winches

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting thread. I'll be looking to fit a winch soon. Does having a body lift change how a winch is installed? If so, what other modifications have to be done?

Cheers

I don't have a body lift, but it will dramatically change the mounting cradle. The stresses imparted on a winch mount are massive - particularly if any lateral load is applied.

Interesting thread. I'll be looking to fit a winch soon. Does having a body lift change how a winch is installed? If so, what other modifications have to be done?

Cheers

Whatever holds the winch (bullbar, seperate cradle etc) will mount to the chassis, so a body lift doesn't affect the way in which the winch is mounted.

Yeah, mine is mounted into the ARB commercial combo bull/winch bar & it hasn't impacted on the body lift at all

I probably should clarify.... Plenty of bars (like the ARB) have the winch cradle as an integral part of the bar mount.

For those who do a body lift, they often like to lift the bullbar to match the body lift - and that is where the problem strikes.

So while a bodylift in and of itself won't affect the winch mounting, any change to the bar mounting certainly CAN affect the winch mounting.

Understood- I've got a genuine bar. I always assumed the cradle would mount directly to the chassis and I would have to mod the bar to allow the cable/rope to run clear.

Other things you might like to consider are the current draw, feed rate/gearing and the length. Cases of horses for courses.

In one of the threads is a link to a magazine comparison on winches.

Hey guys,
been looking at these lately, I dont 4wd much just need something there for the piece of mind when i do go out.
http://outdoorsrus.com.au/oru-winches/
they come with 36month warranty and they have a shop around the corner from my place.
spec wise there pretty decent aswell.
Have a geeze and tell us what you think.
might pick up a 12000 this weekend

ok so i think i have narrowed it down to either a Runva or a VRS winch, just got to find them for the "right" price ( who wants to pay ticket price).

what are your thoughts?

bryan

I have a VRS 9500 synthetic rope winch and its been great. Think unpicked it up onsale from oposite lock for $800.... Only thing I have noticed is the control box fades pretty quick.

I have been using my Kingone/avenger winch with synthetic rope now for over two years and it has had a flogging (always pulling Hiluxs out of the crap lol) with out missing a beat.
I chose this for the price and also the comparo i read a few years back seemed pretty comprehensive and it won the overall test for price and reliability, current draw was almost identical to the WARN, and after being fully under water and still being used it took no water.(which i have since tested my self)

As for the cable v's rope i can honestly say i have done no maintenance to mine and it is still looking perfect and it has been used in all conditions.

Yes you do have to be carful with it on rocky ground, BUT if it does snap you can just tie a knot in it to get you out of the poo, try doing that with a cable
rope of the same diameter as cable is STRONGER.

you can buy a replacement rope for around $160 for 40meteres! most cables are max 30meters

cable is easily kinked and then becomes a nightmare too re-spool and also creates a weak spot

cable retains "memory" so when its not taught its a mess (hence how easy its kinked)

cable is allot harder to clamber up a slippery wet hills with ect when unspooling

i have seen cable fail at the "swage" that clamps it back onto itself at the hook end and with out a suitable crimping tool it becomes useless.

its bloody heavy, more then 10kgs heavier

like others have said about the wire splinters making thick leather gloves a MUST

rope floats

you only need a simple alloy block for a fairlead one thing less to have a problem with compared to the rollers

-----------------------------

cable wont melt, so if you live in a fire risk area that may be a factor ( towing a burning log off a track ect)

cable will handle chemicals allot better.

cable is needed with old winches which generate allot of heat through the braking drum system and REQUIRE cable due to the heat.

Last edited:
I got a black ridge from super cheap autos for under $500 with rope - spoke with auto electrician as he had about 4 on his work bench who said none of them at that stage in time where/are completely water proof and the problem is even if your not crossing rivers the water will still get in and when you go to use it the armature burns out !
I made up a bash plate with a support to take the winch that lives in the back of the ute in a box.. I will post a pick of it fitted one day but if you look in my photos you will see the mount I fabricated from 8mm steel and the bung that covers the hole in the bull bar... saved me from having to get a steel b/bar ,') it's a two for one- winch hitch and a very solid bash plate !

You've just gone and thrown a spanner in the works for me now. I was just about to go ahead and buy an ironman in the next day or so but these are looking very attractive and dam good price. The warranty would have to be one of the best around too. I've got a stockest just down the road too which is handy.

Post up how you go mate.

-Tyler

Hey guys i went through this process a few months back and its surprising how much u learn when u talk to so many people and yes there is bias and the rest but you have to relies that normally when u need the winch u are in the shit ! So if its the difference to getting home that arvo or in a day or 2 if someone finds you so think about it ! The vrs is a good unit a direct warn rip off using warn parts, the only issue i could find is there isn't a wireless remote for them which makes life so much easier and in a 9500lb in most winches the weight is only 8kg difference and if u want "set and forget" wire is defiantly the way to go after narrowing down to 5 winches and a budget of 800 i went with mean mother, all parts are readly available and they can be easily worked on and for $60 i think can get a wireless remote which i got hard wired with a isolator switch and put the receiver in the top of the dash above the speedo ( pull out the head deck and push it across into the big gap) so its high and dry and i can operate the winch inside the car without getting out or at a distance eg the car your pulling out 15 mtrs away. I would almost use mine fortnightly and cant fault it, so you have to make a list of what YOU want it to do and what options you want then choose the ones in your budget and then cross them off as u go. Try to talk to independent guys as well or company's that will sell many different ones like opposite lock because they wont push you on one winch they will help you choose.

Just to clear something up.......... WIRE is NO more "SET & FORGET" then ROPE is.
To say you MUST wash rope after EVERY USE i personally think is OVERKILL, And who is to say that washing the rope doesnt in fact help wash the grit further into the weave and therefor make the problem worse IF in fact it is a problem.( i havent had one i have not washed mine in over two years)
I have used mine in mud, muddy water, Sand, the lot and at most all you have to do is give it a hose, and even then im sure it doesnt make much difference.
The other thing winches dont like is being left and not given a run every now and then so if you do "set & forget" for too long you might find out the hard way when you do REALLY need the thing that its not working.
So there is nothing wrong with unspooling every now and then just to keep all the grease moving and have a listen to check its 100%, while you do that if YOU WANT you can give the rope a spray with the hose.
Once you have used both rope and cable you will most likely never go back to cable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back