Calmini UCA's illegal!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
285/75 16 and 305/70/16 are the same height, they aren't worried about 6mm over.
Oh ok thanks for the info. My apologies thought it would be 75's.

Be very interested to see how they don't scrub once you change your wheel offsets.

Bloody Dot. Why don't they pick on the morons running 6" lifts.

Oh ok thanks for the info. My apologies thought it would be 75's. Be very interested to see how they don't scrub once you change your wheel offsets. Bloody Dot. Why don't they pick on the morons running 6" lifts.

Well said Bazz!!!!!

It will be a shame for Big GUS to lose those arctic flares,they look absolutely Mickey Mouse...

All because of the 10 inch rims,making his track wider..

Cheers Geoff Go the V-6's

Last edited:
Oh ok thanks for the info. My apologies thought it would be 75's.

Be very interested to see how they don't scrub once you change your wheel offsets.

Bloody Dot. Why don't they pick on the morons running 6" lifts.

All good Bazz, I should be ok for clearance done a fair bit of work under the front but yeah will be interesting to see the difference, i will let you know, going from a 10 inch rim with -38 offset back to a 8 inch rim with -5 offset.

Any update on this?

Got the new wheels on ,no clearance problems just waiting on the flares to be reduced in size and fibreglassed and doing the bulbar this week,will post pics when all done.

Oh ok nice, I am considering running 285/75 on 16x8 +20 Steelies but at this stage leaning towards 265/75's.

On the bitumen do you prefer the bigger tyres?

Might be a stupid question but why are you changing your flares...... can you not leave them as is or does it look out of place with big flares and tyres tucked in?

doing a 2 inch lift on a d22 is illegal technically.... pretty much just driving your car down the road is illegal these days....

doing a 2 inch lift on a d22 is illegal technically.... pretty much just driving your car down the road is illegal these days....
How so? According to state laws up to 75mm lift increase doesn't require modplate. 50mm suspension lift and 50mm tyre diameter combination.

yea the 75mm lift thing is more of a generalisation. the statement that gets you is "at least two thirds of the original suspension travel in either direction is maintained"

it is pretty much impossible to achieve that with any ifs truck. you always end up with more like one third of the original travel because the upper control arm ends up a lot closer to the bump stop than standard. which is the exact reason people get new uca's....except the fun police say they are illegal as well.

Oh ok nice, I am considering running 285/75 on 16x8 +20 Steelies but at this stage leaning towards 265/75's.

On the bitumen do you prefer the bigger tyres?

Might be a stupid question but why are you changing your flares...... can you not leave them as is or does it look out of place with big flares and tyres tucked in?

I find the 305's sit nice on and off road and yes it does look stupid with the big flares and 8 inch rims but it will turn out ok.

I find the 305's sit nice on and off road and yes it does look stupid with the big flares and 8 inch rims but it will turn out ok.

Now Brian
they never looked stupid The flares and the wheels. Set the car off.......

I have always loved the Stance of BIG GUS.

It is a shame it had to go.
Now you are just called GUS.
What a shame DOT Had to pick on it!!!!

Now Brian
they never looked stupid The flares and the wheels. Set the car off.......

I have always loved the Stance of BIG GUS.

It is a shame it had to go.
Now you are just called GUS.
What a shame DOT Had to pick on it!!!!

Yeah it looked good with the 10 inch wheels but not the 8's, don't worry it will still have the same flares and wheels just scaled down a bit, probably look better actually.

God you have got to love DOT, after being told that Calmini UCA's are illegal and need to be certified I get told by another inspector to "just paint them flat black" the majority of DOT inspectors and cops wouldn't no the difference, fair dinkum can't wait for this inspection, doing my head in haha

According to my engineer any after market suspension are needs to be engineered which kinda does make sense.However even when I took mine over the rego pits as part of thr Engineering process they didnt even know the UCA werent factory.
My engineer was the first to say if it looks good without bird shit welds all over it then most would not even know but from the legal side of things it needs to be signed off by an engineer to show it is fit for use on the road. Also means no insurance issues

The first couple of Engineers I spoke to said point blank no arm with Heim Joints or Spherical bearings would ever be allowed on the roads and yet the ADR's and NCOP both say they are now allowed .Like all things some Engineers are good and some ........

Just as a side note here, changing your 10 inch rim to an 8 inch wide wheel with -5 offset will still make your wheel track wider than the 50mm allowed by the ncop. Standard d22 wheel is 7 inch with +40. So you increase in wheel track is 45mm each sidr just in offset change plus another 12.5mm for the half inch from the wider wheels. So in total your wheel track increase with by 115mm with the 8 inch -5 iffset wheels, being well over the legal 50mm increase allowable. I know it's less wheel track increase than your old rim/tyre set up but still id say they can knock you back if they like

Just as a side note here, changing your 10 inch rim to an 8 inch wide wheel with -5 offset will still make your wheel track wider than the 50mm allowed by the ncop. Standard d22 wheel is 7 inch with +40. So you increase in wheel track is 45mm each sidr just in offset change plus another 12.5mm for the half inch from the wider wheels. So in total your wheel track increase with by 115mm with the 8 inch -5 iffset wheels, being well over the legal 50mm increase allowable. I know it's less wheel track increase than your old rim/tyre set up but still id say they can knock you back if they like

Took a measurement of a new D22 at Nissan and the difference was 60mm so only 10mm over so depending on what DOT inspector checks it will be interesting as they all have their own idea's it seems.

Latest posts

Back