extended shackles

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A great question...hopefully we'll get the legall / techo one which the gov bodies are based on

im pretty sure it has to do with axle wrap, with the extra length in the shackle it allows the axle to torque up allot more not only under acceleration but under braking as well, especially if the brakes are applied heavily then released. It may all be bullshit but from what i have read and seen from video footage it is way more severe then using blocks.

Driving lights to be used in series with high beam lights.
Extended shackles to be used only with anti wrap bar.
No?

How does that work when some cars run shackles standard that are like 3 4 of 5 inches longer than some other cars? howcome things like the ford RTV utes just run an extend top shackle mount bolted onto the chassis different from the standard for utes? thats all factory and thats all legal. Also extended shackles wont make a car unstable unless the extended shackles are of very poor quality and alowed to flex in a left to right motion. extended shackles dont change a single thing (with in reason shackles that are like 8 inches longer will obviously hugely change the arc or the moton on the spring alot) in the car in relation to the way the suspension works. there is still no more or no less parts in contact with any other part of the car?

the thing is Ford has mechanical engineers who train at a university to get the knowledge of how to design these things to abide by the ADR's not to sound like a dick here but its something that IMO a backyard mechanic is not qualified to make a decision on, could risk peoples lives if its not designed properly.

the thing is Ford has mechanical engineers who train at a university to get the knowledge of how to design these things to abide by the ADR's not to sound like a dick here but its something that IMO a backyard mechanic is not qualified to make a decision on, could risk peoples lives if its not designed properly.

Yeh i know exactly what you mean by the technicalitys behind it but i dont think the car can become unstable with extended shakles within reason. like i mean a small amount of lift (1", not like 12" long shakles like a tropie ive seen around localy although they are done to a very high standard and the car is stable as hell when i see it driving) and using appropriate materials rather than 4mm flat bar with no reinforcing as i have also seen done before.

I have a set of extended shackles i made for my navara that i havent put in yet but theyre solid as all hell! i used materials thicker and wider than the standard ones and proper high tensile bolts, no threads inside bushed and they will work fine.. but only because they arent overly extended and are made of correct if not over kill materials

I also wasnt meant to seem so rude in that last comment.. if anyone thought that im sorry it was not my intention at all.

you should try and get them engineered then, if they are etter than the originals then you shouldn't have much of a drama.

I have extended shackles and there is no difference in driving behaviour over the stock ones. They are not overly extended and are manufactured from larger/better quality components than stock (no I didn't make them) I don't understand why they'd be illegal actually and off road they provide a nice improvement in articulation, I'm happy to have them on.

I have extended shackles and there is no difference in driving behaviour over the stock ones. They are not overly extended and are manufactured from larger/better quality components than stock (no I didn't make them) I don't understand why they'd be illegal actually and off road they provide a nice improvement in articulation, I'm happy to have them on.

its not so much about how they handle its more about what happens to the diff/axle when forces from acceleration are applied, if you were to film a diff housing with and with out extended shackles you would be amazed.
some of the footage ive seen shows the diff rolling so much tail shafts slip out or snap uni's and even the shafts them selfs.
If the shackles you are using are not to over the top then it wouldn't be that noticeable in every day driving, But put a gopro under there and drive up the road getting on and off the gas and you will see it on film.

its not so much about how they handle its more about what happens to the diff/axle when forces from acceleration are applied, if you were to film a diff housing with and with out extended shackles you would be amazed.
some of the footage ive seen shows the diff rolling so much tail shafts slip out or snap uni's and even the shafts them selfs.
If the shackles you are using are not to over the top then it wouldn't be that noticeable in every day driving, But put a gopro under there and drive up the road getting on and off the gas and you will see it on film.

I understand what you're saying, I don't hammer it like a sports car so I'll probably never be aware of it, thanks for explaining.

that is from my experience and that of my mates

when ever we lowered or raised the trucks blocks caused more issues
my mate blew thru several diffs/axles when using blocks
and when we changed to shackles alot less axle wrap and only blew the diff once

both methods we had a extender bracket for the gearbox spline, granted the hilux did have a 2jz in it but we also uprated the drive train to suit

as stated many times before, everyone has different outcomes
and it comes down to personal preference

Latest posts

Back