st-r vs st-x

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZAGMAN

Reaction score
looking at buy one of these 4wd just thought i would ask peoples opions on these two good points and bad points

Firstly, welcome to the forum, secondly do a search. You are going to open up old wounds if you try to start a new d40 vs d22 thread. These are 2 completely different beasts, and depending on who replies, you will get a different answer. I have an STX and think its better than an STR, but someone who ones the other will say the same thing about their ute.

There is no shortage of information on here, so use the search function and all of your questions will be answered.

You are going to open up old wounds if you try to start a new d40 vs d22 thread. These are 2 completely different beasts

Nah.. D40 vs D22 threads are fun... I say go for it :deadhorse2:

Morticus is right they are very different vehicles, me I don't have a problem with either of them.

My personal take on the matter (and that's all it is) is that the D22 is more capable off road stock as a rock off the dealer floor but a stock D40 is more comfortable, has better rear set space and drives better on road.

Modified is a whole different kettle of fish and I'm not going there :)

I've owned both - ST-R and now ST-X 550.
The D22 was probably more fun to drive being a manual with no "electronic fun police" to spoil the party. But, the D40 is definitely more comfortable and the power speaks for itself. It's really a matter of what you intend to use it for. I tow a van and have a wife and kids, so power and comfort are a priority for me.
That's my 2 bobs worth.

my missus and i have always been a fan of d22's but back seat room was minimal and we have two kids, the extra power, safety, comfort and equipment made it a no brainer for us, we're really happy with the d40.

Yeah i was set on a D22 as well, but lack of room for a baby seat put is in a D40. I paid the same price for the D40 as i would have got a brand new D22.

I looked at the D22 first but didnt like the driving position, being 6'2 and having the steering wheel practicaly between your legs was a turn off and lack of space for the 6 yr old in the back

No going back now though hey? Dont think id consider a D22 after owning the D40. So much more comfy and a heap more power.

I went D40 purely because I'm a lazy bastard and after 20 years in trucks I was going auto no matter what people think of them.

If 22's had come with an auto option I'd have brought a brand new one of those and spent the other $25K on a boat.

Bla bla bla D40 bla....

'22 all the way for this bloke....

If i had to get a bigger dual cab ute it would be a Ranger, otherwise a patrol.

G,day mate,

Firstly, welcome to the forum and good luck with your research. Secondly, i agree with Morticus, you will open up old wounds if you try to start a new D40 vs D22 thread. (fark it do it) Both vehicle are totally different beasts, i know i have had the pleasure of owning both.

First i had a 2003 D22 STR with all the fruit and then i bought a 2006 Spanish built D40 STX with all the fruit, both were Mexicans (Manuals.)

Engines: stock standard, the D40 is more powerful.

Gearboxes: I preferred the D22 manual gearbox over the D40, i am old school and like the manual transfer-case lever operation opposed to the D40's electronic set-up. Furthermore, the clutch set-up on the D22 is a stronger set-up than the D40. However, if you do what i did, that is replace the D40's dual-mass flywheel clutch set-up and replace it with a solid direct clutch set-up from Brisbane, then you will have a pearler of clutch.

Cabin space: The room and comfort in the D40 farken shits over the D22. End of story!

Price: D22 shits over the D40, both new and second-hand. That said, the bottom line is, that it always comes down to what your budget is, and what goodies you want to fit to your vehicle!

This is only my opinion and my sometimes my opinion is usual jack-shit!

Regards,

RLI
:shotgun:

I've been driving an auto d40 for 3 days and feel like I have no control. I hate auto. For now...
Anyways

'22 all day. Spend extra cash on mods.

Back