the navross sas build in the making

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to see someone complete the Calmini SAS without using the 1980 - 85 Jeep Wagoneer diff. There must be a more modern alternative out there that is easier to obtain than this particular diff. I've tried almost every wrecker in Perth and no one has it. Even looking interstate I would doubt my chances. The only way I see around it is to import one from that States .

Checkout what askamit, a member on nissan trail riders forum did.
He flipped a patrol diff after grinding out the plug welds, does no one else agree this would be easiest?
Ive posted about it on here before, I think I called the thread polish solid axle swap.
The jeep diff is to rare now.

don't waste your time even looking for a dana diff! weak as piss in stock form and parts hard to get here. if you keep the navara transfer case get a custom patrol housing made (Jmw engineering do them for under $1000 I think) to suit the left drop and just put all the bits in.

Here is another problem with an SAS conversion, the TX10 T/Case becomes the weak link and with chains at $850 and 2 days on the tools it becomes an expensive item to replace.

Here is another problem with an SAS conversion, the TX10 T/Case becomes the weak link and with chains at $850 and 2 days on the tools it becomes an expensive item to replace.

true but i don't think its really that bad.
there is the option of using one of the patrol transfer cases if you like.

no matter what, 4x4ing is going to cost money, your going to break something eventually.

This is true, the stronger you build your rig, the harder the track you decide to take

true but i don't think its really that bad.
there is the option of using one of the patrol transfer cases if you like.

no matter what, 4x4ing is going to cost money, your going to break something eventually.

thats what i mean by the time you start swapping all the running gear over to Patrol gear you may as well just swap the body onto a patrol rolling chassis and be done with it, and have everything fit properly on a better chassis to begin with.

IMO it just seems like a far more simple process.

everything is a compromise... just have to choose which ones you make. easily get the front end to work better then a patrol if u sas it.

OP are you using patrol diff? If yes we done some research about rb30 gbox and transcase should work

don't waste your time even looking for a dana diff! weak as piss in stock form and parts hard to get here. if you keep the navara transfer case get a custom patrol housing made (Jmw engineering do them for under $1000 I think) to suit the left drop and just put all the bits in.

Mate I think you have your info wrong, the dana 44 would only be marginally weaker than a patrol diff in standard form, parts can be easily accessed from the states shipped to your door within 4 days. But they can be build to whatever strength you desire. You have to remember that navaras produce pissweak amount of torque. A dana 30 can handle 35" tyres on a wrangler 4.0 that in low range produces a lot more torque than a navara. And think of all that ground clearance you lose from the patrol diff. If your only running 33"-35" tyres a dana is a better choice. I agree the dana 44 is hard to come by but a dana 30 isn't.

I'm just going off what I've seen on the tracks. The patrol diff will take a lot more in stock form then any Dana under a d60. I'd rather run a stock gu diff and know I can get parts anywhere in aus then throw cash at a d30 or 44

I'm just going off what I've seen on the tracks. The patrol diff will take a lot more in stock form then any Dana under a d60. I'd rather run a stock gu diff and know I can get parts anywhere in aus then throw cash at a d30 or 44

Hence when we are doing our own R&D we followed this advise from your thread in 4wdaction forum back earlier this year

the D40's have dana rubbish under them don't waste your time, I cant wait to get rid of mine especially the front diff patrol all the way, fair enough you can get parts from the states but the cost is almost double because of the freight charge, I was going to get a titan m205 front diff but it was gunna cost 1200 bucks to freight it here, my 2 cents worth

ohh woah had a busy week guys didn't even get near my computer till today i had no idea so many guys had posted here and im using a gq diff that i have flipped with a 4.3 ratio so it matches my stock rear diff.... im willing to take a punt on the stock transfer case for now its on of those things where ill cross that bridge when i come to it... imo jeep stuff is junk too much goes wrong with them and parts here are over priced.

iv already flipped the diff and done a few other things ill keep posting up here as often as i can but im trying to play match up wanna get the full story of my navs life up here...

so i kinda skipped a part before i drowned it i was having issues with the 31s so i cracked the shits and ordered a 2 inch body lift and got myself some 33x12.5 federal muddies

made the world of difference off road all tho i went too big in the offset now my car gets too dirty

so yeah then i flooded it and made the airbox and the snorkel

more updates to come including bracing and modding ifs stuff before i get to the sas stuff but here's a pic of the gq diff just to keep you guys interested

but this is a old as pic its already been flipped ;)

how did you go about getting both ends of the diff alligned properly after the flip.

Looking good mate. I've started my chassis swap now. I have the Nav body sitting on the floor now. Doing the body mounts this week. I got the conversion kit on Friday too. Hopefully I'll have it back together in a couple of weeks

Back