fuel problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Beautie

Reaction score
No power 25DY. Went into limp mode last thursday night. No code errors on warning light. NRMA said that it's a fuel issue. Got it towed home. Yesterday replace the fuel the fuel filter. Got it started under priming fuel filter. But still run dry. Still no fuel from the tank. Just want to check if I connected the fuel filter correctly. Has anyone has any diagrams or photos? Also if there is algae in the tank. How can one remove it? Also is there a electric pickup pump in the tank. NRMA said this could be the problem.

I had the same issue recently there is no lift pump from the tank and the primer pump is just not up to the job of lifting the fuel to the filter. What I did was to take off the outlet pipe from the filter then get somebody to hold a compressor line in the tank. You will need to wrap the compressor line in rag so you can get a sort of seal in the filler opening. Just yell stop when the fuel has filled the filter and started coming out of the outlet. You then quickly reattach the line and start pumping the primer until it goes hard you should be set then.

When the fuel filter was replaced, did you see anything other than diesel come out of it ? These engines are so sensitive to contamination of the fuel, that if it were mine, I would be dropping the diesel tank, empty it into a series of buckets and see what comes out. Then use compressed air to clean out the fuel lines. Then replace the diesel tank and fill with clean fuel.

A set of injectors will cost a lot more than a days work.

Also, I have no doubt that the primer works just fine, if it isn't working for you guys, then I would certainly have a look at the primer mechanism, surely it must have a torn diaphragm or bad one-way-valve setup ?

Just add to it. These last couple of weeks the morning and afternoon it would start then it would stall. Then it would take a bit to restart. After that it would be running great. I thought it was sucking air in from somewhere so I checked all the hose clamps & tighten.
Regarding the fuel in the old fuel filter tipped it out into a container & it looked fine, it did have couple of black specks in it.
Regards David
s

How many ks? I had a similar issue, not getting limp mode, but occasional stalling on cold and hot starts. Cold starts stalling was becoming more regular, so I did a liquimoly diesel purge and replaced the fuel filter. Has been good since then, I did also find a small amount of algae around the water sensor at the bottom of the fuel filter. D22dave did say he had a similar finding, which may have been from water sitting there and not from being sucked through the lines from the tank. I have got a bottle of chemtech diesel treatment that I have started using just in case I have any buildup inside the tank.

The diesel purge is very easy to do and I would recommend it if you are still having the same problem after changing the filter. It could be a dirty or sticky suction control valve and this will help clean it.

How many ks? I had a similar issue, not getting limp mode, but occasional stalling on cold and hot starts. Cold starts stalling was becoming more regular, so I did a liquimoly diesel purge and replaced the fuel filter. Has been good since then, I did also find a small amount of algae around the water sensor at the bottom of the fuel filter. D22dave did say he had a similar finding, which may have been from water sitting there and not from being sucked through the lines from the tank. I have got a bottle of chemtech diesel treatment that I have started using just in case I have any buildup inside the tank.

The diesel purge is very easy to do and I would recommend it if you are still having the same problem after changing the filter. It could be a dirty or sticky suction control valve and this will help clean it.
Exact same findings as bods here...very small amout of water and black algee...very very small...

Its done 160,000 km. Is purging like Priming? currently trying to drop the feul tank. trying to work out how to disconnect fuel and bearther lines from tank so i don't damage anything.

Nah, purging is removing the feed and return lines from the high pressure pump on the motor and running a can of stuff through the pump, scv, fuel rail and injectors. Gives a really good clean of the engine fuel system.

Emptied the tank out. Found some black flacky sedament in the bottem of the collection cage & I think the valve in the bottom was sticking. Put it back refilled the tank. purged the fuel filter & line. Turned it over a few until it started.So far so good. No Algea. :cheers!: :happy::big_smile:
:party:

No worries. Sounds like a fun day. Hope its all sorted... might still be worth chucking a purge through next time you change your fuel filter. It will help the injectors last longer too, as well as cleaning the suction control valve...

Nice one! I'm glad that worked, was a bit worried that I had steered you wrong last night when I read you were going to the trouble of dropping the tank!

Latest posts

Back