trip for SE Qlders

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah it falls quick... down to just 12cm now :D even a toyota would get through... i'll be there see you in boonah

ok i have a little handheld one.. might get a proper one next year someday.

yeah it falls quick... down to just 12cm now

Al Where is that reading from?

Out of interest(the bosses old stamping grounds) I went chasing Condamine Readings and came up with this, which is between the second and third crossing of the Condamine.

River Height data for Condamine R at Brosnans Barn *

Unfortunately, neither of us have any background to relate it to the depth of water to be encountered at the second crossing, which seems to be the worst now as first has a ford. Even google stopped there.

I know the killarney policeman. i gave Les a call this afternoon. It came from him, reckon he should know?

+ 1 Peter. I'll still go out.

from the BOM forecasts....
Darling Downs and Granite Belt District
Sat - rain at times
Sunday - rain areas clearing

Nice and specific! But not solid rainfall at least.

Can also get river heights here:
Condamine, Balonne and Border Rivers Rainfall and River Conditions

Main Roads will only shut a road down for as long as it takes to clear the mess up, then single lane and traffic control it until the rest is fixed. they don't like the bad feedback when they have to divert traffic a few hundred km's. Long term closures aren't usual. If a road is shut, then its for a good reason.

awesome, i'll be there with bells and whistles on (turbo whistles that is; i'm horrible at holding a tune)

UHF 20 it is, look for the big blue ute.

I know the killarney policeman. i gave Les a call this afternoon. It came from him, reckon he should know?

Yep, the next gauge downstream is at the bridge in Killarney and the reading makes sense.

Thanks.

Apparently the Carrs Lookout rainfall is automatically collected as well, but I couldn't find it online. If that could be found, it would almost definitely tell you if there had been rain over The Head.

Anyway, have a nice trip. It will be one of the trips we do when The Boss goes back home.

Ok well i'm out at Warwick today and i've just spoken to the killarney cop. They had good rain out that way today and its brought the gorge right up again. He reckons there is no way to safely do the gorge tomorrow. It'll take a few days to fall again, so you guys still want to do a meet and greet at boonah tomorrow, gotta be a few other drives around that area we can go for a cruise to. Have lunch or something after? I think 4wd parks like scenic rim would be closed with the rain also. i'm keen to just meet in boonah and just follow the popular vote. Would love to do the gorge next year when the rains slow!

Yep, I'll still be there. If the road is not closed at the gorge it might be worth trying to steal a look anyway. Can always still go to Queen Mary falls or hang around the Boonah area, I'm easy. I've got handheld UHF, so I'll keep it on 20.

Might as well still go out as I have set the day aside, see you guys in Boonah. Wouldn't mind heading up to Kilarney for lunch at the pub via queen mary falls which would be good to see with a heap of water. Then could take a peep at the first crossing of the george and decide which way we head home.

ok see you guys there as planned. replaced my front wheel bearings today so ready to rock!

It is going to be interesting at the crossings.

Finally found the online Carrs Lookout rainfall data.
24hr Rainfall Bulletin for Condamine, Balonne, Maranoa, Wallam, Mungallala

and it has had 16mm today. I think the reading from The Head is manual and only daily unfortunately as it seems more predictive of river heights.

Also been watching the tail kick up on this
River Height data for Condamine R at Brosnans Barn *

Will be interesting to see how high it goes.

If you are into water falls, as Well as Queen Mary's, there is also Dagg's Falls just off the road on the way down and right at the bottom (before the nursery?) is Brown's falls, but it involves a bit of walk in.

If you get stuck for things to do and like clouds, just past the border gate, turn left, then later on go right (gravel road up)and go over Acacia Plateau. Great views if no clouds around. Road comes back onto the Legume -Woodenbong Road just outside Legume. A short loop really.

Have fun and post pics.

cool, well i'll be thre, i'm very keen for the drive and the meet-and greet, just be kind for the injured vehicles (my rear springs are sagging like nothing else!)

all done, and i believe no hiccups for anyone which was good. quite a bit of fast flowing water though which made it a interesting day. thanks everyone i had a great time and will try my best to make it to future get togethers.

It was a good day, getting to meet everyone and check out things, especially Chartrocks (Pauls) drawers :cheers!:

Turn up at Boonah and 7 Navs (all D22's, quality group) left to go to Condamine Gorge. It did turn to disappointment as the main road going along the river route had a big ROAD CLOSED sign on it. Being the responsible group we are, we drove around that and went PFFFTTT! as we squirmed down the muddy road.

I did get nice and sideways at one stage just trying to go straight, I think Chartrock was looking to the right to see where the other track was I was trying to take. Normally I think most crossings are 6-12" deep, but they varied from 12" on entry to quickly be above the bottom of the doors, sort of fast flowing, but easily manageable. (There was some sideways action going on a couple of times in the middle of a few of the crossings though!) It was definatley a lot more water going through there than normal, for sure. 14 dunkings later, and after Gonzo (Steve) had towed a stranded Pajero out of the drink with wet electrics, we stopped at Killarney pub for lunch and a break. Most of us headed back through Queen Mary falls for the return trip, stopping for a look.

Was a great day, thanks to --

Chartrock and Elaine
Al
Gonzo and navigator
Our Bundaberg mate Ljacko and navigator (brother)?
Peter ST-R
Joshman and Tori
Us and our little munchkins.
Also good work Peter diving in to check the water depth a few times without being asked, well not diving literally but anyway.

Oh, and as we were driving home Alena said you have a spider on your neck. Only it wasn't a spider it was a useless bastard tick half buried in. Took a bit of fingernail work to get the useless piece of crap out too.:devil:

I'll get the photos and vids organised tonight and tomorrow.:cheers!:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back