Queens Birthday 2011

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frying Pan is flatter, and with the cold there shouldn't be so many motorbikes. Coachwood can be seen from Frying Pan - it's immediately across the river from it, so it's not protected from the noise (if there will be any).

Coachwood is also not very level, so if anything, Frying Pan Creek would be the place to go. We'll cross the ford near Telegherry and if that's closed, will continue on to Frying Pan Creek.

Can't get there until Friday evening though - I have work on.

You can find firewood in the area. It's a working NSW Forestry area, and there are areas where unsuitable trees that are felled to make way for new growth are dumped. We take a chainsaw in there (and an axe and blocksplitter) and we can have as much firewood as we like. I don't know where these dumps are, as they've moved where they're logging from, so I'll be bringing my own firewood - but I might toss the Stihl in the back anyway just in case.

Don't bother trying to cut the firewood with a bow saw. The wood's like iron.

Lol, BTDT with wood from Barrington Tops area. I actually purchased my first bow saw to do that. In those days, you could get Australian made blades that did the job well. Unfortunately, replacement blades these days are for OS woods and the old bow saw doesn't have the tensioning ability, plus my arms are getting piss poor.

I telephoned the DPI enquiry line this morning. As far as she knew they had not been advised of any access problems, but watch for black ice warnings in the area. Also suggested 4WD(not listed on info page).

I mentioned the BOM four days of showers/rain forecast and she said the only problem might be if the water came up to cover the weir(road crossing). She did say she had been there camping at both campsites(FP & coachwood).

BOM website forecasts possible showers with temps down to 3C, so up at Telegherry/Frying Pan it's going to get down towards zero. Black ice will be something to watch for, hopefully the gates at Telegherry aren't closed because that's a deeper, more sheltered valley.

If Telegherry IS closed, the best place to camp (considering solar energy and drying time) is on the north-west side of Frying Pan, pretty much INSIDE the loop in the middle of this map. You get clear sunlight from about 9am through to mid afternoon there. On the east side (closer to the river) you're in shade most of the day and the dew just never dries.

Latest posts

Back