Bash Plates

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this. Dropping off my car for service today there was a D40 with the fan through the radiator, it was caused by a water crossing.
Hitting the water too hard had caused the radiator to lift out of its mounting rubbers and get pushed back into the fan. Luckily the owner had the sense to turn off the engine and have it towed. No major damage other than the rad and fan.

IMO the underbody guards would probably prevent this from happening.

There is some conjecture as to what causes this.
One thought is that when the radiator becomes fully waterlogged a vacuum is created causing the fan to drive forward into the rad.
But if your right then yes a guard under the rad would deflect the force of the water from lifting the radiator.

Did you say you have a folder in your arsenal?

There is some conjecture as to what causes this.
One thought is that when the radiator becomes fully waterlogged a vacuum is created causing the fan to drive forward into the rad.
But if your right then yes a guard under the rad would deflect the force of the water from lifting the radiator.

Did you say you have a folder in your arsenal?

Yep, but only for 3mm ally 2mm steel. Mate in Seaford can bend 6mm ally, 3mm SS.
cutting and bending the plate is easy, mounting can be difficult ( sump guard that is)

That's not a bad price considering if i decide to replace my damaged sump it will cost me around 700 clams,
I was only going to replace it so Nissan dont ask questions on my next service and void my new car warranty because its been taken of and fixed.
Knowing Dealerships i bet if i went in the get my CD player fixed under warranty they would somehow blame my stereo problems on the fact i changed the sump myself.

Matt76 you say you can easily change your oil and do a complete service without taking of your TJM bash plate, if so that's exactly what I'll do and hope Nissan are none the wiser.:idea:

Just how hard are they to fit? take into account I'm all thumbs:big_smile:

We should make an appointment one weekend to measure up front quarter under body protection to suit the bullock dray. Have spent enough time on me back underneath the bugger I have found all the mount points and it is all 1 flat plane from the underside of the front crossmember / rad support to the gearbox crossmember. Besides the flimsy bit of sheet fitted to the Nissan bar has barely been tapped and yet it looks like Chuck Norris has given it a roundhouse!
Not sure that I would go for the fuel tank armour plating though as I have heard ( yes heard ) it causes some clearance issues :smile:

I was only going to replace it so Nissan dont ask questions on my next service and void my new car warranty because its been taken of and fixed.
Knowing Dealerships i bet if i went in the get my CD player fixed under warranty they would somehow blame my stereo problems on the fact i changed the sump myself.

Go see Melton Nissan - I filled my rear diff with water and they replaced the oil and spent an hour inspecting and did it for nothing doing so. No warranty claim and no history, they just did it for nothing because they hate Nissan Australia more than I do!

I have a TJM bashplate on my 2006 Navara and am wondering if it is the cause of excessive heat coming up into the transfer lever and gear stick lever rubber cover.
Any thoughts on this - has anyone experienced the rubber cover becoming hot when cruising on 80 or 90 kph ?

Extended

I have a TJM bashplate on my 2006 Navara and am wondering if it is the cause of excessive heat coming up into the transfer lever and gear stick lever rubber cover.
Any thoughts on this - has anyone experienced the rubber cover becoming hot when cruising on 80 or 90 kph ?

Extended

Absolutely. I was going to ask this question as a new thread. I have the t/fer case plate - I doubt that would cause it, but certainly the heat is there after a decent drive on the freeway - more so if towing the dog trailer. I haven't noticed when working off road in low range.

Yeah those nuts with handles are a pain...I tossed them and used nutserts instead - thinking ahead a bit in case I have to take this thing off a few times in the future.

Pete22,
I fitted my TJM bash plates at the weekend. WHERE DO YOU GET THE NUTINSERTS? I don't ever want to go through that again.
Cheers, Phil

Does anyone know if the know if the same Bash plates (front/sump and tranfercase) from TJM, TOSCA, Brown Davis etc can by used on the Thia built D40 Navara ST's?

I bought the TJM ones for my ST, the front one under the radiator fits fine, but you have to redrill the sump and transfer bash plate, the gearbox crossmember is slightly different. probably better off with one of the other brands, they may bolt straight on.

have a look at this mate, i brought the "Brown Davis" guards they great, and if you use the part numbers i have posted on this thread then they will bolt straight on , ( i have a 09 thai built st) you only have to drill 3 holes on the cross brase that they supply so you can bolt the front sump guard to it, but it is easy as the instuctions are easy to follow.

http://www.navara.asia/d40-body-chassis/4200-bash-plate-question.html

I called TJM yesterday and the can do a full custom 3mm thick front, sump to tranmission case for $595 fitted. Thougt this was not too bad considering the cheapest I have had qutoed for the Brown Davis from Mitchel Bros 4x4 was $625 deilvery to Brisbane, Tosca can do front & sump for $320 and the Avenger ones are a bit more expensive again at $405 for the front / sump and $280 for the transfer case guard.

have a look at this mate, i brought the "Brown Davis" guards they great, and if you use the part numbers i have posted on this thread then they will bolt straight on , ( i have a 09 thai built st) you only have to drill 3 holes on the cross brase that they supply so you can bolt the front sump guard to it, but it is easy as the instuctions are easy to follow.

http://www.navara.asia/d40-body-chassis/4200-bash-plate-question.html

Silvernavara,

Where did you end up getting your Brown Davis Plates from and if you don't mind me asking, how much did they cost?\

Cheers
Cam

yer mate, i got them from redlands 4wd centre on redland bay rd capalaba, and from memory i paid around $620 i prefered to buy local so if i had any dramas i could go back and speak to them direct!

Hi All,

I have been researching bash plates on here and loose on the net for an ST D40 (on order). I think that I want to protect from the bull bar back to behind the sump. I have seen several styles with two main characteristics..
1. Brown Davis or Avenger types which seem to have a seriously sharp angle (90 deg.) at the front which I am concermed will be detrimental.
2. Other types which are less of a sharp angle (maybe 40 deg.).

I think I prefer the ones with a more relaxed angle, I think this would be more likely to slide over rather than crash in to rocks etc..

I would like to know what you think..

I have found a local company that make a version for the Spanish build and have offered to have a look at my new ST when I get it with a view to prototyping a new design. Their pricing is less than half that of Brown Davis, but still made of 3mm steel, etch primed.

I am keen to pursue this but would like your thoughts as to the angle issue as theirs is of the lesser more gradual style.

Bash%20plates%20in%20situ%20for%20web.jpg

Cheers, db.

Last edited:
hi put on the brown davies bash plate it works a treat very strong and covers all the important parts purchased it off ebay from mitchell brothers 4x4

aka bd i have had no problems with the angle of the bash plate, the reason that the Brown Davis plate needs more of an angle because it covers more of the underneath, plus it is powder coated, i am really happly with my purchase.

DSC_1267-1.jpg

Back