because it has to) will start turning over the other wheel harder. It's a little better than the old handbrake trick, but it still takes time and in no way comes close to the effect of a diff lock.

Yeah Tony i think that is it, i generally DIDNT let my ute sit there spinning wheels in the air for longer then i felt necessary and as i was of the belief that it was on the rear only i was afraid of having the front grab traction while spinning and BANG there goes the diff, i guess im not use to persisting that long with no motion and spinning wheels as it normally a NO NO.

when i thought mine kicked in it was only 2 seconds when the slip light light came on in low second and it really did work, and i was certain the front was working because you could feel it through the steering wheel. But i will still check 2morrow

Anyone else's D40 performing like that? Or is it only D40Daveo's Nav?

Now i now better i would say yes mine does do the same, BUT i never realised the front was doing it at all, i was always under the misguided impression it was only getting help from the rear wheels.
Also as i mentioned before i dont normally persist as long letting the wheels spin, once i loose momentum and become stationary and the wheels are "cross locked" i would normally stop and change my approach.
I will definitely change my method now when possible and just let it spin for a tad longer and give the ABLS a chance to kick in.

I would love to go back to where i was last weekend on that video i posted links for and get into the same position but this time just stick with light acceleration for a few seconds longer and see what happens.

Spoke to the service manager at Nissan croyden Vic he said that they did some tests on ramps and that it defiantly has it its just not as refined as the land rover discovery 4

Anyone else's D40 performing like that? Or is it only D40Daveo's Nav?

Ok so I have had my ST out a few times since this thread was started and after watching your video of D40Daveo's Nav and taking your advice onboard, I tried changing my driving style to suit the "traction control" system or ABLS.
Well it is time for me to eat a big slice of humble pie because it is truly amazing where it will go and actually how comfortably it actually does it.
Especially compared to my 2010/11 ST its chalk and cheese, when you just "keep at it" (as you say) it will climb out of places my old one just never would of.
I have got some video of it doing the "power lines" and "pipeline" tracks at Lithgow yesterday and i just would not of made half of those tracks in my old nav and in fact there was a new Hilux on "pipeline" that stopped so many times on the first quarter he gave up and asked if we would like a try, we said for sure and just cruised passed him much to his disappointment, :ha:

Any way thanks for posting that video and pointing out to this little dumb dumb and so called Nissan salesmen and service experts that the 2012 ST D40 does in-fact have traction control to all four wheels and NOT just the rear.

Cheers 4x4 STR
Regards,
Nathan

Latest posts

Back