Help, doing my head in. New lights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panuara

Reaction score
I fitted a light bar using a wiring harness and relay drawing signal from the Right hand high beam wire, had that working then fitted two driving lights running through another harness and relay taking power for the signal side of the relay from the same wire. It all worked. Had 1000 k service yesterday and now have lost right hand high and low beam as well as additional lights. Have checked light fuses in black fuse box on left hand rear side of engine bay. Both fuses OK. Replaced bulb still no light.
Any ideas on what to do now.

I fitted a light bar using a wiring harness and relay drawing signal from the Right hand high beam wire, had that working then fitted two driving lights running through another harness and relay taking power for the signal side of the relay from the same wire. It all worked. Had 1000 k service yesterday and now have lost right hand high and low beam as well as additional lights. Have checked light fuses in black fuse box on left hand rear side of engine bay. Both fuses OK. Replaced bulb still no light.
Any ideas on what to do now.

Did you use scotch locks? Sometimes they can corrode and cause all sorts of dramas, get your test light out and follow the power....that's what I would do...

Check your high beam wire, maybe its been cut in half with your tap in connector, mechanic may have put his hand in and disturbed something.

I had a relay play up and do exactly what you describe and the relay was brand new it took me a while to trace the power back to it i changed it for a really old one i had as a spare and bingo it worked.

The relays are worth looking at but it smells like an earth problem to me. Find the earth of the headlamp and connect a cable from it to the battery negative (no fuse should be needed). If the headlights come on, you have your answer.

You could also come to this answer if you have the low beam on and one wire has 12V present between the battery negative and that wire), a second has 12V present when on high beam and the last wire never has 12V (between it and the battery negative). THIS is the wire that I'd connect to battery negative to see if it works. The tool to use is usually a multimeter (black lead to battery negative, red lead to each wire) but a car light globe will also work.

The relays are worth looking at but it smells like an earth problem to me. Find the earth of the headlamp and connect a cable from it to the battery negative (no fuse should be needed). If the headlights come on, you have your answer.

You could also come to this answer if you have the low beam on and one wire has 12V present between the battery negative and that wire), a second has 12V present when on high beam and the last wire never has 12V (between it and the battery negative). THIS is the wire that I'd connect to battery negative to see if it works. The tool to use is usually a multimeter (black lead to battery negative, red lead to each wire) but a car light globe will also work.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I
have got low beam going, There is juice to the fuse (according to multi meter) but not to the plug that goes onto the light. Guess there is a broken wire somewhere in the harness . Such a hard place to get at with the battery in place.
I have the drivers working now so will check out the earth tomorrow. Where are the relays and does the 12v go from the fuse to switch to relay to headlight or from switch to relay to fuse to light?

High and low beam relays are in the black box beside the ABS unit. The relays are on the side opposite the long row of fuses. Look at the box with the fuses on the right, the low beam relay is the second closest to you on the left. High beam relay should be in front of it.

How did you attach the relay to the high beam wire?

Im not sure if this helps, BUT The relay i had trouble with is the one that come with my Narva 225's wiring harness

Wire to high beam

High and low beam relays are in the black box beside the ABS unit. The relays are on the side opposite the long row of fuses. Look at the box with the fuses on the right, the low beam relay is the second closest to you on the left. High beam relay should be in front of it.

How did you attach the relay to the high beam wire?

Yes, took power from an inch behind the plug that attaches to the bulb. Used an quick connect. Have now taken juice from left hand light with soldered connection. I suspect the broken wire may be close to where the quick connect was ..

Last edited:
I think I have found the problem.
I have been triggering two relays, one for a light bar and one for spot ties from the one wire from behind the light. It has been blowing the fuse after a couple of minutes. Should I run each relay from a different headlight as it appears there isn't much extra capacity? Or should I run just one 40 amp relay from the one trigger and run light bar and spotties from it. Have relays wired correctly taking power from battery and earth to body. Was hoping to just have one switch.

Thanks, makes sense! Will try it in the weekend as have an 18 hour day tomorrow and a big day Friday.
It is fantastic to get so much help from you guys!

Fixed

Trigger from each headlight to a separate relay has solved the problem.
Dodgy harness from supercheap didn't help with faulty earth.

Thanks for the advice

Latest posts

Back