I'm a new guy.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off to the stealership this afternoon, no surprise about the prices. Door glass trims about $300 per door, but the kicker? Drivers seat - just the bottom cushion and cover? That'll be $1100. No thanks.

Chasing up the cover via the US. Can anybody confirm that the Frontiers have the same sort of trim as our D40's? I'll do some googling too.

Off to the stealership this afternoon, no surprise about the prices. Door glass trims about $300 per door, but the kicker? Drivers seat - just the bottom cushion and cover? That'll be $1100. No thanks.

Chasing up the cover via the US. Can anybody confirm that the Frontiers have the same sort of trim as our D40's? I'll do some googling too.

I'd be trying the wreckers!

Righto. After some calculations I am er, not very happy with the fuel economy of my new truck.

I dont measure in L/100 - I measure in dollars I put in compared to kms I get out. So my standard measure is put $20 of 95RON in (equates to about 12L) and see what I get out of that. The old XR8 managed about 150kms on DTE with that from a virtually bone dry fill, in real world driving I got probably 100kms or so. Not great, but got used to it.

Now the D40 - $20 of Vortex 95 got me a massive 70kms. I reset the trip computer after the fill and just did my usual routine - go to work and back, round town etc. Not giving it a hard time. I was not impressed when the low fuel light came on after just 70kms, so this afternoon I've put a new air filter in and also cleaned the MAF. Also started looking into ways to open up the intake and with the long weekend coming will likely build an airbox of some sort to direct air past the radiator into the same area as the factory box. I still can't understand why they have these engines breathing through a straw.

I sincerely hope the economy improves or I will be questioning the D40's location in my driveway. :deadhorse2:

On a better note Ive got some genuine Nissan floor mats on the way and have also made some progress on getting new bailey channel rubber and waist moulds to replace the crap ones on there now. Tracked down Scott@ Fontana Nissan and am looking into some new parts too.

Oh, and if anybody wants a flexiglass aluminium tray to suit the D40, let me know. Im after a tub to change it back and am open to deals.:shooter:

Ive just bought a d40 dc with a tub looking to change it over to a tray what sort of deal were you thinking?

Ive just bought a d40 dc with a tub looking to change it over to a tray what sort of deal were you thinking?

Depends on where you are and what colour it is. My paint code is BW9 - Paris Blue. I'm in Wagga Wagga NSW, to be honest Id love to just do a straight swap given I'll still have to paint the tub to match the car.

Let me know what you think etc.

Hmm the tub is silver. Perfect nick and tub liner. Do you have any photos I'm in Canberra. Dunno if I'm all that keen to do a straight swap. I'll have a look around and check out some prices.

Hmm the tub is silver. Perfect nick and tub liner. Do you have any photos I'm in Canberra. Dunno if I'm all that keen to do a straight swap. I'll have a look around and check out some prices.

Fair enough. I might get some paint quotes and go from there if you like.

I get around 14lt/100 around town.Did a trip last year with a 1.5ton camper and got around 17lt/100 with 265/75/16 tyres so not bad.

Depends on where you are and what colour it is. My paint code is BW9 - Paris Blue. I'm in Wagga Wagga NSW, to be honest Id love to just do a straight swap given I'll still have to paint the tub to match the car.

Let me know what you think etc.

You should have bought my car, its in perfect nick.
pics are in sig!

Hi all

quick intro, my name is Aust and I am about to become the new owner of an 06 D40 ST-X V6 5 speed auto. Looking forward to it.

I actually started looking for Hiluxes after having one as a company vehicle a while ago, I am starting my own business and wanted a solid ute that could tow easily. After a lot of search (and almost buying), I gave up on finding a good hilux that didn't have either bugger all options (I hate rubber floors) or a million kms, and found the D40 instead.

I chose the V6 after reading lots on the net about DPF and injector failures, and for the work and kms I am going to do I think the V6 will do just fine. I'm coming out of 4 previous XR8 utes so I am not too fussed with the potential fuel bill.

I'm yet to pick the ute up but was wondering if anybody could help me out with just a few little queries I have:-

* Where were the 06 ST-X models built, Spain or Thailand?

* What differences are there between the US spec Frontier with the 4L V6 and our version, I'm looking at a K&N intake kit and not sure if it will fit

* Planning to drop all oil, plugs, filters and fluids when I get the car and redo them all. I work at Autobarn so no issues with getting gear, is there anything else I should check or replace. Car has done 130,000kms.

I plan to fit out the car with a DVD headunit, reverse cam and some good speakers, along with the K&N intake and maybe some driving lights (has a nudge bar). Will take some photos once I get it.

Looking forward to becoming part of the community.

Aust

Welcome to the forum

I get around 14lt/100 around town.Did a trip last year with a 1.5ton camper and got around 17lt/100 with 265/75/16 tyres so not bad.

As per my other posts I dont really worry about litres per hundred, but I am convinced I can get this thing to be better (lighter) on the juice. I'm not by any means a mechanic but there's a few simple things I want to try and modify to try and a) wake it up a bit (can feel it very doughy around town until it gets a few revs up it) and b) calm it's drinking habit down a bit.

So with mrs b2tf a bit seedy after her family's reunion last night I decided to spend a bit of time getting more acquainted with the new truck.

Did a mod on the airbox today, couldn't believe the amount of crud in the airbox. New paper filter from the 80k service but the dust and oily gunk in there was ridiculous. Cleaned it out and cut a large hole in the front of the airbox facing the gap between the radiator and the support bar. Removed a plastic cover there and it now has uninterrupted air flow from the front grille through to the airbox. I'll be interested to see if/how this changes performance and economy, worst case scenario if I have to reverse it I'm only up for a new lower airbox.

The front grille was looking a bit ratty (faded plastics etc) so a quick coat with satin black on the grille has it looking a bit better. I will likely still replace it with a brand newy though. Was looking at the billet style ones but even at my prices they're dear to buy and I'm not completely sold on the look.

I intend on changing the 02 sensors along with the oil in the next few weeks too.

Had a customer come into work yesterday who had just picked up a new ST model and dropped a lot of coin at ARB to kit it out - long range tank, bullbar with scrub bars, air locker etc etc. Best bit was one of the rear steps that replace the chrome one though - looked tough and well built. Shudder to think the price but if I can find a second hand one I might go for it. Old mate was wrapt with his ute too - wanted a tray on it though.

I'll try and clean the truck up tomorrow and take some pics, still a bit rough for my liking but you gotta start somewhere.

A quick update. After opening up the airbox and removing the deflector from behind the front grill a definite improvement in performance has been noted. I only made a smallish hole in the front and when you hit a certain rev range it really opens up, so I will make a complete new airbox to make the most out of the available airflow and wake it right up. Economy is improving but not by much but I do expect that to improve with the new box too. A good service is still on my to do list.

The stealership I bought the car from finally admitted they were having trouble sourcing the window moulds that I said I wanted replaced, so with the help of Garry @ Nizzbits (who is awesome to deal with) I've managed to get them and will have the dealer reimburse me for the cost of them. Looking forward to replacing them as they bug me every time I get into the truck.

NOS Nissan floor mats fitted, nice cheap upgrade. Ive also managed to source some NOS seat trims which will fix up the driver's seat.

Also removed some of the parts of the tray (useless tie points etc) and I am thinking about painting it body colour for the time being until I source a tub. Got a wedding to pay for so I can't see the tub going on before that, at least if it's all the same colour it mightn't look so bad. I will probably also change the taillights over to LED's and just generally fix it up a bit.

I had some Narva Arctic Blue H4's lying around so chucked them in too, I prefer Philips Crystalvision so might change it over again later.

Baby steps.

quite often there are complete new tubs on ebay, sometime from only a couple hundred bucks and way less than the price of a tray. might pay to first find out if the thai tubs are compatible with the spaniards. i believe the chrome bumpers are different

quite often there are complete new tubs on ebay, sometime from only a couple hundred bucks and way less than the price of a tray. might pay to first find out if the thai tubs are compatible with the spaniards. i believe the chrome bumpers are different

Yeah I have seen them on Ebay before, place in Newcastle does a fair few of them for around the $500 mark. Either way I'll paint the current tray body colour (mix paint at work) to blend it in a bit for now.

Expecting to see the new window moulds next week.

Noticed a bit of clunking coming from the front end, I plan on getting underneath tomorrow and checking everything over. Anything that is a common issue with these utes?

Few photos of the truck. Cleans up ok.

2012-10-17191629-Copy.jpg

2012-10-17190422-Copy.jpg

And the offending tray........

2012-10-17190452-Copy.jpg

2012-10-17190510-Copy.jpg

Bit of an update.

Few weeks ago I put a K&N filter in the stock airbox. After a few tanks of fuel I'm happy to say it is making a difference - now getting about 500kms out of a tank around town which is significantly better than it was.

Next step is new 02 sensors and some more modification to the intake setup. Other than that Ive replaced the window trims (thanks Garry @ Nizzbits) and also organised a tub to go on and replace the tray. That will take a little while as it needs to be painted to match the car. New front grille badge on the way too.

Another update (even though I feel like I'm talking to myself)....

Changed the oil today to Liqui Moly 5w30 full synthetic and also added their MOS2 Anti Friction Treatment to the mix. The drained oil was black as you know what and if I believe the dealer it had only been in there 5000kms so I feel a bit better knowing what is in there now. Be interested to see how it goes in terms of fuel economy etc.

Geez getting the oil filters on and off is a pain in the arse on these cars, the access hole is a great idea but its just big enough to be too small and i ended up getting at it by shoving my arm alongside the steering arm and yanking it out. Bugger of a job.

I've also bought a billet style lower grille off Ebay just to see if i like the look. Only paid $20 brand new so it's not a big loss if i don't.

Other than that no news. Been too busy building the spray rig for my new business so it's likely the next mod the D40 cops will be signwriting.

Back