blown turbo wanting to replace with forefront industries billet turbo.....opinions ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukegaudy

Reaction score
just blown my turbo on my 03 d22 str and cant really afford to replace with another genuine nissan turbo (seems they arent the best anyway) so am thinking about replacing with a fore front industries high billet turbo that are listed on ebay for 799$
can anybody please give me an opinion on them and has anybody fitted one on their car ?
thanks

its kind of a high pitch whining noise, particularly under boost. But a similar noise is made when a turbo pipe is leaking or the egr valve or pipe work is leaking.

Check your egr valve gaskets, commonly fail

Nothing wrong with the genuine turbos there center is similar or identical to many other turbo, people tend to say oh they leak oil, or they break/snap...
What the actual problem is that there poorly managed (hot shutdowns) and when paired with crankcase re-breather they get pitted from oil, loose balance and fatigue.
Hot shutdowns and compressor wheel pitting leads to imbalance and journal bearing wear, wear leads to excess shaft play, which damages compressor oil seals and can cause blades to rub the compressor housing and in the worst case scenario the shaft will snap. You have to remember they will spin 10000rpm boost dependent, so any minor issue is emphasized

when i say there nothing "wrong with the turbos" i should re-iterate, they are great for a stock boost turbo, but if you plan on modifying it then look at forefront as they have put ALOT of work into there turbo and compressor wheel design and the feedback is all positive!!!

cheers

Well I was worried for nothing. After I had a good look its a pipe coming from egr had got a hole in it. (Not the one going from egr to intake). But while on the topic of turbo, when have people's turbo let go on them?

100kkms for me. Wish I could justify replacing the d22 but haven't found a good reason or something suitable to replace it with so will be replacing the turbo again at 200k for insurance.

nah, nothing major. I dont think anything went through the motor as nothing had come off the turbo, just the turbo bearing had failed. this allowed oil to go into the motor from the turbo.

Well I was worried for nothing. After I had a good look its a pipe coming from egr had got a hole in it. (Not the one going from egr to intake). But while on the topic of turbo, when have people's turbo let go on them?

100kkms for me. Wish I could justify replacing the d22 but haven't found a good reason or something suitable to replace it with so will be replacing the turbo again at 200k for insurance.

My d22 had just over 370,000km on it and was stock as a rock and copped a flogging most of its life, BUT i changed the oil with out fail, and usually let it idle down for at least 30 sec before tuning it off.

No offence but changing the turbo every 100k just isnt needed, you could put an intercooler on it for insurance if you were worried, and you would get a LITTLE performance gain as well while spending less money then buying a new turbo or cartridge.

My d22 had just over 370,000km on it and was stock as a rock and copped a flogging most of its life, BUT i changed the oil with out fail, and usually let it idle down for at least 30 sec before tuning it off.

No offence but changing the turbo every 100k just isnt needed, you could put an intercooler on it for insurance if you were worried, and you would get a LITTLE performance gain as well while spending less money then buying a new turbo or cartridge.

I was looking at fore front industries last night as they have brought out a bolt on inter cooler kit, also put a turbo timer on mine last weekend.

I was looking at fore front industries last night as they have brought out a bolt on inter cooler kit, also put a turbo timer on mine last weekend.

every one is waiting on the intercooler hoping it comes soon i need one asap

I havent seen their intercooler kits, but there are a few companies doing them now, from memory they are all top mount kits but i know heaps of guys have made custom front mount set ups, there are some guys on here that used XR6 intercooler and got some hard pipes made up.

My turbo let go at 140000...No damage to the motor and I replaced with another Nissan one...I will be putting an intercooler on it as soon as FF has his ready for sale...

Cheers...Sparra

Don't know never done one, I don't think they are on sale yet but they are not to far off. Looking at those photos on that thread I would say its not hard. Comes with install instruction aswell

Latest posts

Back