Monster Rides ReKon Suspension for Navara D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how have these kits been going in the test vehicles? Have there been any issues?

Please post some flex pics, I want to see the extra advantages this kit offers with its offroad ability.

Just about due for a lift in my truck so doing my homework.

I want to retain on road drivability and comfort, be able to handle steel bar, winch, alloy tray with jack off tool boxes, handle the weight of the camper trailer, then when unload be able to gain as much flex off road as possible.
Don't want much do I...lol

Hey Jason,

No issues that we know of... the kits work as designed and the customers all seem very happy.

I have no new flex shots... I'll try to track some down for you from the guys running the kits.

You seem to want exactly what a good suspension system should offer... not just a lift kit.

In terms of what you want for the rear the Sax leafs are the only leaf which I know off that will be able to handle the weight of the jack off camper while then offering great flex and a comfortable ride when unloaded.

Cheers,
Matt

Is there any progress on Upper Control Arms?
pics and prices would be great.:shooter:

Sorry Mate... no photos until they are finished and ready to roll out the door.

Pricing won't be cheap... probably around the $1200 mark.
They will have all the features you could want though.

If you guys are in a hurry for UCA's I couldn't honestly tell you when we will have these done so you might want to look at other options if you need them sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
Matt

The rear sax will flex just like any other springs its just that they can handle both heavy loads yet flex like a soft ratted spring.
As for any front strut there is two things that need to changed before any one of them will get any real flex.

1) the upper control arms. My UCA is a mm off the coil bucket on full drop and thats with only a 2" lift, so adding more lift without the UCA being changed is not much use IMO.

2) you really need to remove or disconnect the MASSIVE sway bar the D40 have to get the front to really have any hope of any sort of real flex. The sway bars entire job is to keep the front level, so as long as its connected just about every D40 will flex the same in the front which lets face it is very little.

So i dont think Monster are to keen for any flex shots until they have there UCA and sway bar disconnects available and fitted to a Nav because it will only show what i was saying with no difference between any other front end.

New D40 UCA's

If anyone is interested, I saw yesterday that there are new UCA's available for D40's from Fulcrum Suspension. They look the goods and are slightly shorter to improve the camber on lifted vehicles. They are going to be about $800 which wil include the bushes already fitted. A little hexy but will definately allow for more droop.

D40 UCA's

Yes, I believe that's a pair. I forgot to mention that they have adjustable castor too.

The rear sax will flex just like any other springs its just that they can handle both heavy loads yet flex like a soft ratted spring.
As for any front strut there is two things that need to changed before any one of them will get any real flex.

1) the upper control arms. My UCA is a mm off the coil bucket on full drop and thats with only a 2" lift, so adding more lift without the UCA being changed is not much use IMO.

2) you really need to remove or disconnect the MASSIVE sway bar the D40 have to get the front to really have any hope of any sort of real flex. The sway bars entire job is to keep the front level, so as long as its connected just about every D40 will flex the same in the front which lets face it is very little.

So i dont think Monster are to keen for any flex shots until they have there UCA and sway bar disconnects available and fitted to a Nav because it will only show what i was saying with no difference between any other front end.

We don't have any flex shots because we don't have any flex shots!

Nothing to hide here... I'll try to grab some and put them up shortly.

The Swaybar isn't a huge issue, it has it's limitations, but it plays it's part in a stable IFS and disconnects aren't in our immediate R&D plans.

UCA's are the big thing in terms of set up on the D40, we are currently testing our final design that is a bit different to what we first planned. The design limitations of the D40 mean running a uniball is not a good option due to the thickness of the cup it sits in and clearance on the coil and coil bucket... so we are going to run a ball joint to keep costs and thickness to a minimum.

Cheers
Matt

We don't have any flex shots because we don't have any flex shots!

Nothing to hide here... I'll try to grab some and put them up shortly.

The Swaybar isn't a huge issue, it has it's limitations, but it plays it's part in a stable IFS and disconnects aren't in our immediate R&D plans.

UCA's are the big thing in terms of set up on the D40, we are currently testing our final design that is a bit different to what we first planned. The design limitations of the D40 mean running a uniball is not a good option due to the thickness of the cup it sits in and clearance on the coil and coil bucket... so we are going to run a ball joint to keep costs and thickness to a minimum.

Cheers
Matt

Get any ifs and disconnect the sway bar and tell me it doesnt affect the flex.
You are on the Hilux.net forum look at the guys pics that have taken them off and see how much difference it makes and if it didnt make any or very little difference then why is it that people run disconnects?? is it because they like to unclip them and then have to clip them back up?????? i dont think so....... Its because it makes a big difference when you are off the black top.

I still say if you guys had better flex then any one else on the market you would have pics and be bragging about it, after all that would help sell your stuff, wouldn't it??
The fact is until you do the UCA any pics will show that the flex obtained from MR gear is exactly the same as any other, maybe with less down travel if your adjustable struts have been wound up to 3" or more. You cant tell me that will sell your gear better, people will look and say, Why spend the extra if im not going to gain travel,

Get any ifs and disconnect the sway bar and tell me it doesnt affect the flex.
You are on the Hilux.net forum look at the guys pics that have taken them off and see how much difference it makes and if it didnt make any or very little difference then why is it that people run disconnects?? is it because they like to unclip them and then have to clip them back up?????? i dont think so....... Its because it makes a big difference when you are off the black top.

I still say if you guys had better flex then any one else on the market you would have pics and be bragging about it, after all that would help sell your stuff, wouldn't it??
The fact is until you do the UCA any pics will show that the flex obtained from MR gear is exactly the same as any other, maybe with less down travel if your adjustable struts have been wound up to 3" or more. You cant tell me that will sell your gear better, people will look and say, Why spend the extra if im not going to gain travel,

Nathan,

Fair play Mate... you have some firm opinions and thats fair enough.

From our end we are in the business of developing quality IFS systems for trucks that have maximum travel, good ride quality and quality components... we try to think outside the box a little.
We aren't just on here to make a quick buck from people and bullshit about things that we haven't developed properly yet.
As far as "bragging" about what we have... well maybe, but it's not really our style. We let the products do the talking and our business has grown form word of mouth and the feedback on forums like this.
There is no-where to hide in internet forum land... too many clever blokes like yourself who will spot the BS and mile away and call a spade a spade.

We take our time with our R&D and this means that we don't get our products to market as fast as others... but this isn't a big concern to us.

If we were all that worried about instant sales I would have finished our website months ago... and as guys who have bought form us will tell you return emails quicker and all that important sales stuff.

Until we have this Navara kit 100% sorted we will continue to work at it and post up developments as they come to hand.
As we have worked on it we have thought of different ways to do things and trialled a few of them with success, and failure as well.
It's all aprt of the fun of R&D.

We have developed a height adjustable front coilover that is good for 4" of lift and 3" of down travel, but it needs a UCA to make that happen.
In the meantime guys can buy the Stage 1 kit and get the benefits of up to a 3" lift and then add the UCA later (or buy anyone of the other companies UCA's available now) and use the extra lift if required.

As far as I know no one else in the local market offers a height adjustable coilover for the D40? It means you can have 50mm, 51mm, 55mm, 60mm, 75mm etc of lift... exactly the amount you wish to dial in.
And as the coil sags you can nip the lift up a touch to maintain your ride height. Other "static" lifts of 40mm or 50mm don't offer this so your lift will sag and you don't have a lot of options to solve it other then replacing the coil, or spacing the coil seats... both require the removal and re-working of the coilover. Expensive and time consuming.

Downtravel has not been compromised by the height, as our coilover doesn't top out on full droop. Notice how it's threaded all the way to the bottom of the strut, it doesn't even leave room for a sticker or branding!

There is more to buying a kit than travel, but that said it is very important on a IFS set up.

The D40 offers some specific design constraints and design challenges, but we think we have a pretty solid 4" kit pretty much sorted, but might be able to get some more out of it with a few extra tweaks for those blokes after more lift... all in good time and with plenty of testing still to come.

Everyone who has bought this kit of us so far is really happy with the flex and performance of the kit, as are we.

I honestly have no flex or droop photos other than those shown so far, as soon as I get some I'll post them up for you.

As an open forum it is great to get everyones opinion and throw ideas around.
I will agree to disagree with you on the points you raise on Swaybars and flex...
Again with all due respect I don't know your background, qualifications or expertise... but I can assure you that the team of guys at MR are really clever and astute suspension experts and as we have shown with the Hilux kit can deliver suspension kits that deliver lift, wheel travel, ride quality and performance not before seen in IFS vehicles.

We need a little more time to get this kit sorted then by all means critique it and pick it to pieces.
I'm pretty confident we will offer something new, unique and that will stand up to any comparison.

There is no bullshit with us, we offer a money back guarantee to anyone not happy with the kit... as well as a 2 year unlimited kilometer warranty on all the rest of our gear.

Time will tell Mate if we have something worthwhile to offer all you D40 guys, so far so good and I'm pumped to release the UCA's and get the most out of these trucks.

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:
Nice reply Matt

I have purachased gear off matt before for my lux and he knows his shit. Like he said he isn't here to bullshit anyone. These guys are honest and fair dudes. When producing kits they don't happen in 5 minutes, I'd rather them spend the extra time and know that the gear has been tried and tested before it hits the shelfs.

Keep up the good work boys!

I have had my monster rides gear on for over two weeks now an while mine is set at its lowest setting, it would sit the same height of the tallest strut lifts that other reptutable companies sell, the truck looks tuff, handles like it should all in all happy with my purchase.
Not hear to bang on but to provide a real world test, mate and myself both own spanish built D40's his a 2007 STX (bullbar bash plates winch) mine 2012 ST (HD Coils Bullbar), both standard UCA his has a fairly well known "2 inch" lift kit in and mine has MR front coilovers and rear shocks with standard leaves. Took them out for a small bash on the weekend now on two exits to creek crossings i drove straight out where it took him one or two goes, Now i know it could many variables i.e. age of rear diff, tyres, rear springs, driver and speed, and many people will argue this fact but both myself and my mate put it down to the front wanting to comply with changes in the surface, as when watching his when it hit the exit on the same angle as mine the front wanted to stay level and let the back do all the work, where in mine it felt as it came out more level instead of leaning over on one front wheel and digging a hole. just my opinnion might be right might be wrong and i really don't care if i am either, not promoting MR gear but i am more then happy with it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Nice reply Matt

I have purachased gear off matt before for my lux and he knows his shit. Like he said he isn't here to bullshit anyone. These guys are honest and fair dudes. When producing kits they don't happen in 5 minutes, I'd rather them spend the extra time and know that the gear has been tried and tested before it hits the shelfs.

Keep up the good work boys!

Hey Nick... Thanks Mate.

How is that bad boy monster D40 of yours going?

Turning heads?

How do you find the Mud Grapplers?

Cheers
Matt

Latest posts

Back