Clamp vs riveted roof racks

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok fair enough. My racks are on solid and dont move at all. Only have an awning mounted on them. And put a few things on them when going away. So I'll never test their max load rating. Do you know anyone that has had them fail?

I would call sliding all around the door jam and trashing the paint, which also caused the strap that my ladders were tied on with to loosen and fall off a fail.

Could of lost my ladders into on coming traffic or worse through them in through some poor buggers windshield.

Having an awning mounted to them will also be keeping them spaced and helping them not slide around i guess.
But you load them up and tie a good load of super tight and you will see even a good ratchet will pull them together, you just dont get that with the track mount.

My point is if you have the coin and are in the market for a brand new set up why not put on the system that works best and has more flexibility in the way of personalising the location and what you carry, for a few extra $ you can put on a set up that you cant go wrong with and will do any thing you want.

I would call sliding all around the door jam and trashing the paint, which also caused the strap that my ladders were tied on with to loosen and fall off a fail.

Could of lost my ladders into on coming traffic or worse through them in through some poor buggers windshield.

Yeah sounds like they were dodgy. But dont think all clamp on racks would do that.

Having an awning mounted to them will also be keeping them spaced and helping them not slide around i guess.
But you load them up and tie a good load of super tight and you will see even a good ratchet will pull them together, you just dont get that with the track mount.

Tieing off like that would not be helping. But i see what you're saying.

My point is if you have the coin and are in the market for a brand new set up why not put on the system that works best and has more flexibility in the way of personalising the location and what you carry, for a few extra $ you can put on a set up that you cant go wrong with and will do any thing you want.

Yeah i agree a brand new setup get the best.

According to Mr Nissan at Motorama in Moorooka the D22 ROOF is only rated for 80Kg load capacity.

Food for thought if true.

Nath, Roof rack city in Canberra (either store) could not install a washer or nut on a bolt. They have no chance if installing somthing so complicated as a roof rack or bike carrier.

According to Mr Nissan at Motorama in Moorooka the D22 ROOF is only rated for 80Kg load capacity.

Food for thought if true.

Nath, Roof rack city in Canberra (either store) could not install a washer or nut on a bolt. They have no chance if installing somthing so complicated as a roof rack or bike carrier.

Mr Nissan would be lucky to know where the roof is.

The Older guy i spoke to and that tried to adjust the clamp seemed to be quite knowledgeable and was also kind enough to give be a stack of spare Rhino accessories nut and bolts so i could bolt up my awning and have spares.
He was also one to point out that Nissan had installed the incorrect system for what i would be carrying and also where i might travel.
Worked out well because then i was then able to show Nissan the Rhino web page where it showed that what they had fitted was not suitable to my needs and it was not what i requested, so they installed the track mount.

From my experience they seemed really good.

I have had both types, i had the flat oval shaped ones on my d22, not only are they just as noisy as the square ones but are flimsy and flex like rubber with a load on.

I have been using square ones ever since my D22 and i dont really find the noise bad at all, but i could just be so use to the sound i pay no attention anymore.

The other issue is with the flat aero style or oval you cant get as many attachments for them like shovel and hi-lift ect accessories.

After using both i wouldnt waste a cent on the flat type even if they were slightly quieter then the square ones, and from my own experience they are not.

Yeah, that's true about more accessories. My Dad has the flat oned and his seem quieter and could just be me but when I was working at BCF we had a few people exchange the square for flat ones and said it made a difference, I suppose everyone is different. Maybe you just totally switch off Nath lol

I have been running the sliding track mounted Rola racks for years with the riveted track . Never had a problem. Only recently been thinking of making up my own basket rack. As for load ratings there are a lot of variables. Really depends on how and where it is mounted and also type of rack. Thinking of running a steel or alloy rack that I can fabricate .still in the thinking process atm. Cheers

Get the track mount popvioted to ya roof. There more secure than the slip on!! No from experience they r shit. Either go to ya dealer to get it dne or arb also have them..

image-2387742372.jpg

In the picture had slip on ones. Had to have straps to hold them down.

Ah yeah forgot about that happening to you, I remember seeing the strap wrapped over the doors at the 2013 Muster.

Yep they were Gordy, and if you look at the pic you will see that he actually had three on and they still fell off.

You can pretty easily remove the bars from the track mount ones if you don't need them on for some reason anyway Gordy. Mine came with a magic tool to install/remove/adjust them etc.

Well looking around site, every car with roof racks has the clamp on type. All fully loaded with ladders, scaffolding and shit. Should i ask them if they have issues with them falling off?

Well looking around site, every car with roof racks has the clamp on type. All fully loaded with ladders, scaffolding and shit. Should i ask them if they have issues with them falling off?

Maybe you should? you might find out they they are a pain in the arse and move around and need to be tightened up all the time and maybe you will find people like Oilad and myself that have had a crappy run with them???
but really Its all good mate if you like the clamp on ones then thats cool, but there is nothing wrong with the track mount ones.
Like we have said before if you are buying a new set and have the $$ the track mount one are better hands down for allot of reasons not just the fact that they have a better load ratting, are better suited to 4X4's and the types of accessories we carry.

No ones forcing you to take yours off or saying you dont know what you are talking about,

I highly doubt it. Seeing as mine have never needed to be tighten up. Even before i had the awning on. Which you think is helping mine stay where they are. Lol. Im not gonna replace them. Why on earth would i replace something that works perfectly? If they are so susceptible to fall off as you keep implying. They would not be sold. Simple as that really.

Haha it would not be the first time a totally flawed shit design has been sold and touted to be great, then one or two people who don't even put weight on them like you, then say how good they are just because they were duped into buying a shit item.
I don't remember saying you should get rid of them in fact I said because you love them so much you should stick to them.
I know that i will never waist my hard earned dollars on the m that's for sure. Lol

Lol, I didnt buy them they came with the car. So i was never duped" into buying them haha. The builder i bought my car from had no dramas with them. But then again he knew how to tie off properly.

Bahaha!! Yeah that would be it, there is know way the rack could come off and move with the stuff still tied to the rack.
Oilads stuff that was tied to his cage was the reason the rack that was clamped to the door jam came off and trashed his car.

But hey i suppose you have to be a builder to know how to tie stuff down, i mean what would i know ive only been tying roofing and guttering materials to roof racks for 25years.

The fishing is good here in this thread lmfao!!

Apparently you ratchet from rack to rack? No need to do that. No wonder they move lol. Do that to your chassi and see if it moves

Latest posts

Back