Show the temp in your dash

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i wanna work them out, might be something we get that the dual cabs dont, be a first anyway.
What about fitting a boost guage to the kingcab do u know where to plumb that into?

The boost gauge is going to need to be somewhere between the turbo and the intake manifold. There might already be a take-off with a line and perhaps even a sensor wired into the ECU (because the ECU may already know what the boost pressure is, so it can better control the engine).

If you don't have an intercooler, I'd guess those plugs on either side are for sensors relating to that. Otherwise, they might be fog light connectors if they're sitting a bit lower.

The temp gauge sender sits low in the front. Look for the horizontal brace across the front of the radiator, it's right on that, just to the left of the vehicle's centre line. It has a white 4-pin female plug inside the black shroud, the four pins in a single line spanning about 12mm.

i wanna work them out, might be something we get that the dual cabs dont, be a first anyway.
What about fitting a boost guage to the kingcab do u know where to plumb that into?

I think a boost guage is a waste of time, just a wank really. scanguages are far more useful.

some people think that, but i want to fit a bost guage and a exhaust temp guage, enough to tell me how the thing is running.

boost gauge

the scan:no:gauge has a boost reading you can get the codes to set it of their website

From memory I think the boost is part of the X-Gauge settings which are only available on the ScangaugeII. Not sure how many people here have the original Scangauge but I don't believe it's available for those models.

Did anyone work out if this modification can be made to the Thai build vehicles (i.e the new ST) ?

Cheers ... Gregg.

Great stuff Old Tony, It seems so easy that not even i could F*#k it up "touch wood"
atm its not high on my priorities list when it comes to modifying my Nav, but next cashy i do at work might help it jump to the top of my list.

Just on the speedo topic, my Titanium comes out with factory 17'' wheels and my speedo is still out by about 8-9 kph, didn't know it was a common problem until signing up to this forum.

Did anyone work out if this modification can be made to the Thai build vehicles (i.e the new ST) ?

Cheers ... Gregg.

The wiring loom might be missing, the way to find out is to look around the centre riser in front of the radiator and see if there's a socket waiting for attention. Take a look at my post in this thread (link is here) at the pictures, that's where the STX one is and should be where they all go - in the coolest part of the incoming air stream.

Great stuff Old Tony, It seems so easy that not even i could F*#k it up "touch wood"
atm its not high on my priorities list when it comes to modifying my Nav, but next cashy i do at work might help it jump to the top of my list.

Just on the speedo topic, my Titanium comes out with factory 17'' wheels and my speedo is still out by about 8-9 kph, didn't know it was a common problem until signing up to this forum.

Glad the pics could help! It's really easy, once you've done it you'll go "I coulda done it blindfolded with both me legs tied and a woman in leather standing ..." wait, wrong forum.

As for the speedo error - there's no point trying to fix it. The box from Jaycar may end up stuffing your odometer reading, because it'll change the rate of impulses sent from the gearbox to make your speedo read correctly, but if your car is like mine, the odometer will be accurate, it is only the speedo needle that is inaccurate.

For that, I'll use my GPS.

Find one of those 5km odometer test regions and check your odometer out there to be sure. If you can (and since you have two trip meters!), stop just before the sign, go to the spare trip meter (press the trip meter button rapidly just once, the dash will change from A to B or B to A. Press and HOLD the trip button to reset it at the start. Drive and stop just as far from the 5km sign and see how far you've gone.

Can't be easier. :)

Cheers ... Gregg.

If the loom isn't there (as per Tony's instructions to find it near the radiator) the link to the US forums earlier in this post shows you the work you need to undertake to get the loom in there. It terminates somewhere around the left hand passenger foot well and can be taken from there with factory fitted looms or home made ones I believe.

As a side note to these over priced Nissan capsules with a $3 thermister in them we've managed to get a Falcon sensor to work in the Nav but it's about 10 degrees out. Not sure how much Ford charge for their piece of plastic as the newly broken one was replaced under warranty but we've got a details and once I get some spare time I'm going to start chasing up some o/s suppliers and see how close they can get to matching what is in Nissan. Failing that there is a mob in the US that was selling them before Chrissie for about $40AU plus postage

It'd cost me $8 to find out which of the thermistors from Jaycar worked the closest (they have 8 different ones, and they're $0.95 each). That, plus about 20 minutes work pulling the fuse out to reset the dash and see what happens when it comes on again.

Alternatively, I could measure the thermistor that I've got installed now, if I knew how to do that.

Jaycar ones are not compatible, one because their temp ranges are not correct therefore will read out and two because they are generally NTC not PTC from places like Jaycar.

Actually it might be the other way, they sell PTC and not NTC, I can't remember which one it is off the top of my head, but the temp ranges bit is right, most thermisters generally operate from 25 or there abouts and Nissan spec says 18 which makes the ones from Jaycar usable but not accurate

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, the Jaycar ones I have listed here are all NTC. Anyone got a current Farnell catalog?

It's online but from memory their PTC's didn't match either. The temp ranges, + or - values and the resistance is available in either this thread or the US thread referred to at the start somewhere. I've got a heap of stuff on the other pc but right now that pc is doing it's impersonation of an expensive paper weight so until I give it a heart transplant I can't get my figures either.

Farnell are like everyone else in Aus and a large number of overseas suppliers the biggest issue with their thermistors is the nominal temp.

The manual shows pretty much what is needed electronically and it's something like a nominal 20 degrees and a resistance of about 22k (you have to do a little maths after reading the manual to get these figures). Most NTC and PTC thermistors have a nominal temp of 25 degrees now if that difference of 5 degrees meant something as simple as the gauge was out by 5 degrees it would be bearable for a 95c part compared to the Nissan part but it's not quite that easy.

Given all thermistor manufacturers that come up in the first half dozen pages of a Google search don't sell nominal 20 degree thermistors and it would be unlikely Nissan would actually make their own it's a matter of finding out who their supplier is, there can't be only one manufacturer in the world making these things.

From pics I've seen of other Nissan models it appears that any model with such features all use the same item although each model obviously has it's own part number and price so it's fair to assume that other manufacturers would do the same. While Ford didn't work accurately in my Nav it did work, however that doesn't mean a Subaru one wont and if I still had my Forrestor I would have tried it but I believe buying genuine from any manufacturer will always come at a cost so the idea of finding the right thermistor is still more appealing. Well to me it is but then I'm in no huge rush for a temp gauge and I've got better things to spend $100 on rather than giving it to Nissan for a 95c part in a $2 plastic box.

I went to a local electronics shop here in NZ and showed the guy the info out of the workshop manual regarding the temp range and he walked to his shelf and picked up a $2.50 thermistor which had a 25deg nominal temp but when you followed the range graph for it the one he had was almost identical at 20deg 22k. Anyway I put it in and during summer it has been pretty much bang on and within 1 deg +/- at the most of being out.
Be interesting to see how it goes in winter once things are colder.

Not sure how cold it gets in your area but that is quite interesting that at 25 works with such accuracy over the summer months.

What sort of temp ranges were you seeing on the gauge?

Any idea if it was NTC or PTC or even a part number/brand name or something?

Back