Cape york august 2013!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might have to look at truck freight for the Nav. I don't know that they(railways) offer car transport anymore, or as much as they previously did.

OTOH, we're spending three weeks, so far, to drive up for "niece's wedding" and probably far longer to get back. Seems the list of places we've got to visit for her family history is getting longer by the day..

You can put car on train at Brisbane and travel by rail to cairns
It was 300 per person plus 350 for car when I checked a few months ago

We just got back from the Cape, we drove from Brissy and then caught the train back from Cairns. There was five of us (wife & 3 kids) we got a three person sleeping berth and also had to pay for two sitting seats (but we never used them) - the cost was
$287.06 per adult in a sleeping berth
$132 per child
$399 for the car (if accompanied by an passenger)
and I think about $250 for the two sitting seats.

The train was great - loved it (it was actually a hilight of the trip) - I loved sitting in the dining carriage and having meals - it was great you could move around - clean toilets, excellent shower(s) - probably the only downside - the train did not have a tv (missed bathurst) nor internet (wtf it's 2012) and it was SLOW - 36 hours from Cairns to Brisbane - I know that it would take you that long to drive and spend a night somewhere but still at times it so slow i.e eight hours from cairns to Townsville.

The only other thing to consider is you need to be very careful with how you prepare your car - they don't like anything outside the cabin i.e. the roof rack cannot be loaded up with "stuff" and strapped down - they don't like anything in the back of the vehicle unless it's a fixture. No gas bottles, fuel cans etc.

We are experienced travellers and travelled light, so we had everything in plastic boxes (in the back) - 1 very large bolted in sealed box and then four smaller plastic "tubs" - at the end of the trip we packed everything down to a single tub which sat on the passenger seat - loaded up the plastic box with all the chairs and mattresses and then packed everything else into carry on hand luggage or very low in the car (QR driver must be able to move the seat back and see out each window) The only exception was the (oz)tent which was in the roof racks but they allowed this as it was the only thing and was strapped down well. In truth they may be more lenient but we did not want to get there and have them say "the cars not travelling like that".

Also they would not look at the car the day before to make sure it was ok to travel.

hope that helps.

de

carontrain.jpg

cy1.jpg

cy3.jpg

cy5.jpg

Last edited:
We just got back from the Cape, we drove from Brissy and the caught the train back from Cairns. There was five of us (wife & 3 kids) we got a three person sleeping berth and also had to pay for two sitting seats (but we never used them) - the cost was
$287.06 per adult in a sleeping berth
$132 per child
$399 for the car (if accompanied by an passenger)
and I think about $250 for the two sitting seats.

The train was great - loved it (it was actually a hilight of the trip) - I loved sitting in the dining carriage and having meals - it was great you could move around - clean toilets, excellent shower(s) - probably the only downside - the train did not have a tv (missed bathurst) nor internet (wtf it's 1012) and it was SLOW - 36 hours from Cairns to Brisbane - I know that it would take you that long to drive and spend a night somewhere but still at times it so slow i.e eight hours from cairns to Townsville.

The only other thing to consider is you need to be very careful with how you prepare your car - they don't like anything outside the cabin i.e. the roof rack cannot be loaded up with "stuff" and strapped down - they don't like anything in the back of the vehicle unless it's a fixture. No gas bottles, fuel cans etc.

We are experienced travellers and travelled light, so we had everything in plastic boxes (in the back) - 1 very large bolted in sealed box and then four smaller plastic "tubs" - at the end of the trip we packed everything down to a single tub which sat on the passenger seat - loaded up the plastic box with all the chairs and mattresses and then packed everything else into carry on hand luggage or very low in the car (QR driver must be able to move the seat back and see out each window) The only exception was the (oz)tent which was in the roof racks but they allowed this as it was the only thing and was strapped down well. In truth they may be more lenient but we did not want to get there and have them say "the cars not travelling like that".

Also they would not look at the car the day before to make sure it was ok to travel.

hope that helps.

de

carontrain.jpg

cy1.jpg

cy3.jpg

cy5.jpg

Sounds great! Jeez that angle looks a bit dodgy on the decent.

Sounds great! Jeez that angle looks a bit dodgy on the decent.

yeah it looks a lot worse than it felt - most people just go over the drop off and smack down hard on the front end - I hate just banging the car around so I kind of drove across the side and down the lip - it was surprisingly smooth and I think a lot easier on the car. We did that part of the trip on our own so I was looking to make sure that we did not damage the car and get stuck in the middle of nowhere without another vehicle.

Last edited:
Where that o/s wheel is it looks like you're ready to tip. Nice driving!

dirtyjocky, You live around warner area? I saw you yesterday driving through the creek at youngs crossing road..Car looks really good!

Count me in as a possible for the trip! August should def be a good time of year and good time for my leave balance to be full!

2013 Cape York Traveling Wilburys tour!!!!!!!!!!!

Possible August 2013 Cape York Traveling Wilburys list:

1. Paul (RLI) & family
2. Fat’s (fatboy89) and his missus
3. Bryan (04silverSTR)
4. Bryce
5. Gunning1987:
6. Sparra (sparra04)
7. Scott (scottybobcat)
8. Luke (luke91)
9. Nathan (lunn86)

Stay tuned!

Regards,

RLI
:rambo:

local mechanics make a fortune from gunshot
if its too risky i will be going around it
ime not risking a good holiday just so i can say i did the gunshot
are we there yet

local mechanics make a fortune from gunshot
if its too risky i will be going around it
ime not risking a good holiday just so i can say i did the gunshot
are we there yet

G'day Sparra,

Mate, we have worked so hard to get our trucks and then spend shit-loads spondolies and time to get them up to scratch. I for one, am not going to risk my vehicle and my families safety 3,000ks away to end up on a Cock-head thread on u-tube!

PS, Draft itinerary coming soon!

Regards,

RLI
:rambo:

i agree paul
xtreme stuff can be done close to home where a mechanical failure due to stupidity can be managed
ime part of this expedition for the end result
standing on the cape with some good travel buddies
and having a great time on the way
not the "my balls are bigger than yours syndrome"
are we there yet

Last edited:
All righty then ! I only just noticed this thread and I'm almost a certain already as Me and a mate at work have been talking about this trip next year even though he has a Hilux :sorry3::homo:

Latest posts

Back