Holy crap I bought a d22 zd30 New member

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memo

Reaction score
Just wanted to say gday as i have bought a 2002 d22 zd30 Navara st-r, used this forum to help me when buying so thanks to all the great forums threads on here. My Nav has a custom tray back, Coopers STT bull bar, bought it for a family car but camping, surfing, towing boat, and dog in the back car too. done 183km from what i gather i am 3rd owner, has service history and seems to run pretty nicely, though the Coopers a pretty damn loud thats for sure.

I did buy from a dealer who stated they went over the car in work shop, i have noticed oil leaking from maybe a hose at back of engine, car is heading to mechanics tomorrow for diagnoses, its not on the turbo looking into the bonnet its around the rear left side of engine in the upper area, i am no mechanic and i know more about outboards than Diesels. Hoping i'm not up for rear main or big end, my engine oil is as new tea colour but the oil leak is black so not making much sense to me, any help would be appreciated, the oil is pooling in between gear box and sump, on the cross bar.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

The black oil you're seeing might just be blow-by coming from a leaking PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) hose. This hose is connected from an exit at the top of the motor at the rear, to the air intake tube just forward of the turbocharger. Blow-by produced during combustion is passed back through the intake to fully combust anything in the gas and then pass the result out through the exhaust, rather than dumping the emissions directly to air inside the engine bay.

Fitting a catch can (and ensuring that the hoses are all in good repair) is a good move.

It might be an idea to degrease then pressure-wash the motor and see if the oil reappears. If it does, and it's black when the engine oil is still golden, then it's definitely just a PCV leak.

Thanks for that old.tony, after all i have read on here i felt may it was blow by, beside owning a Mercedes Vito TDi as a company car i have never owned a diesel (my old man and company cars are all diesel) so getting used to checking engine out for anything out of ordinary, will speak with my mechanic tomorrow about installing the can

not sure yet was going to ask my mechanic what he suggested, is the Delo 400 a good thing? The leak turned out to be the tappet cover? which is a relief!!

Its a Caltex product.

Delo 400 is the best oil for the ZD30.

My opinion and plenty of others to.

Its a Caltex product.

Delo 400 is the best oil for the ZD30.

My opinion and plenty of others to.

Thanks dave, my rig has done 183thou km is this oil still fine for that many km? is it 5/30?

Am loving the truck happier now the oil leak is fixed hoping to keep for a while i only do about 10-15k per year km wise so should be good if wel maintained and i have the habit of being too meticulous wiv my cars

still leaking but worse

well i was told the leak was my rocker cover but definately not, they mentioned they sealed it up now its leaking like a fricken siv!! more than before i took it in, it seems no one can diagnose it, looking into the engine bay its the left side of the engine under the injectors, i reckon they have been changed and have a suspicion that its maybe the injector seals?? is this a common fault or any oil hoses under there? i will de grease it today and see, but starting to effect the engine oil level, I am pissed i told the dealer i bought it off the day i left a deposit that i saw some oil there, they mentioned they de greased drove it and it was fine, its been two weeks and i emailed them straight away as it was still leaking the day after i picked it up, they pink and blue slipped it so i thought i was getting a "Roadworthy vehicle" it would appear to me its no if leaking oil!!!

The injector lines come into the rocker cover on the right side, looking at the engine.

Not the turbo line ?

Photo?

Also, don't forget that heat will make the oil thin out quite a lot, so what may seem like a sh#tload of oil, may in fact only be a small amount.

Photo?

Also, don't forget that heat will make the oil thin out quite a lot, so what may seem like a sh#tload of oil, may in fact only be a small amount.

Yeah will try and get a photo, its just hard to see in that area its on same side as dip stick, just above it looks suspicious maybe? i degreased it this morning so am seeing what happens, but need it fixed before xmas i hate the thought of it leaking, its either a mobile diesel mechanic or Nissan workshop my only options for repair around Tweed Heads

Latest posts

Back