Introduction

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outback

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just a quick intro. The real name is Shane and I live in Toowoomba, SE Queensland (I'm a WA boy though). The 100 Series is getting tired so the missus and I went shopping for a new 4by this morning. We decided on a Navara RX D40. There were a variety of reasons for not going with other dual cabs that I won't go into. We've yet to sort out a trade in price for the cruiser but I hope to be ordering by next weekend either here or in Brissy depending on best price/trade in. I plan to put a canopy on it first up (maybe a UHF as well) and we'll see about other mods as we go. Anyway, I look forward to being a member of the forum.

Cheers
Shane

Welcome to the forums Shane. All the D22 boys will tell you you brought the wrong ute so just ignore them, but they'll agree you did well getting out of a Yota.

There is plenty to read here so hope you find something useful.

Welcome to the forums Shane. All the D22 boys will tell you you brought the wrong ute so just ignore them, but they'll agree you did well getting out of a Yota.
Thanks Krafty. I'll argue the point about the cruiser. I bought it brand spankers and it's done around 300000 kms through most of WA, SA, and the bottom 1/2 of the NT and never a problem. Well one problem, one of the barn doors went out of alignment on the first trip away. The fact that the spare wheel fell off on some cars didn't affect me. It's at that point in life where maintenance costs are increasing so time to change. I will miss it.

There is plenty to read here so hope you find something useful.
I'm finding that out now.

Cheers

Last edited:
You'll find some diehard Toyota bashers here but most of them are only joking around and some would buy a Yota if the prices were a bit closer to Nav's but at the end of the day most of them realise it doesn't matter what you drive it's how you drive it.

I still maintain it's the D22 drivers you need to look out for but they will present themselves soon enough and you'll see for yourself :big_smile:

Keep in mind the differences between the RX and the ST-X there are quite a few of each here but not all mods that fit the ST-X fit the RX and vise versa

G'day Shane welcome to the forum and yes you did buy the wrong model.First thing to do is put decent recovery points on it because us D22 drivers are forever pulling you guys out of the shit.lol.Did you get the updated hair drier with it oh and the scissors should be in the glove box.

G'day Shane welcome to the forum and yes you did buy the wrong model.First thing to do is put decent recovery points on it because us D22 drivers are forever pulling you guys out of the shit.lol.Did you get the updated hair drier with it oh and the scissors should be in the glove box.

The dealer should have given you some hair spray to go with that..:sarcastic:

And so it begins.

I was thining of putting the recovery points on the rear as my experience with Patrol drivers was that if I did get stuck they wouldn't be able to pull me out from the front because I had to go first if the track looked dodgy. Does the same apply? Are you the person I was told can tell me where I can get a 12 volt hair dryer? Scissors? Don't use them, I like the rugged look.

I haven't signed the dotted line yet so what's the difference between the two? I may yet be convinced.

Thanks for the warm welcome. :big_smile:

BTW, thanks for the advice Krafty. I'll make sure I do my research before any purchases.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hello Shane.

Metro Nissan in Brisbane were doing RX Dual cab 4x4's for $33990 Drive away from memory recently. I recall it was an awesome price.

I Agree with the other comments on Toyotas. My last one was an 80 Series, Sold it with 354000k's and still going strong. The Nissan pricing was the temptation. Would have preferred a Hilux Diesel but at near 20k more i can't even think about justifying the difference.

I Bought a D22 ST-R and found it to be excellent value for money. So far so good. The last Nissan i Had was a G60 Patrol!! And the one before that was a 200B.....HaHa.

Regards
Greg

I haven't signed the dotted line yet so what's the difference between the two? I may yet be convinced.

When you skip over all the silly talk about hair cuts in a D40 and how manly you will look with a D22 you'll find plenty of comparisons of the different models on this site alone but when it's all said and done the choice you make has to suit you not someone else.

The specs sheets off the Nissan website are a fairly good start to give you an idea of the model range and there is no mention of perms and pissing contests so you can make a decision based on the real world specs not the forum world specs.

D40's are made in Spain or Thailand depending on the model and not all mods are compatible with both builds. D22's are made in a hay shed somewhere with old tractor parts, actually that's a lie I don't care enough about D22's to know where they are built, but there is plenty of mods available for them. So if you are wanting to do mods it does pay to check out the availability of the mods now rather than buying and finding they don't make them for your new car.

The big difference you'll find driving the D40 over the D22 is the comfort factor, there is more internal room and you don't have to act all manly, puff your chest out and beat it caveman style to prove your gender to those around you.

Well it's easier to agree with comments from people that don't know the truth than it is denying it and having someone find out the real truth. I just wish a real job description came with the owners manual or even stuck to the windscreen, this confusion about whether I cut, perm and manicure or just cut and perm is effecting business.

The big difference you'll find driving the D40 over the D22 is the comfort factor, there is more internal room...

Thanks Krafty. I did check out a D22 and me being just on 6ft (185cm) the D40 was a better fit.

Thanks to all for the welcomes.

Cheers
Shane

Welcome

Hi Outback and welcome, good luck with your new purchase, I too sold my 100 series for a new Nav as I just didnt need the larger size and decided to try somthing diferent, I chose the ST, both the ST and RX are made in Tialand only the ST-x is made in Spain, most of the differences other than spec levels are from the fact they vary in construction so their not exactly the same in size and accessory parts need to be ordered for that perticular model to fit properly.
Toyota's Hilux is also made in Tialand as are many other cars we know well so thats not a problem.
Cheers.

Thanks Krafty. I did check out a D22 and me being just on 6ft (185cm) the D40 was a better fit.

Thanks to all for the welcomes.

Cheers
Shane

DITTO about fitting into the D40 vrs cramping in the D22

Welcome Shane - good choice on selecting the D40. i've had my RX for exactly 1 year (this weekend) and have loved driving it each and every day. thankfully, i've been able to do most of the upgrades i've been patiently waiting for over the last 4 months, and its really transformed the NAV into a great truck.

you will find other passionate D40 lovers like Krafty and Old Tony very helpful with advise on how to get the best from your D40 - and not just those two blokes, theres plenty more (just too many to start mentioning them all by name ...)

I'll throw my welcome mat out as well - and thanks for the kind words there Woody, but I just try to help make things clearer and have a bit of fun researching stuff and learning myself!

The primary differences between the D22 and the D40 - for our purposes - are the off-road abilities and the space + appointments.

The D22 has a different suspension setup and is more capable off-road than the D40. It's easier to put height on a D22 as the D40 has coil springs up front and there's a limit to the travel there. However (comparing dual cab versions), it's cabin is 175mm shorter, most of that room being lost in the back seat area. That's important if you're carting adults, or thinking about a baby capsule.

The D40 sits lower but due to its coil spring suspension and improved seats, has a much smoother ride. The STX model has child seat hooks in the back with a nifty double-folding seat that gives you heaps of space in the rear. Central locking, electric mirrors etc make for refinements that are very nice to have but as with all things they come with a price tag.

That all said, you could throw money at the D40 and have a capable off-road vehicle. Not as nimble as the shorter wheel-based Jeep and not nearly as capable off the tarmac as a Hummer but there are always compromises to be made and if you're after something that tows well, tours well, can do medium off-road stuff without too much heartache and doesn't cost a fortune to own or run, the Navara isn't bad at all.

I wouldn't go back in time and change to a different vehicle, despite my dislike of the stupid bonnet retention strap.

Tony you are not correct, the D40 has a far better suspension setup offering much better front wheel travel, steering geometry and can be lifted 65mm without any bump stop contact. The rear uses longer springs which improves articulation and traction over the D22. The D40 has bigger brakes and overall a much more robust drive line. The only thing limiting offroad performance is it's road height, longer wheel base and the turning circle.

That all said, you could throw money at the D40 and have a capable off-road vehicle. Not as nimble as the shorter wheel-based Jeep and not nearly as capable off the tarmac as a Hummer but there are always compromises to be made and if you're after something that tows well, tours well, can do medium off-road stuff without too much heartache and doesn't cost a fortune to own or run, the Navara isn't bad at all.

Tony ... i reckon your right on the mark (or money) with the highlight comment ...

I reckon my D40 RX (RX = no refinments) is a good bit of machinery now, and cant wait to test it in some true off road conditions. Pity it doesn't look like it will be this weekend though.

Hi Shane and welcome. My sister and I both bought Navaras at the same time some 5 years ago, she got the D40, I got the D22. Although the D40 has the room and comfort factor it would not stand up to the elements my D22 does on a weekly basis. Buy whay suits your needs, you will still enjoy it because it's a NAVARA....

Latest posts

Back