Installing Calmini upper control arms - DIY

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just put in new arms and calmini torsion bars and could not be happier, so much more down travel and ride quality is just in another ballpark

Hi good write up, the only thing I noticed is that when I was taught about removing ball joints we were told to loosen the nut but leave it on, then use the ball joint separator to crack it and then remove the nut, so that the pressure when it lets go is contained to a few mm of movement.
Do you have any side by side shots of the UCA's?
cheers

Hmmm undecided now. I have been offered a great deal on efs bars. I guess the torsion bars aren't that hard to change in and out. Just a pain taking the bashplates etc off twice

Hey guys I just installed my calmini uca's to level out the car . I have a 2" tough dog lift and I got the wheel alignment done and the guy who did it either didn't do it properly or I dunno need help ASAP there is massive negative camber . Would it b from lifting the front up to much or ?need to get it fixed ASAP

It's not done properly. Dont know how you prove its wasn't done properly but I would suggest a different place. You should be able o get it pretty spot on

Mate it would be the alignment for sure. If it is that bad he should have seen it. I have had wheel alignments done and the car has driven worse than before they did it. Hard to get good service these days.

Ye true , but it is riding really bad on the front perhaps the front needs to drop down abit . It feels like I'm driving a drift car !

How high did you go? I have about 15-20mm clearance to the top bump stop. If the alignment is out it will be a bitch to drive if they get it wrong. Caster can cause all sorts of problems.

Honestly I didn't even check the bump stop clearance .Dumb i know .
All I know is that from centre of hub to the bottom of the flare is 600mm to match the rear . The car actually drives pretty straight it's the negative camber that's the problem . Can the camber change the ride like that ?

And to answer how I went . I had a 2 inch tough dog lift but I'm pretty sure the rear springs ended up being 3" lift so I lifted the front with the new arms the level out .. So it's at 3" nw do u think that's the problem ? U rekn the shocks are maxing out also cause there to suit 2" lift ? I don't think there maxing out ????

Your shocks shouldn't be a problem because the range of travel is basically the same. The Calmini arms do give you more travel due to the design giving extra bump stop clearance. Check you have some clearance on the bump stops. Neg camber will give you a bad feel in the steering.

image-1705803848.jpg

This is how mine look for a reference.

George I have the exact same suspension set up. When I first had it done I got the guys who did the alignment to wind the bars up higher before they did the alignment. They did what you have and wound them up level to match the tough dog rear springs which do give 3inchs of lift. I only had about 5mm bump stop clearance and it rode quite stiff as it had very little down travel.

I would suggest you drop the front down a little so you have about 15mm clearance to the stops. You should really have the nose down a little compared to the back. From memory my front is about 770mm front and 785-790mm rear measured from bottom of rim to guard. The reason I lowered mine was because I stripped a torsion bar adjuster hitting a pot hole because the bars were maxed out with little travel.

Hope it helps

-tyler

Latest posts

Back