Glow Plugs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortyNavros

Reaction score
How do you check the glow plugs? I hear about checking them physically? Looking for damage at the tips or something? Cant find anything in the service manual on it.

Cheers,
Shorty

check resistance and see if they are open circuit.
hook a light bulb from battery to glow and if bulb doesn't go the glow plug is shot.

if your going to pull them out to check just fit new ones.

Yeah that was my thought. All I could find in the manual is the resistance is supposed to be 0.5 ohms. Somebody was saying aftermarket glow plugs are ordinary and that you should buy genuine. Is this true?

depends on what brand of glow plugs you go after, cheap ebay ones will probably be even worse then the OEM even if they are half shot, but something like Denso, Bosch or NGK glow plugs will be a big improvement over the oem after ~150,000 kms. personally i got Denso and i cant even see the icon, i turn the key and they instantly go out.

Hi shorty how many k's on ya truck. I have never changed mine on my 02 because it always started well I pulled them out the other day because I have a cracked head so striping it down. Found 3 out of the 4 had broken the tips off so if ya k's are up there a visual inspection would not hurt

Well I ended up buying four new Bosch glow plugs for about $95 total. I think the original ones are NGK and to replace those they are like $85 each as I think they may have ceramic tips. 3 out of 4 had good looking tips. One had a sizeable chuck missing from it. Seems to start easier now

Back