Installing Calmini upper control arms - DIY

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks charlie.
I was contemplating doing the same thing but to get the strength it needs to be bent up. I dont think welding the main body of the arms would make it strong enough unless some thicker plate was used

nice write up and im looking into do it just to get that lil extra from the front end...not the full 3" but just on the 2" as ur restricted by standard arm. how long did it take u and what grease dod i use in ur new arms and balljoint?

thanks
Rusty

nice write up and im looking into do it just to get that lil extra from the front end...not the full 3" but just on the 2" as ur restricted by standard arm. how long did it take u and what grease dod i use in ur new arms and balljoint?

thanks
Rusty

Only took a few hours but I was buggering around with other stuff so probably 2 mabye 3 hours. Not sure what grease I used but it was just a basic ball joint grease

i can change upper control arms on d21 in hour- hour 30 just depends if you got air tools or not

id hate to bring up an old thread but i have one quewtion i need answering. i am just bout to get a setof these through the bulk upper arms order from reg'd and i am wanting to know exactly what grease is required for the bushes and balljoint. do i just use what is in my grease gun? i use this grease on my rear shackles/bushes. i have no idea what it is cause i cant remember what i purchased and put in it :(.

thanks
Rusty

id hate to bring up an old thread but i have one quewtion i need answering. i am just bout to get a setof these through the bulk upper arms order from reg'd and i am wanting to know exactly what grease is required for the bushes and balljoint. do i just use what is in my grease gun? i use this grease on my rear shackles/bushes. i have no idea what it is cause i cant remember what i purchased and put in it :(.

thanks
Rusty

Ball joints should be sealed, no extra grease required. The grease in your gun will be fine for the bushes.

oh easy then. one less thing i have to grease hehe. so why is there a grease nipple on top of the ball joint? or am i looking at the wrong part of the arm lol

oh easy then. one less thing i have to grease hehe. so why is there a grease nipple on top of the ball joint? or am i looking at the wrong part of the arm lol

OK, they probably are greasable, less common these days. They should still be filled from factory and not require any extra.

The ball joints come dry but just a basic grease is heaps for them as they are only a small amount of movement compared to uni joints for example. I just used and basic grease and its still good. Just keep topping it up every once and a while

Will I need extended torsion bars for these? I already have the Ironman 2in lift and looking at a lil more height and good clearance.

Cal arms

Hi guys,
Just a quick on on the install of the cal upper arms. Recently picked up some second hand arms that had done around 10k. Found this install posted was very handy but did have some trouble tightening up the upper ball joints as they wanted to keep spinning. To over come this I situated my jack under the lower arm, tied the upper arms down to where the lower bump stop strikes and then jacked up the lower arms. I found this way created enough pressure against the top ball joint to stop it from spinning. Also using a ball joint remover will have a tendency to rip the rubber boots around the ball joint, which isn't ideal if you are to re install original arms in the future. Before using a ball joint remover tool, try to wack the joint with a hammer. Aiming at the eyelet on the inner side of hub assembly. Hope this helps people in the future. If you are thinking about doing this mod I strongly recommend it! I wound my front end up another 2inches with no wheel alignment issues at all. Bloody beautiful!!:rock:

Hey fellas

Am in the process of getting my control arms in. New shocks ordered and arms on the bench. Question is do I need to upgrade the torsion bars aswell? I was gonna use the factory torsion bars and bilstein shocks.

Any suggestions would be great? I can pick up ironman bars for $250

Depends what you are running on the front, if u have a steel bar, winch and second battery under the hood then there is an extra 100 - 150kg at the front of your Nav. I upgraded mine on this basis as the stock bars were sagging

Hey fellas

Am in the process of getting my control arms in. New shocks ordered and arms on the bench. Question is do I need to upgrade the torsion bars aswell? I was gonna use the factory torsion bars and bilstein shocks.

Any suggestions would be great? I can pick up ironman bars for $250

Hay Russ. I upgraded mine to Ironman (sax) bars and they ride very nice. Ranchos are on 6-7 and it floats over the bumps. I also have ARB steel bar and dual batteries up front. Also wound up to 3" to suit the UCA's.i couldn't be happier with the way my front rides.

Cheers.

Dual batteries alloy bar spotties is all that's up front. Eventually a steel bar and winch, but not for a while.

Think I might change them out

Latest posts

Back