Camp cooking equipment

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just open fire for me. Have a plate with small legs I throw over it. About 1/3rd. has stainless mesh in it. Good for toast and steak or even the billy.
Like the open fire I think that when getting away from it all, it's just part of the expericance.
I do have a single burner screwed straight to the top of a small bottle for quick coffee stops and emergencies, (no wood:)

That's the one. Yes you do get what you pay for. It's slower at cooking, the outer regions are cooler (I did mention this originally) but at $80 versus $450 I can wait the amount of time it takes to have one more cold one.

Now isn't THAT a friggin' shame? :cheers!:

Weber baby Q™, can not fault it. Cooks everything i put in it brilliantly. I would recommend one of these things to anyone.

Trying to come up with some way of putting it on drawers in the tray that won't cause a fir while it cooks and cools down.

Love my Aldo BBQ. But a little bit of a breeze and it cooks too slow. Great for a bit of cooking for two. But I will buy Althea weber next anyways

Plus one more for the weber baby q.

Camp oven is great for a roast but most places mates and i "camp" your not technically supposed to, which makes a fire a bit hard. So its fishing all night, no tents, roll up sleeping bags/swags early, makes the weber baby q very handy.

We've bitten the bullet and bought not only the Weber Baby Q, but a Dreampot as well.

The Baby Q is miles better than the Aldi one, so we're throwing the Aldi one away (only been used a few times, but in the bin it goes).

The Dreampot is amazing. Absolutely worth the $250 we paid for it at the camping show. Cook the food on a stove for 15 mins then stick it in the pot for 6-8 hours. Pull it out and eat it, it works brilliantly.

Well, um, having been poking around the bush since he middle of last century, the cooking stuff is a broad collection. However, what goes into the CT/Nav when we go away no is;

a) Wood fire(mainly my domain)
Camp oven with couple of cake tins to match.
Large BBQ plate
Large Mesh
Cast kettle(Al) that can go on the wood fire.
20l jam pot for boiling water, etc
Missing is iron ware to support stuff over fire, but I generally kick logs into place.
Gauntlet leather gloves, 2 pair.

b) LPG gas(mainly The Boss's domain)
Three burner stove. Unfortunately coleman as our 20+ year old primus was knicked.
4L sigg + set of 3 stacking billies with domish lids.
Another collection of 4 small billies that are actually all ones I've taken bushwalking and used on wood fires for years. One looks like the old Minmi road.
BBQ plate that fits the stove(scrounged from somewhere)
26cm teflon frypan (cos we purchased it last month when mums hand me down skillet finally lost its bakelite handle. I've never been a frypan user when bushwalking, but the sigg billy and trangia lids could double as frypans if needed.
10l storemaid crate of kitchen tensils(te bosses domain)
3 large poly chopping board(they fit into support spaces of CT kitchen drawer
20l storemaid crate of plates(2x6), bowls(6+2) and 12 cups. Well used plastic atm. The enamel is well retired.
3l tray of knife, fork, spoons(okay it means we don't have to wash up every meal and can cater for extras)
1 x 2 ring(opt 3 ring) cast iron burner(s) for hot water for showers, etc with a 20L boiler.

c)Trangia stoves
1 large and 1 small complete Trangia stoves with kettles. Basically backup, but we started using them as road side cuppa brewing, but we tend to run a good Stanley brand thermos these days. I'm not really a Trangia fan for food cookery, but my trio of liquid fuel stove(MSR & 2 Optimus) badly need major overhauls).

That is the guts of it.

when we go to places where your not aloud open fires i use a cut down beer keg with a camp oven . heat beads . works just like a oven does roasts perfect

Our cooking gear consists mainly of spun steel pans and camp ovens from Hillbilly. Great stuff, works well and easy to look after.

Cheers,
Greg

Jason said:
I tried to tell you that but you were so keen on your extra beer! Ha ha.

And I listened to him!!! Could have used that $80 towards the webber

Atleast not in half an hour cause the sausages won't cook without the lid closed

another one for the webber here. not cheap as a few have pointed out especially when you buy the hot plate and a bag for it but it cooks anything and everything really well, stands up to the rough and tumble of remote touring, very economical on the gas and easy to clean.

only issue is it takes up a bit of room, doesn't worry me with ute and a camper van but if we go outback with no camper it takes up too much space and I revert to a coleman twin burner.

This is a FYI for people to conside and play with
Throw Kelly Kampa Kooker into a web search engine.
Roll your own economical heat bead or charcoal cooker.

All I could find were references in other forums, but somewhere there is a page devoted to this ladies instructions on how to make your own from stuff you purchase at BigW (bowl(s), colader, skewers, etc).
somewhere

I too have a custom made camp fire cooker frame, all the shiz n bits.
It has 3 posi height adjustment for rails to support the bbq plate/s, three hooks for camp-ovens or billy to hang over the fire pit, chain holders on an end too :)
Made it numerous years ago with a friend.
Three camp-ovens 9, 4.5 and 2Qt sizes, cast iron fry pan and suitcase stove with gas cans if needed. Covers almost anything we need to cook up.
edit -
Oh and i love our DreamPot too - slowly getting the mrs to use it more at home too... especially now the temp is dropping and it is soup n stew weather.

Last edited:
This is a FYI for people to conside and play with
Throw Kelly Kampa Kooker into a web search engine.
Roll your own economical heat bead or charcoal cooker.

All I could find were references in other forums, but somewhere there is a page devoted to this ladies instructions on how to make your own from stuff you purchase at BigW (bowl(s), colader, skewers, etc).
somewhere

simple, cheap and by the look of it effective, what else could you say

Latest posts

Back