RustyNavs Tourer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok so the minister of finance and the postman have been good to me. recieved 3 of 3 packages today from 3 different companies. bloody good sellers on ebay only took 2 days to get here. anyways here is what i got.

5x Carling Rocker Switches with Red Light
1x Carling Rocker Switch with Fridge Emblem and Markings
1x 6M length of 6mm wire to run all the switches and plugs on
IMAG0388.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

Then i had just enough time before the rain pelted down to get a tubliner coat on the battery box.
IMAG0377.jpg

the black gun down the bottom left is the Shutz Gun which is needed to create that speckle/orange peel effect.

Next on the order list is 100ah battery, 6b&s twin core wire, fuse box, cig socket, merit socket and anderson plugs. probably any easy $400 to spend to get it to a completed stage.

Rusty

IMAG0383.jpg

ok so over the last 2days i have oredered the following. SSB 100AH Deep Cycle AGM, Fuse Block, Fuse kit, circuit breaker, 6bs terminals. also my cig sockets and merit plug and socket are at an auto store waiting for collection. 95% of parts. only thing now is the 6b&s wire which i may be able to score from work. ill find out tomoz.

just gotta wait fro everything to arrive and then itll be install time. unfortunately wont be in for the weekend at janowen but i dont ahve anything to run off it anyway.

Rusty

things are getting exciting. itll be the first thing ive completely customed myself. WOOT WOOT

looking good mate
interesting tub layout
ime interested in seeing some pics of bashplates,mine are still on backorder from ironman
any hints re fitting/moding them would be good too
cheers
sparra

Last edited:
Ok so I got a random call from the wifes work today about some scrap alloy sheet I wanted in a size of 400x200 off cut. My wife is a sales manager so what she says goes lol. The call was from there CNC Router operator and he asked a bunch of questions and told me to draw up a design and he will get it machined up out of 4mm alloy sheet. So third takes so worry out of me trying to cut switch holes into alloy sheet when it gets done by a computer and machine. Should look shit hot when its done. Tomorrow is a day of laying out my switches and plugs. Should be fun

RustyNav

Looks like great work there rusty.

oh and sparra, the ironman bashplates are a piece of piss to install. Only time consuming bit is making it marry the bullbar,

Postman turned up today with my battery and bits from abr sidewinder. Now just the waiting game for the 6b&s cable to run from front to back. Gonna be sweet

Also had some time to remove the bash plates and straighten them out also reinstall the front plate for easy removal. Thanks to rays bashplate install which I had the chance to look over on Saturday.

Pictures to come

Rusty

Sounds good mate. The plates weren't to beaten after the weekend?

Mate the middle plate copped a flogging. Got a decent dint right at thhe join between middle plate and front plate. Nothing a sledge hammer didn't fix.

Pictures to come of its new fixing point

alright so a quick update on the bashplates that have been isntalled for a while. the usual fitting is to bend the front lip of the front plate to slide under the bullbar brackets and then slide it back to secure it into the middle plate. after seeing Rays install which was done by Ironman themselves it was a brilliant idea. instead of sliding the plate under the bracket why not fix it to the bullbar support bracket, Rays was tapped and bolted but i drilled right through and used a nut on the other side. worked a treat.

IMAG0402.jpg

IMAG0401.jpg

IMAG0406.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

they nuts i used are the original bracket from the ironman kit but cut the bend off. EASY DONE and easier removal

alright so Battery Box Install Day is Saturday. Lots of holes to be drilled and wire to be run but should be in ready for its debut run on the saturday of the 4wd show woot woot.

here is the Switch plate without and with the switches and plugs installed. thanks to the wife and her team at Apple Aluminium Archerfield for knocking it together for me. also made out of 3mm aluminium sheet for extra strength

Without Switches
IMAG0412.jpg

With switches
IMAG0415.jpg

alright what a flippin day installing this battery box. got a battle scar and shit it hurt and still hurts. thats another story i will tell at the end.

so this is the gear
IMG_3451.jpg

alot of it is self explanatory if not ask me about it an i shall fill you in. assorted bits like 6b&s cable, 6mmcable, fittings, switches, fuses, battery box etc etc.

first things first. get the switch plate into the box. i recesed it as the plate had pretty sharp edges from being cut on the CNC Router at the wifes work. came up mint
IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg

now before getting the box into position we ran the wire. i used 6B&S Twin Core with extra Sheath to add extra protection. we ran it from the front down beside the powersteering dropped it passed the steering arm and followed the brakelines and stuff to the chassis. then dropped it INTO the chassis and ran it out the back to a hole just below the last cab mount near the leaf spring mounting point(pictures will show)
IMG_3456.jpg

then ran it passed the fuel filler into the body cavity
IMG_3457.jpg

than fed it through the plastic grommet in the side of the tub
IMG_3458.jpg

i drilled 22m hole in the plastic grommet. then put 16mm corrugated split tubing over the wire and it firt perfectly. plus added a lil but of SikaFlex 227 automotive grade and it sealedd it up mint.

after that the boxxes got fixed together and fitted to the tub to rest in there final location to never be moved again. used 4 M6 S/S 50mm long bolts through the floor which should be plenty strong enough to hold it all. used the sikaflex 227 and sealed up any holes again. also drilled another 22mm hole in the back of the box to feed the cable into the wheelarceh box then into the battery box.

IMG_3465.jpg

the battery in location
IMG_3468.jpg

oh i forgot THE BATTERY - SSB 100AH AGM Deep Cycle. can double as starter but will not be used for it.
IMG_3454.jpg

now its wiring time. i left the front isolator, wiring and fuse till last. even though the wiring may be a lil out of whack as the switch diagram didnt explain alot it will be fixed soon. this is a semi mock up but i havemt put fuses in until its finished(ran out of time).

IMG_3471.jpg

IMG_3472.jpg

now because of the super limited room under the hood of our lovely D22s. i opted to get myself a right angle bracket from bunnings and custom it to fit the isolator to. it works and its pretty darn solid. it also worked in my favor as its exactly in the run of the wires i ran earlier.

IMG_3473.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

these pictures dont show it finished, but i will get some oup of a finished product. so far im 100% happy everything works just need some more time and a better detailed drawing of the switches and it'll be all done.

Rusty

now before getting the box into position we ran the wire. i used 6B&S Twin Core with extra Sheath to add extra protection. we ran it from the front down beside the powersteering dropped it passed the steering arm and followed the brakelines and stuff to the chassis. then dropped it INTO the chassis and ran it out the back to a hole just below the last cab mount near the leaf spring mounting point(pictures will show)
IMG_3456.jpg

then ran it passed the fuel filler into the body cavity
IMG_3457.jpg

than fed it through the plastic grommet in the side of the tub
IMG_3458.jpg

i drilled 22m hole in the plastic grommet. then put 16mm corrugated split tubing over the wire and it firt perfectly. plus added a lil but of SikaFlex 227 automotive grade and it sealedd it up mint.

Good job on the wiring Rusty. That's exactly how i've run my cable, until i get a new smaller AGM and move it up under the bonnet.

Ok so quick update. Got the switches wired up and the switches have a permanent night light and then a light at the top that lights up when you turn it on. Had to piggy back a few of the negative wires and positive wires but it works. I'm yet to plug something that is gonna draw a heap of amps. I will run my brothers engel fridge from hot to cold and see if I can get it to draw a high amps tomoz afternoon.

Blacknav - its the only place to run it where it Wong get destroyed from tree bits flicking up etc. I was gonna run it on top of chassis in conduit but I ran it inside instead.

Rusty

Latest posts

Back