Possible D22 buy? Opinions!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleNavara

Reaction score
Last edited:
Hey mate welcome I have the d40 but I like the d22's and haven't heard of any major dramas with them.. The boys that have the d22's can guide you better but nice choice picking a navara!

Hey thanks 4byfour Look foward to reading more about it.

Looking at your reply my original post doesn't appear to be there anymore?

The D22 is a solid, basic and capable ute and offroad vehicle. It's not as comfortable as a D40 nor does it have as much cabin space but stock vs stock the D22 has better clearance and better approach and departure angles than the D40.

I bought a D22 because I wanted a new ute and I had a certain budget to spend and I've been pretty happy with my D22.

Sometimes I wish it had a bit more space but honestly in the 2 and a half years I've had it I don't reckon I've had people in the rear seat more than a few times so for me it's not been a huge issue. And yeah the ride is a bit stiff.

But at the price they were selling the D22 and the other 4x4 dual cabs utes when I was buying the only new alternative was a Great Wall and that was NOT happening.

These days I reckon I'd be tempted by the $31,999 deals for the base model D40 or Triton but back then the difference was more like 6 thousand, not 2 thousand.

Still... solid and reliable ute that's served me well and I won't be getting rid of mine any time soon.

Thank's for your input. I'm looking at this d22 sunday because he seems to be flexible with the price and honestly my budget is 20 thousand which is alot of money for an 18 year old to spend! So I'm looking for it to last me!

for $22k the KM traveled are pretty high, maybe $19500 would be closer to what its worth, people get this illusion that all these mods make their cars worth more when in actuality it makes them worth far less by limiting the market significantly especially if you ever go to trade it in the car yards just want a stock one. Like I payed $22500 for a mint condition 06 from a car yard last year with only 60000km on it.

things to check I guess most are obvious but here is my list anyway.
-service history, how frequent are the oil changes ect
-listen to the engine, a slight clatter is normal but any loud clunks are not
-check all the seals like rear main for oil leaks
-check the coolant for milkiness or oil
-check how high up the clutch pedal travel is before it grabs (mines about halfway with 71000km on it)
-check very carefully around the chassis and body for rust
-check for obvious signs of repaired panel damage
-put it in 4wd and check the transfer chain isn't rooted and that it all works as it should (you'll need to lock the hubs to do this though)
-listen for any banging from the front of the car, could be body mounts which is a common problem or worse.
-have a look under the carpets for rust on the body or signs its a flood car.

probably forgot some but good luck with it.

Last edited:
thats up to you what you think its worth, depends how long he has been trying to sell it.

if I had my time over I'd also consider a hilux with 1KZ-te as well, see if you can drive a D22 with YD25 motor as well, has slightly less torque from idle but has more go then a ZD30 and is better on fuel.

Looks fairly good, zd30 in the navara is a good proven motor, should be ok for alot more ks.

G'day mate,

22k for a seven year old car with 140 kms seems a bit expensive, considering they are around 30k brand new now.

If you do go for an older zd30, my advice would be to immediately change the turbo and or fit an inter cooler, as there is some history of them failing which could cost you a 10k repair.

G'day mate,

22k for a seven year old car with 140 kms seems a bit expensive, considering they are around 30k brand new now.

If you do go for an older zd30, my advice would be to immediately change the turbo and or fit an inter cooler, as there is some history of them failing which could cost you a 10k repair.

thing that ive seen ppl arguing about over the last yr.
is wat he sed "22k for a seven year old car with 140 kms seems a bit expensive, considering they are around 30k brand new now."

the zd30's hold there value more than the new ones.
1. when the zd30s came out they were like 40grand brand new. thanx to nissan and them bringing out the d40s the d22s r now there 30gr and new plus some arnt jap built like the older ones.
so basicaly i have seen the new 2.5 d22s go for the same price as the older zd30s but its old coz of the fact of there depesiation.

2. i think the older zd30s r a much beta engine.

it pritty much gose the same for any other make of car.
hilux is the same there older shape is holding there value beta than new
triton r the same!!

as for checking the turbo. maybe if u can take it back to ur own house and pull and unbolt the turbo intake. will only take 10min.
pull the intake off and grab hold of the turbo wheels and see if u can wiggle it. it should be pritty tight also. also see if there is any big scratchs in the housing where the wheel can touch the housing.
ask them if it has turbo timer or if they have ask if the let the car cool town after long runs. (i guess the can tell u anything but u be the judge if u think there lieing)

I sold my old 04 str with 105k km for $22k and that was back in early 2010, so imo that is over priced. I would think more like 18-19k. I would go for yd25 motor, seems the more reliable engine, plus you get the 6 speed, which the zd30 desperately needs.

I've seen a 2009 2.5 d22 str go for $21000 with 110,000kms. $22000 seems abit steep if you can buy a brand new one for 28k.

not 6 speed with the yd25 nav, unless ive been missing somthing hahhaha

but yes aim for a yd25 around 22k, if not 18-19 for a 3ltr.....

yd25 has been a brilliant engine for me never a single problem......

I bought my 2008 D22 for $16,750 earlier this year, it has 150k on it but its in great condition. Was a tray back and i converted it back to a tub (i think it was originally a tub) for $450 (2012 tub) love the car dont regret buying it at all.

Latest posts

Back