Old diesel fuel.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navarian

Reaction score
I have a jerry can full of diesel in the shed that was bought just before Anzac weekend last year,around 8 months old.
Will the fuel still be ok or should i get rid of it?

Last edited:
If it's been well sealed it will be ok, we've used diesel older than that. Mind you if it hasn't been sealed you could be in for a problem, just ask my old man who used stale diesel in the tractor yesterday.

The jerry seals pefectly,but i will lay it on its side for a couple of hours to be sure.

How cold has it gotten in the period between?

Cold encourages the diesel to form wax crystals, which can clog the filter in a hurry.

Might be better used as a degreaser?

Your a bloody concreter!
Cover your tools, equipment or apprentices in it! Onsite of course and be rid of it elsewhere.

How cold has it gotten in the period between?

Cold encourages the diesel to form wax crystals, which can clog the filter in a hurry.

Might be better used as a degreaser?

summer fuel can wax in very cold weather but 20 l in a full tank in melbourne this time of year wont be a issue. And if worried about condensation just leave the dregs in the bottom of your jerry can

summer fuel can wax in very cold weather but 20 l in a full tank in melbourne this time of year wont be a issue. And if worried about condensation just leave the dregs in the bottom of your jerry can

True, but he'd had it in the can since last April, and although the winter between then and now was fairly mild, I wouldn't be taking the risk with it.

True, but he'd had it in the can since last April, and although the winter between then and now was fairly mild, I wouldn't be taking the risk with it.

It doesn't permanently wax up, once it heats up again it's alright.

Maybe so, but with the cost of parts I'm not sure I'd risk it. Throw away $30 so I don't have to replace $250 (aftermarket) injectors, a $230 fuel filter and a $4,000 fuel pump.

It'd be degreaser for me and I'd think of it as insurance.

its not that old, i reckon go for it. i'd use it. if your worried about water or bugs in it i'd suggest you start running 'fuel doctors' in it when you refill, That stuff is great, and really only costs about a cent a litre. Cheapest place to get it is at truck spares place, a lot of truck/bus companies use it.

Personal choice but we fueled a tank in the paddock last summer still a couple a thousand liters left, been there all winter i know were not throwing that out. Last years new tractor was 180 odd thousand wouldn,t hesitate to fuel up. Every farmer holds fuel wether its 2 months or 10

Every farmer holds fuel wether its 2 months or 10

I agree with that, next door neighbour used to have a Mobil tanker fill his 10,000 litres once in a blue moon and the fuel at the bottom of the tank was never an issue winter or summer. If it's looked after it will be fine, if your still worried taste it, if you taste wax heat it up and taste it again, never know you might get a taste for it and drink it instead of burning it.

Just trying to help out. Unleaded doesn't taste very good but diesel has a different set of additives it might be like moonshine or it could be the health drink of 2011.....remember folks you heard it here first on nav.asia

I remember seeing a mates dad syphon fuel out of there old camry for there thirsty R50 Pathfinder years ago out bush.

It knocked him for 6 as the saying goes.

Ill take your word for it Krafty.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother did it one day siphoning fuel out of the Effy for the lawn mower, I'm sure his face turned three different shades of purple before it all came back out, but that was Leaded fuel and we all know that leaded fuel was the killer of the 80's and had to be replaced with unleaded.

It was part of our lives for so long Dave it's hard not to miss. We took the thing into the bush to get fire wood, the beach to fish, into town for the beer run, it did everything and it was only the 100 series (the neighbours old man had the 4WD 250). That ute used to only be a blur on all the APM tracks around here and next door was the sport of bloke who always left the keys in it so if we wanted or needed the thing it was there for us. I did more k's in that ute than I did in my first car.

The old neighbour currently has a 2005 model 250 but we rarely see him these days because our paths just don't cross like the used to.

Latest posts

Back