Cheap LED strips

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
72 LEDs now fitted to the side windows shining down, now totalling 240 LEDS drawing 14 watts.

P9192757.jpg

P9192756.jpg

P9192755.jpg

Overkill? Yes
Happy? Very!!

Also fitted a 36 led to replace the interior light, just an ebay job:
P9192754.jpg

I bought a roll of 6mm wide x 10 meters long double sided tape off ebay, its holding but not sure how much longer. May have to glue them on now that I am happy with their positioning.

My canopy already had a constant live wire ran directly to the battery with an inline fuse, I just used a 240v clipsal house style light switch mounted to a mounting block (spacer) which is tek screwed to the top of the canopy near the brake light. Most of the LED wires will need extending, I just used some light-medium figure 8 wire for this

I put these on my roof rack before doing the Simo. The blue ones throw heaps of light! I attached a 12v plug on the end and plugged them into the socket in my tub.

That's correct there not bad for a dollar I ordered 10 and then jumped on and ordered another 10 once the first ones turned up to see how they were.

I had some purple ones delivered, didnt think they were going to be ultra violet but they are! May install them under the dash to come on with the interior light, I think that would be pretty cool

I've replaced the 16 Watt fluoro in our caravan's shower with two of these. Same amount of light, less than a quarter of the power and no stupid ballasts, high voltages and whines that can be heard through the radio.

Yeah it will stay 12v if either in series or parallel taking into account the resistance which isn't high because their such small diodes. I wanted to make sure because a guy I know go told to wire up harbor lights (which are LEDs ) in parallel but later read the instructions to wire them up in series given their multiple strips.

Wanted to make sure before I actually install them so it's all correct. I've gotta found out why he had to do that now I think of it...

Good LED generally isn't cheap, flexible self adhesive LED ribbon sells for between $40-$80 per metre (5 metre rolls). For the top of the line stuff, it runs at about 10-12watts per lineal metre, but with a light output comparable to a 1200mm 36w fluro tube, or better - it's pretty impressive stuff. You can even get strip now that is both dimmable and adjustable colour rendering between cool white and warm white (as well as the full colour changing LED that's been around for a while). We use the LED strip so much these days it's as common in a commercial interior fitout as a downlight.

But horses for courses, if you're happy with the strips you bought I hope they serve you well, for $5 you really have nothing to lose. If you have them running straight from an unregulated supply (ie car battery) they might not last too long as the cheap stuff usually doesn'y have very good electronics, but hey just get another set for $5!!.

The good thing about the massive leaps forward in high quality LED technology means that even the cheap chinese stuff is vastly better than what it was, as the advances do filter down. The main thing I don't like though about the cheap LED is that the quality of the light and the colour rendering is pretty poor (either too blue, or too yellow).

Bit of a tip for everyone, if you're buying any LED products online, without getting into the specifics, if you go for something with fewer actual LED's, with a yellow dot in the centre of the LED, then they will drastically outperform any of the products with lots of small LED's. EG: if you compare a torch with 20 tiny LED's, and a torch with one 3w or 6w Cree LED, the CREE will blow it out of the water every time.

another thing to remember if wiring up multiple LED strips, make sure you don't connect too many strips in a daisy-chain fashion (feed in one end, and out the other end to the next strip etc). Wiring them in this way means that all of the total load of the circuit will be flowing through the individiual conductors of all strips cascading, and generally (especially with cheap LED) the conductors within the strip are not meant to carry any more load than that individual strip. Best way to go is to loop your feed into one end of each strip only, so your cables are taking all of the load and not the LED strip conductors. If you want a wiring diagram (if my description is a bit confusing...) let me know, happy to draw one up for you.

Last edited:
I found that the strip could be pushed into a piece of sail track if the track was spread slightly. The track could then be riveted on to my canopy door.

Works great. :rock:

Attachments

• LED 1.jpg
    LED 1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 150
  • LED 2.jpg
    LED 2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 138
  • LED 3.jpg
    LED 3.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 139
interesting, good idea with the track.

Did you make your drawers yourself? just finished mine last week, i am wrapped with them

Okay mine have arrived and Ive decided on how Ill be wiring them and installing them up.

Ill be Sikaflex'ing (unless someone has found a better way to stick them on) to a piece of acrylic white board , at this moment depending on the light, of the LED strips. Ill then junction them all on this board with a small jbox soldered together.Then sikaflex'ing this board to my canopy. To pick up my supply ill be using the light which is already installed in my hard canopy cover to also switch the LEDs on.

The reason Im using sikaflex is due to its properties to last forever and its ease or removal by just metho and a thin blade.

This should put out a fair amount of light for me to use whilst camping/fishing/exploring in my beast of a D22. Now to get started... Once Ive repaired my hinge on the canopy after some drunk pushed the window up too far and wrecked the rolled hinge at a party!

Last edited:
How's everyone going with their LED strips? any chance of some pictures for inspiration? I'm going to get another lot and am wondering how you're all going.

How's everyone going with their LED strips? any chance of some pictures for inspiration? I'm going to get another lot and am wondering how you're all going.

Still haven't fu#king received them. The supplier said they have resent them but i'm now thinking they are holding out for the PayPal complaint thingy to expire.

Not happy:devil:

I've replaced the fluoro light in the shower/toilet in our caravan with 2 LED strips, power consumption gone down from 1.3A to 0.3A and the light output is nearly as good.

We tried 3 of them over the kitchen sink/stove area but that wasn't enough light, I'm considering using 4 in 2 pairs over each side, but want a nice tube to put them in so that it doesn't look ugly.

Suffice it to say we're getting more of them. I'm going to put a line of them on the inside of the caravan's front boot, so that when I open the boot I have lighting that shows me what is in the boot as well as shining on the gas bottles and the hydraulics for the stabilisers, jockey wheel etc.

Latest posts

Back