How many of us have boats or like fishing?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you own a boat?

• Yes a tinny

Votes: 70 29.2%
  • yes a bigger one

Votes: 83 34.6%
  • no but I would like one

Votes: 63 26.3%
  • No way never again

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Dont need one for the fishing I do

Votes: 19 7.9%

• Total voters
Time for a better rod holder Woody, we used to spend the nights down at Bemm River fishing for 7 Gills, a big chunk of squid on the hook and walk away from the line until the buggers hooked themselves. Never once came close to loosing any rods and back then 1.5m and above were regulars, so were those bloody Port Jacksons too but they have to be thrown back.

U mean the 50mm dia uPVC pipe i stuck inbetween a couple of rocks isn't good enough?

Now that i have the 4be, i'll park it on the beach and use h/d cable tie's the rod to the bull bar, leave the reel on full lock, and when the fish hooks up, i'll just back the Ute up and thus the fish out of the water ....

Got Bayshore 6800 with Honda 225 4stroke for offshore work and a Quinnie Topender 5 metre with 100 Yammy 4stroke for inshore/creek work. Alls good with the fishing up here in the north west.

U mean the 50mm dia uPVC pipe i stuck inbetween a couple of rocks isn't good enough?

Now that i have the 4be, i'll park it on the beach and use h/d cable tie's the rod to the bull bar, leave the reel on full lock, and when the fish hooks up, i'll just back the Ute up and thus the fish out of the water ....

Any good fisherman knows all you need is a "y" shaped stick stuck in the sand and that will hold back anything.

What will be even more fun is when the fish comes clear of the white water and you end up sitting in the Nav with splatted fish guts and scales spread across your windscreen because you went backwards too fast.

Dunno if you've seen that newish beer ad (think is XXXX) where they use a bungy of the back of a Tojo to launch their bait, we went through a stage of about 20 years ago of figuring out new ways to launch bait over the white water and into the deep. It started out with one of us on a surf board but that wasn't good if the board rider got wiped out by a wave so we moved to a skeet shooting type set up. Providing the line didn't tangle we managed to get between 150 and 200 meters of line out into the deep blue, was a bugger to wind in but it did work. Just got to be too much effort lugging the crap down the beach so we went back to casting and only carrying the essentials like beer and rods. Fish aren't only in the deep anyway and I've seen some pretty big fish caught in the white water so being able to cast 150+ meters isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Any updates on your boat Matt? last few snaps a few months ago looked pretty well finished structurally. seen any tight lines in it yet?

i have a Hartly TS 16 sail boat that im restoring. Picking up a quintrex 400 dinghy over the weekend with a 25hp merc on the back..... im so excited. Also looking at buying a 18ft Red Jacket sail boat.

Also has any one got pictures of camper trailer dinghy racks?

Last edited:
theres a young bloke where i buy my timber from that has one FAST boat..its so fast he won last years Australian drag boat title with it...he builds his own engines and beat supercharged boats with his thats not supercharged,
he has added nos this year..its a big block ford powered unit so if you come accross a boat named MOISTURE MISSILE....dont try and beat him...cos u wont...
your likely to see it at Eildon during summer or at Patto lakes racing..

I've got an Ally Craft 4.25 meter tinny with a 3 cylinder Yamaha 2 stroke on the back. I mainly fish inland waters (the reservoirs near home and the Loddon and Murry rivers) but I do drag whatever boat I've got at the time down to Williamstown to fish Port Phillip Bay on calm days sometimes. I had the cover off the motor when I took this shot because I was getting some minor maintenance done. I picked this tinny because it's got a front casting deck for the river but has deeper sides than most other 4.2 tinnies for the occasional bay use. Not ideal for either but I've got to make 1 boat do 2 jobs.

818066125_NRQ6s-M.jpg

Any updates on your boat Matt? last few snaps a few months ago looked pretty well finished structurally. seen any tight lines in it yet?

Umm yes and no, the boat itself is back at the boat builders getting a hard top and a couple of little finishing off bits, I was hoping to get them done before Xmas but everything just got too busy. All going to plan I should have the boat back home at the end of next week. I have bought an outboard for it and am supposed to pick it up this Sunday. It's a 150hp Etec so should push it along nicely. I have also converted the trailer to dual axle, the weight added up quicker than I thought and the 1400kg springs were no way near enough. I only have another 8 weeks till the next fishing comp so that's my deadline. Hopefully will have some more pics very soon!
Thanks for your interest ;)

That looks awesome Matt. Any chance of some snaps from inside? what colour scheme are you going for? it's looking (from that angle) like a Barcrusher walkaround.:captain:

That looks awesome Matt. Any chance of some snaps from inside? what colour scheme are you going for? it's looking (from that angle) like a Barcrusher walkaround.:captain:

Its going to be a side console, a bit strange i know but on the days when I have the missus and 4 kids out in the boat I wanted as much room as possible. So basically its just a big open tinny. Lots of storage in the big side pockets and all the front raised seection has storage under. 150L fuel tank under the floor, kill tank at the back, and will eventually be a fresh water tank at the front under the floor with a hose hooked up to it.

photoyl.jpg

Ive got a 4.2m tinny and a 3.5m cartopper, does alright up here

Attachments

• sail.jpg
    sail.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 76
Love it - "Plan B" gold! she looks very nice, MUCH better now it has paint and an Etec. whats left to do? looks pretty well done, apart from wiring in the console and lights.

Love it - "Plan B" gold! she looks very nice, MUCH better now it has paint and an Etec. whats left to do? looks pretty well done, apart from wiring in the console and lights.

Yeah not too much mate, I got 2 120AH 825cca batteries for it so should have 12v power to burn, have to do the rest of the wiring, hook up the fuel tank and breathers, hydraulic steering, engine controls, a little bit of upholstery and screen can come later if they have to, and then some kind of sounder/gps and VHF. So still lots of fiddly stuff to do.I also want to get a service done on the motor as I bought it second hand, I can do that once its been wet though too.

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciated it. Its been a long journey!

Back