I'm a new guy.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b2tf

Reaction score
Hi all

quick intro, my name is Aust and I am about to become the new owner of an 06 D40 ST-X V6 5 speed auto. Looking forward to it.

I actually started looking for Hiluxes after having one as a company vehicle a while ago, I am starting my own business and wanted a solid ute that could tow easily. After a lot of search (and almost buying), I gave up on finding a good hilux that didn't have either bugger all options (I hate rubber floors) or a million kms, and found the D40 instead.

I chose the V6 after reading lots on the net about DPF and injector failures, and for the work and kms I am going to do I think the V6 will do just fine. I'm coming out of 4 previous XR8 utes so I am not too fussed with the potential fuel bill.

I'm yet to pick the ute up but was wondering if anybody could help me out with just a few little queries I have:-

* Where were the 06 ST-X models built, Spain or Thailand?

* What differences are there between the US spec Frontier with the 4L V6 and our version, I'm looking at a K&N intake kit and not sure if it will fit

* Planning to drop all oil, plugs, filters and fluids when I get the car and redo them all. I work at Autobarn so no issues with getting gear, is there anything else I should check or replace. Car has done 130,000kms.

I plan to fit out the car with a DVD headunit, reverse cam and some good speakers, along with the K&N intake and maybe some driving lights (has a nudge bar). Will take some photos once I get it.

Looking forward to becoming part of the community.

Aust

Welcome to the forums

ST-X = Spain

Don't know the exact differences between ours and the US but I'm guessing the side the steering wheel was on is one of the main differences

Thanks for the replies. Been doing a bit of research at work and have found some parts to suit as well as all my fluids to go into the car.

I am going to put the K&N panel filter in for the time being and go from there. A bloody good detail inside and out is also in order.

So - take 2. Before the above mentioned vehicle could be picked up, old mate did the dirty on me and sold it. These things happen I guess.

So the new (and confirmed mine) Navara is an 05 D40 ST-X, Auto Petrol Dual Cab. Maybe not the serious offroader choice but for what I want to do with it it will do it well.

Went with petrol due to the reasons I mentioned above, other than that happy days. I picked it up with 5 months rego, 80,000kms and a trayback for $20k. Pretty happy with that.

Not as yet, picking it up from the dealer on Saturday and they've already taken the car off carsales. Its the dark metallic blue colour, I haven't got the code yet so don't know the name of it. I'll mix up some spare paint when I get it home.

I was (still am) a bit iffy about having an alloy tray as opposed to factory tub, with the work I am going to do from it (I'm a pestie by trade) I need everything locked so the plan was to get one with tub and put a roller top on. The price of those soon changed that so we will see how the tray goes, worse case scenario I'll change it over. From what I have seen of it it appears they have left the rear chrome step on underneath the tray which looks a bit weird, so that will come off when I get it home and go into storage.

Well, got home tonight after making the trip up yesterday to pick the ute up. Picked it up in Wyong, got to Wollongong last night and home this afternoon - a nice 700km trip to get acquainted with the new bus.

Initial impressions:

Very well designed truck. Love the interior, functional and comfy.
V6 has heaps more go than I thought it would, especially with an auto behind it. I expected to have to work it hard - I find myself backing off a lot more than I thought I would.
Fuel economy at the moment leaving a bit to be desired but I will give the truck a good service myself, throw in a K&N air filter and see how it goes. Under no impressions that it was going to be as good as a YD25 but still hoping for a bit better than it is now.

Actual vehicle impressions:

Stuff me I have some work to do to this car. Was obviously owned by blind retards who couldn't find the key hole in the door but kept stabbing - and then did it to every other door too. Touch up guys are going to love me.
Said retards did thankfully look after the interior but there are a few parts I will be replacing purely because I'm fussy, namely back seat cup holder and the external window trims. Got the dealership to throw these in for free, brand new parts ex Nissan.
This particular ute is a trayback which I am still undecided on. They have left the rear chrome step from the tub on there though which looks weird and serves no purpose, so it will be coming off tomorrow. If the tray stays I will at least colour code it.
Has 4 new tyres so big win there.
Front grille needs a cleanup, just faded plastic. Half considering the aftermarket style ones but don't think I will do it.
Drivers seat base showing some wear. I want to replace it, anybody know where I can get one.

Other than that a good clean is on the cards and then some more time behind the wheel to get used to it. Looking forward to it.

Sorry one other thing. Was there ever an issue with the bonnets on these cars? Noticed it seems to bounce around a lot and was also quite difficult to open.

Yeah they had a recall on the bonnets, there are a couple of threads here about it or on the recalls.gov.au site too. Nissan should be able to look the vin up and see if its been done or not.

Oh, btw I remember you from the ford forums too, good to see you got a Nissan and not a ranger, lol

Whats the VQ40DE getting per 100km's ?

I might get one next time.

Haven't done the sums yet but will do some figures soon. It will also be my daily so will soon work out if it's a pig or not. Power's good though!

Going to head into the local dealer this arvo to get some parts prices for a laugh. I'll get 'em to check the bonnet recall as well as any others, I know the wheels have been done and I think the axles have too.

Oh, btw I remember you from the ford forums too, good to see you got a Nissan and not a ranger, lol

I almost did buy a PK Ranger but the back seat size put me right off. Too damn cramped, not that I sit in the back but it was a big turnoff. That and the umbrella handbrake - I f**king hate them :violin2:

These have awesome power but are thirsty for a full tank my best economy Hwy was around 450 klms, worst around town 300klms.

Would be close to that in mine I reckon. I am running 95RON and I plan on opening up the intake a bit more. One of the first things I did on all my old XR8's was put a much bigger intake on them, always improved the economy and power.
I plan on dropping the oil and replacing it with Liqui Moly which might help things along too.

Latest posts

Back