Looking for a previous D40 owner

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsrfp

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been getting around in an 06 ST-L Pathfinder the last few years and decided my next vehicle would be it's cousin, the D40.

I finally found what I was after at the auctions last week and picked up at a decent price a Storm Grey 2009 ST-X plated 10/09 63,000 km with factory canopy, snorkel, winch bar, warn winch, waeco fridge plug, bonnet & head light protectors. Spotties and UHF radio (I think) had been removed either by previous owner or someone dodgy at the auctions :)

As with most auction purchases there's always something you overlook or miss on inspection.

This time it was the spare key, there was none. Not a big deal, but a ridiculous $400 for a replacement.

Anyway I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know someone working for a government department in Melbourne that may be the previous owner of this vehicle?

Thanks

try those shoe places in town centres they do replacement keys for commodores and other makes. would be cheaper.

try those shoe places in town centres they do replacement keys for commodores and other makes. would be cheaper.

Thanks mate, will give it a go tomorrow.

I see you can buy them on ebay.com.uk for around $30AU delivered. Then you need to have the dealer code it.

Anyone been down this track?

You can buy the blank off ebay for about $15, then you can buy the remote for about $50 put the two together and take it to Nissan to get reprogrammed. It's still going to cost a few bucks because they are mongrels but I believe until someone figures out if there is a reprogram procedure with the key in the ignition that's about your cheapest option. A lock smith (key cutter) will only be able to cut the blank for you not program the key unless he knows Nissan's "secret code"

And welcome to the forums

The old fruit had to get a new key for his bommoddore recently. Went to the dealer who wanted a stupid amount to recode. The parts guy at the dealer was a good bloke and said " go to the local key bloke, he can do it" So he went there and the guy just stuck the key in the ignition for x number of seconds with ignition turned on i think, and shazam! it was done. Seems a blank key will program itself. Holden wanted over $100 to do that. Pricks. Dont know if Nissan is the same but it's worth a try i guess. The secret code may be bulldust to enable a dealer income stream for doing nothing.

Some Nissan's as reported on many other forums have a sequence which programs a blank key but as yet none of the forums I've read have proof that such a system works for the Nav/Frontiers. It seems stupid that they do it for some models and not others but unless someone can come up with the sequence then we are reliant on Nissan to do atleast the programming bit. Personally I hope it isn't that easy because of the potential for DIY programming is a major flaw in security but who know with Nissan.

I don't see why a good lock smith won't know how to do it ... i have had two keys for a commodore and a Piranah car alarm as i know a mate that had his Xtrail done at a lock smith here in down town Gawler ... the only think i can think of is that maybe the D40 is different...

That's the point I was making, the sequence if it exists is different to the X-trail, therefore the jury is still out on whether the sequence exists and no one is sharing or whether it doesn't and Nissan chose to protect our safety a little bit. If locksmiths knew it I'd reckon it would be on the net by now just like the X-trail and so many other sequence are.

Been down this path. And the following worked for me - cheapest way I could wangle it:

1. Bought key/remote blank from ebay uk (as you said) Perfect key.
2. Went to Nissan stealer to get Key Code (must show ID). They said they could get it cut - so I asked where they get it cut. They gave me their locksmith address, so went their myself and paid around $20 (Nissan wanted $50 for cut)
3. Took the car and key back to Nissan for the day so they could 'code' the key - no way around this one (the US forums tell you to jump up and down ten times, sit on your head, then wee on your wheel - I did this, many times, but did nothing - except make my brakes smell a bit :/ ). Cost around $50.

All done and dusted - cost around $100 - much cheaper than the $350 Nissan quoted!

Thanks guys,

Ended up getting a key and remote from ebay.uk for around $20 delivered and took it to the locksmith and had it cut for $10.

Had the car in at Nissan recently having some warranty issues looked at and mentioned that my spare key wasn't working so they replaced it under warranty.

So around $30 in total. When I rang them about coding the remote a week earlier they said it would be $115.

A little dodgy I know. But having been stuffed around by Nissan and their dealers over the last few years, I couldn't care less.

Thanks again.

Nice work. It's not like they couldn't prove that it's an after market key so you either have a good dealer willing to help or the dumbest pricks around who don't check things well enough to know it was after market. Even so under warranty means they claim it back from Nissan Australia and it costs them nothing so they probably don't care.

I haven't got a direct link but try international listings they used to be from the UK.

Latest posts

Back