National Navara Muster?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few Google searches, some fun playing with Google Street Maps, a bit of typing ... we haven't done much really.

We're hoping to add a day to our Christmas trip this year, spending it at the site I initially proposed at Dubbo. We'll see how the rest of the trip pans out - I have scheduled a fairly tight run and if nothing goes wrong we'll be fine, but I can't be certain that Mr Murphy isn't going to raise his ugly head. If all goes well, I'll have exact GPS coordinates, pictures, maybe even some movie footage of the place.

I really think though that we need a place almost dedicated to the muster. If we get 5 vehicles showing up then it wouldn't be an issue staying almost anywhere, but if we get 20 Navaras with all sorts of camping equipment, we may not find enough room in a small reserve (that may have other people in it too) or even in a caravan park.

The Deni Ute Muster appears to have taken place on private land. There are several things about that event that I've just discovered (have never been) that perhaps we should consider for our event. There is a difference - the DUM attracts THOUSANDS of utes (10,152 utes at the 2010 muster). I don't think we need to go to that extreme just yet, but we should keep in our minds that we may get DOZENS to start with and may end up with HUNDREDS later if we can make it exciting enough.

For my money, I'm going to do everything I can do to be at the inaugural event (the wife has already said we're going, so there it be).

Okay, those other things we need to consider:

1) Emergency Vehicle/Helicopter access
2) Sponsor/Trade exhibits
3) Kids Activities (jumping castle, water activities, pat the feral goats)
4) Over 18 Kid Activities? Like a mechanical bull or something?
5) Getting sponsors? Nissan, ARB/TJM, Tooheys, Coca Cola, Carlton United etc?
6) Talk to a local ice cream vendor (like a Mr Whippy) and see if they want to pop a van nearby?
7) Entertainment - live? Bands can be expensive but may be covered by sponsors.

We also need to narrow down the kind of competitions we want to see, so that awards/trophies/banners/certificates can be produced in advance.

Still plenty to discuss. As I said, I'm not sold on the camping reserve idea. Anyone know anyone with a big flat paddock that could be used for this?

I think you guys are getting a bit carried away. It's hard enough to get more than 3 members to go for a drive 1hour out of Melbourne, never mind 100+ you would need to drive to Dubbo for a successful Muster.

I'm in. for sure. Dubbo would be best.

Couple of suggestions, this site has a few talented and resourceful people. Maybe set up a website, so non navara forum memebers can find it and get onboard, links back to forum of course... when location and date is locked in.

Prizes are a great idea, a few more. Best Dressed, Best set-up, most useless upgrade/addition, best upgrade/addition

Another idea would be to put your forum name on your windscreen as to help find those people we have chatted with and never met.

Has this idea become a poll yet? if not why not?

I am happy to assist in any planning. A suggestion might be to contact the council and see if permits are required for such an event or to secure the location (reservation)

Will be keeping a Keen eye on this thread

I think you guys are getting a bit carried away. It's hard enough to get more than 3 members to go for a drive 1hour out of Melbourne, never mind 100+ you would need to drive to Dubbo for a successful Muster.

You are right, in a rather disappointing way!

Nevertheless, being an event scheduled far enough in advance so that everyone can plan around it, we might have more success.

Particularly if we can add things like entertainment, prizes, certificates, sponsors etc.

All states/territories have varying school term dates BUT the weekend of Saturday Oct 1, Sunday Oct 2 is free for everyone. The Monday following (Oct 3) is also free, and in NSW is a gazetted public holiday.

Sounds like a good weekend................ unfortunately that would rule me out - I'll be in Sydney for the NSW Rhodesian Ridgeback show - goes over 2 days.

Nevermind - I am one. If the muster is on any other weekend I will be there.

Originally Posted by Old.Tony
All states/territories have varying school term dates BUT the weekend of Saturday Oct 1, Sunday Oct 2 is free for everyone. The Monday following (Oct 3) is also free, and in NSW is a gazetted public holiday

Isn't that AFL grand final weekend? I think with GC17 in the GF has been moved a week later.

The NRL and AFL are around there yes, and there's some V8 activity too.

Personally, I'm open to suggestions. Wanna make it August instead? Fine by me. It's gotta be a time to suit the most people.

Like I said I don't give a shit when its on just let me know andw are there.Make sure its not raining like it hasbeen or none ofus will get there.IT WIll be a national diasater and have to take floaties.lol

i dont mind when its going to be on ... if its in the later half of 2011, we all have plenty of time to prepare for it and plan our holidays with boss's and such.

dont worry though - my KFO (the boss) has already said we can go ...

G'day all. Haven't been on here for a while, so haven't seen this thread, but the whole concept sounds great. Dubbo's not a bad spot: it has a reputation for being home to ferals, but I've never had any dramas in the 3 or 4 times I've stayed there on the way to the Sunshine/Gold coast.

Just a comment on travel times. I've driven Ballarat to Coonabarabran in exactly 12 hours, and Dubbo is about 2 hours south, so it would take roughly 10 hours: this is via Maldon, Bendigo, Elmore, Shepp, Finley and then up the Newell. I drove to Mildura recently and took 5 hours on the indicated limits on the way up and at $1.15 on the way back, it took 4.5 hours (saw around 20 cars between outskirts on Mildura and Avoca - about 380kms.

The Dubbo zoo is a great way to spend an arvo for those taking families, and it has some reasonable motels for those not keen on camping, particularly on the south side.

Keeping the event clear from footy finals, car races and Deni is a good idea.

I'll try to put a decent calendar together of all the major sporting events that might conflict. We can then choose from the remainder, after I try to provide some idea of expected day/night temps for the "free" days.

National Muster

Have stayed at Terramungamine several times when heading north.
Camps Aust Wide 4 No' 831
The area can hold about a dozen caravans plus there is plenty of room for tents on the sometimes grassy areas.
Last time there, there was no water apart from a tank at the toilets.
The river is a fair way down a steep bank - not suitable for kids I dont think.
Did not see anywhere where you could/would launch a boat.
Wouldn't count on catching any fish there anyway.
Around October would suit us as we should be returning from FNQ about then.
May to September can be extremely cold in Dubbo!!

Jeff.

My mate lives out there and is a local copper, there is only one road open at the moment to get into Dubbo so he was telling me.

Narromine is safer then Dubbo.

Dave.

OK Dave

After two posts mentioning it, you have me on the hook... having lived in Dubbo for several years please explain what you mean by Narromine being Safer than dubbo.

BH

Narromine has 2 caravan parks, one doesn't allow dogs, both have plenty of facilities. I'll investigate the town over the next day or two and see if there's a suitable place.

Latest posts

Back