"limping" STX manual, engine light on.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An update on my ST-X issues.

ITS FIXED !

A huge thanks to all who suggested things to check.

I went home and fitted the new fuel filter, checked all electrical connecters I could get my hands on, cleaned the crank angle sensor plug, it was clean. Took it for a drive, seemed ok, flat spot between 2000-3000rpm, then it went well, thought it may just need to “learn” after having low fuel pressure issues so I went for a longer drive, but once I had the engine under a low load or no load condition, it went back to the same, low power below 2000rpm, unable to go above 2000rpm in 4-5-6th gear, slow to rev in lower gears, the same as before. NOT HAPPY.

Limped home and started looking again, checked fuel supply to filter, checked return to tank, pulled some of my hair out.

So after getting sick of looking at the fuel pump, I wandered around to the turbo side, to check plugs, hoses etc., had son hold on boost to feel for a split hot side pipe or joint, nothing.

Then, when standing there with the shits staring into the engine bay, I see it………………the F*#king linkage between the turbo variable vane control linkage and the stepper motor arm had come off, how I have no idea, as I had to unbolt the stepper motor to allow the linkage into the right spot to fit on, the arm was tight to get back on the ball, it would not just fall off or even pop off with moderate force from a screwdriver.

I am sure I had 2 issues, the fuel filter and the turbo arm, which was there first I don’t know, but it was doing my head in.

Took it for another drive, WOW, it goes, better than I can remember it ever going, had it breaking traction on dry corners without trying, it now pulls hard from 2000rpm, not 3000rpm.

Also a drop in fuel use, dash readout only at this point, but down from 8.9lph (been this FOREVER) on dash to 7.8lph for the same trip, same time, same speed etc., it is just going so well, makes me smile.

List of changes made to car so far.

Engine changes:

EGR block off (from new)
High flow cat (very high)
Air box restrictor removed (from air box to inner guard)
K&N air filter

Rest of car.
60mm lift Dobson suspension kit
265-70-17 Maxxis bighorn tyres
ARB Deluxe winch bar
13,000 lb. winch
HID spot lights

All in all has been a good thing, touch wood no issues too big, this last one had me screwed though, just made no sense at all.

Back