Recall - D40 Navara & R51 Pathfinder Hood Latch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going by the VIN's listed above my mid 09 is not effected by this recall either so as Ants says check the numbers if you are at all concerned. Even if your numbers are within the range effected Nissan are supposedly going to send out info when they are ready but that doesn't mean you have to wait that long before you talk to Nissan.

Hey Krafty,

I checked out my bonnet catch and particularly the loop on the bonnet itself - pretty substantial looking piece of kit. I'd be interested to check out one of the affected items to see if we could pick the difference to the "affected" ones.

Mainly, the loop on the bonnet appears to have no way to fail without tearing a lot of panel work away from the bonnet.

Anyway, as I said - if anyone around the Canberra area (Hey Paul - is yours one of the affected ones???) is in the VIN range, maybe we should see if we can work out what the differences are and post some pics of the differences for people to see.

Going from memory there is a number of us with D40's ranging from early 09 to late 09 so we should be able to get some idea of whether the VIN's are related to the 09 models, or even which areas of 09.

I know in the PC industry (and probably electronics industry in general) all registered PCB manufacturers code their boards in a certain way so that they can be traced back to the creator in the advent that a board turns up with no other markings. For all the PC related products I sell I can trace the boards back to manufacturer, the use for boards and in most cases the date it was made for boards up to 20 years old which is very handy when pulling a card out of a second hand machine and not knowing what it's there for or what drivers it needs. Don't know if there is any one out there that can decipher VIN's or infact if VIN's are coded in such a way but if they are then maybe they could tell people what the date range is from those numbers listed.

my 07 Nav starts with VSKCVND40, so if the VIN lettering is chronological then i'm hazarding a guess at 05-06? if it isn't then i don't know.

The VIN's listed on the recalls site aren't exactly right. The recall probably effects that range as well but my mid 09 build doesn't fall in the range listed and I got my recall letter today.

There is s few more words on the page they send you but basically it describes the same thing as the recalls website does. They state that it's due to the installation of heavy front end protection like steel bull bars and accessories such as winches just like the the website does. There is no mention of cars without bullbars or winches being excluded but from their point of view it's probably better to take 30 seconds to look at a car and decide it needs no work than hoping someone hasn't fitted something after market that they don't know about.

My useless local dealer will either say he's heard nothing about any recalls (as he's done with previous recalls on Nissan's) or like other minor recalls he has known about he'll diagnose it over the phone but I'll see what he says tomorrow when I ring. Either way I'm sure he'll once again remind me why I choose to travel 100ks to deal with someone else rather than him when it comes to buying new cars.

I received my recall today aswel Stomper and im located north suburbs of Perth mines an 06 RX i am pretty sure it's Spanish built, will try get some pics up tomorrow for everyone.

Don't know if there is any one out there that can decipher VIN's or infact if VIN's are coded in such a way but if they are then maybe they could tell people what the date range is from those numbers listed.

VIN identification is like the DNA of the vehicle.
Manufacturers use letters & numerals differently though.
Vin's tell you the all about the vehicle.. country, assembly plant, engine, trans, options, colour , months,years,etc.
But youll need the factory coding/legend to decipher the VIN...
try google.

try these for example..

http://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/common/nissan_vin.htm

http://www.decodethis.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
A description is in the manual, here is the D22 VIN breakdown.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 68
VIN identification is like the DNA of the vehicle.
Manufacturers use letters & numerals differently though.
Vin's tell you the all about the vehicle.. country, assembly plant, engine, trans, options, colour , months,years,etc.
But youll need the factory coding/legend to decipher the VIN...
try google.

Actually, that's not quite true - which is why there is a separate plate on the vehicle which describes the trim, fabric and colour combinations for example. That one is inside the front right hand door jam.

According to the agreed specification for VIN, manufacturers only have 5 characters to describe vehicle attributes (chars 4 thru 8).

I don't know where on a D40 the engine, transmission and differential specifications are described. On older vehicles, lots of us would remember engine and transmission codes being displayed on a plate in the engine bay...

For those who are interested, VIN is made up of the following:

World Manufacturer Identifier, Vehicle Attributes, Check Digit, Model Year, Plant Code, Sequential Number

Ok not perfectly true, maybe for nissan,
sorry i was generalising .
Not all manufacturers are like Nissan.

There are others that provide such info in the VIN id plate, such as,

VIN,
Model code,
Engine code,
Trans code,
RR AX,
FT. AX,
SIDO No,
Trim,
Paint, BRK,
GVM kg,
GCM
&
Built....

All on one plate......FORD Aust..

Got my recall notice today, goes in on Friday so I'll take some before and after pics

Ok not perfectly true, maybe for nissan,
sorry i was generalising .
Not all manufacturers are like Nissan.

There are others that provide such info in the VIN id plate, such as,

VIN,
Model code,
Engine code,
Trans code,
RR AX,
FT. AX,
SIDO No,
Trim,
Paint, BRK,
GVM kg,
GCM
&
Built....

All on one plate......FORD Aust..

It's crazy isn't it - no consistency across the motoring world on something that is supposed to be consistent!

Damn auto companies...

They seem to be suggesting the problem could lay within the hoop and not so much the latch but they are also not suggesting that the bonnet is going to fly off if the worst happens, so it will be interesting too see what fixes they have.

Has anyone who's been in with their recall actually had any work done, I only know a few of people that were told their vehicle is ok and needs no work. Which also begs the question does a vehicle that doesn't fit the criteria today because it has no bullbar or winch need the work done to future proof it in case they get installed down the track by the current owner or a future owner.

Latest posts

Back