snow trip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant2290

Reaction score
hey guys, im planing on driving down to the perisher next month for a few days, staying in jindabyne and going to give snowboarding a crack. iv never been to the snow so i was wondering what advice people can give.
thanks

You'll need to wear something a bit more substantial than shorts & double pluggers - or were you looking for something different?

Take warm clothes! Did you pick up some snow chains? I bought 2 sets from Aldi for $50 per set.

I'm looking forward to some snow on Polblue. It's getting cold enough, but with the high pressure system south of the two lows off the coast right now, I'm not sure it'll get cold enough to do much up there.

Still, I'll call the NPWS ranger and see what he says tomorrow.

hey guys, im planing on driving down to the perisher next month for a few days, staying in jindabyne and going to give snowboarding a crack. iv never been to the snow so i was wondering what advice people can give.
thanks

My sister, Aunty and Cousins live in Jindy and i have been going there since i was like 3, i also worked down there for five seasons from 18-22yrs old 3 of which working is the ski school at perisher.

My tips are-

take good quality gear, you can hire really good quality stuff now days, BUT you will need to buy your own gloves and goggles. dont skimp to much on gloves as you will always have your hands in the snow all day for two reasons, CRASHING and undoing + doing up your binding from taking your rear foot out at the top and bottom of EVERY lift.

Do your self and your body a favour and grab a Lesson or two, they are really worth the two hrs out of your day and you will be boarding better and pick it up faster from doing it. They are also included in a "First Timer Lift Lesson " ticket
Really mate that is the best thing you can do it just saves SOOO much Farkin around.

Chains are not required by law with a 4X4 and if it really bad you can catch the "Skitube" which you can drive too with out the need for chains as it rarely snows at that height.

As for the car make sure your radiator has the CORRECT amount of ANTIFREEZE in it or you can do some serious damage.

Fuel up in Cooma or closer as they sell ALPINE DEISEL which has an additive in it to stop your fuel from freezing and if you do drive up the mountain on bad weather days you WILL need it. I have seen fuel lines split from NOT having the correct fuel.

Have fun

Last edited:
+1 for the lessons...! Thermals are the key. That and layers- you can always strip them off if you get hot. And Stretch before hand. Sounds stupid but if you do 5-10 mins of calves and had stretches and the like it will save you a heap of pain at the end of a day!
Iv been boarding for years and am fit and I still stretch and walk away fine at the end of the day. And if its shit snow or weather- alcohol is the ideal fix or fill in thing.
Have fun.

hey thanx guys, iv heard that u need to put it in 4high when driving on slippery conditions ect is this true and would i also need to lock the hubs in?? im just alil u sure thats all

I thought Thredbo was closest to Jindy??
I would also suggest if you have time for sight seeing take th road either from Jindy over the mountain to Tumbaruma via Khancoban, or depending where you coming from from Hume Hwy to Tumba over to jindy there is plenty of great scenes along the way and things to do like the Tumut 2 power station tour (rather interesting). very windey Rd was great on the sports bike, plenty to see and do in Tumbarumba (plus an abundance of 4x4ing around also).

hey thanx guys, iv heard that u need to put it in 4high when driving on slippery conditions ect is this true and would i also need to lock the hubs in?? im just alil u sure thats all

mate you will only need to put it in 4x4 if the NPWS are telling people to put chains on.

They will only do that if there has been a big night of snow or rain, and you will hear announcements on the local radio every 15min telling you where or which chain bays are in use.

IF they are telling you that chain bays are open then yes use H4 (high range) and to make it work you will need to lock the hubs.
On the days that that is needed i lock the hubs ONLY down in Jindabyne to save me having to pull over in the chaos of the chain bay, instead you can just slip it into H4 and cruise up.

When you drive in slippery icy conditions try not to brake heavily instead light little pumps of the peddle to gage how much traction you have are best, that way if you do start to slide you are already coming off the brake as apposed to committing to one heavy braking situation, and avoid using the gear box for engine breaking instead go up a gear, this will stop the rear sliding out and you not being able to stop it.

Can i suggest again to use the train/ "SKITUBE" if it is bad weather and they are saying chains are required
(which remember 4x4 are not required to use them, you can if you want and they should be fitted to the front wheels and have the hubs locked and in H4)

My sister, Aunty and Cousins live in Jindy and i have been going there since i was like 3, i also worked down there for five seasons from 18-22yrs old 3 of which working is the ski school at perisher.

My tips are-

take good quality gear, you can hire really good quality stuff now days, BUT you will need to buy your own gloves and goggles. dont skimp to much on gloves as you will always have your hands in the snow all day for two reasons, CRASHING and undoing + doing up your binding from taking your rear foot out at the top and bottom of EVERY lift.

Do your self and your body a favour and grab a Lesson or two, they are really worth the two hrs out of your day and you will be boarding better and pick it up faster from doing it. They are also included in a "First Timer Lift Lesson " ticket
Really mate that is the best thing you can do it just saves SOOO much Farkin around.

Chains are not required by law with a 4X4 and if it really bad you can catch the "Skitube" which you can drive too with out the need for chains as it rarely snows at that height.

As for the car make sure your radiator has the CORRECT amount of ANTIFREEZE in it or you can do some serious damage.

Fuel up in Cooma or closer as they sell ALPINE DEISEL which has an additive in it to stop your fuel from freezing and if you do drive up the mountain on bad weather days you WILL need it. I have seen fuel lines split from NOT having the correct fuel.

Have fun

This^
Thermals are a must,especially during a lesson as you will spend a bit of time not moving while you get taught the skills.

My quiver

Enjoy,your first turns in knee deep fresh snow will change your life forever.

This^
Thermals are a must,especially during a lesson as you will spend a bit of time not moving while you get taught the skills.

My quiver

Enjoy,your first turns in knee deep fresh snow will change your life forever.

How do you find the Splitboards mate, you must go out back a bit then or are they for OS
My mate was riding one when we set out to hike Mt Yotei in feb, but ended up pulling the pin because the weather closed in allot worse then expected, so we didnt really get the low down on what he thought of it.

Living in Jindabyne and working in Perisher I agree with all that is said. if it has been snowy or icy then hose your car off underneath when you get home. The snow clearing crew use tonnes of salt on the road each winter and it just wrecks cars.
A lot of locals use the Skitube for the reason that there is much less salt used on that section of road.
Have fun and take a lesson!

How do you find the Splitboards mate, you must go out back a bit then or are they for OS
My mate was riding one when we set out to hike Mt Yotei in feb, but ended up pulling the pin because the weather closed in allot worse then expected, so we didnt really get the low down on what he thought of it.

Great for touring and getting away from the resorts,faster than snow shoes
and once you get the hang of transitions(going from skis-board-back to skis)
it's very easy.
Ride wise very little difference to a solid board.I took it up about five years ago and only do one or two resort days a season now.

It's becoming more popular now and alot of the big name brands have jumped on board so you get a good choice of shape now and the binding set ups are improving every year.

I just do day trips from where ever i am at the time.
I'll be attending this event(went last year and it was a blast) so if your interested you should come along.
http://www.splitfest.com.au/index.html
I'll be camping at Island bend.

Latest posts

Back